Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2005, 02:29 PM
pastorjunk

Talking Proud new owner! Couple of questions

I just bought a Pearl White 92 SVX lsl with 178K on it about two weeks ago. So naturally, the first thing I did was look for a good message board. I've been reading for a couple of weeks while I waited for my account to get validated and I can tell this a great board.
I'll tell you a little about the car and how I came to desire it. For the past year or so, I had seen a nice svx in the park near my house. Every time I would see, it i would wonder what it was and then remmeber after a little investegation. So, recently when I started to look for a new car, I kept my radar up for one. I found this one on Cars.com. It has a rebuilt trans, which was something I wanted with a hgh mileage svx and the wheel bearings have been done. I am the third owner and the last guy was pretty meticulous. He had every record of anything that had ever been done, which was pretty much everything. I got the impression that he was one of those guys that brought it in for an oil change and told the mechanics to do anything else they thought was needed. The only issues are some paint on the bumpers (which will be taken care of by my bro-in-laws friend at a dealer) and a very small transmission leak that the owner had paper work from a shop telling him that it was nothing to worry about. I've checking the trans fluid level and it must be a real small leak, bc the level hasn't changed at all yet.
So far, the car has been a pleasure to drive. I love the stares I get and the surprised looks when i floor it. The only mods I could find are a k&n intake and that the resistor next to the battery was unplugged. I liked the shifts when it was unplugged but it made driving in 3 pretty useless. Since I drive mostly between 45-55 everywhere I go, the top gear shifts were annoying me. So I hooked the resistor back up so I can drive in 3. From what I read, I think this was the best choice. I have not seen the power light come on, although I think I have gotten it into power mode, because the shift points change when I floor it so that it revs all the way up. Any idea why the light is not coming on?
Again, I'd like to express my appreciation to the knowledge on this board. I look ofrward to meeting some of you in the future.

Dave
Old 05-03-2005, 02:33 PM
ThetaReactor

Well, after 178k miles of "proper" SVX driving, maybe the bulb's burnt out on the power light...
Old 05-03-2005, 02:36 PM
pastorjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaReactor
Well, after 178k miles of "proper" SVX driving, maybe the bulb's burnt out on the power light...
Nope it still comes on at start up for 2 secs..
Old 05-03-2005, 02:49 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
#1- Welcome to our wonderful abode. we are a nice people who enjoy such things as detailing our cars and driving rediculous distances to see eachother

#2- Congrats on a good buy. Transmission and wheel bearings are two thing people should really look at in these cars.

#3- That transmission fluid leak could be powersteering. Our powersteering systems take dextron III atf fluid, just like the trans.

Have fun with your baby but don't go getting into any trouble.

Tom
Old 05-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Send a message via MSN to pavanbabut Send a message via Yahoo to pavanbabut
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorjunk
Nope it still comes on at start up for 2 secs..
so then why to wait depress it hard at once while driving and look at the "power light".... . There it reminds u of the power tht is immaculately stored/hidden in SVX.

Anyway welcome aboard and hope u will enjoy every peice of time over here.
Drive safely and enjoy the ride.

-Pavan.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:51 PM
no more SVX...

Send a message via AIM to BordeauxComet Send a message via Yahoo to BordeauxComet
I think the power light might not come on with the shifter in 3. Try seeing if it comes on in D.

'03 VW GTI 1.8T
'94 SVX LS Bordeaux Pearl (wrecked, sold..)

My Locker
Old 05-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
The easiest way to get the power light on (other than turning the key) is to let off the gas before you punch it.

The oil leak may not be the tranny but a bad or loose power steering hose.
Old 05-03-2005, 07:39 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Welcome to the site. This is a great place to find out much information.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 05-03-2005, 08:08 PM
pastorjunk

now that I think about it, it does seem a bit stiff turning the wheel right after start up, although it goes away after that. I'll check the power steering fluid in the morning. Thanks.
Old 05-04-2005, 12:59 PM
pastorjunk

Ok, well I got the power light on when it was in D!! That was fun to see. Now I'll probably never look for it again.

The power steering fluid was fine and the trans fluid is still fine. The only thing I can figure is that it seems my oil dipstick likes to pop up abnout an inch off and maybe some oil is getting out that way. The oil level was about halfway between the the full and add lines, so I'll keep an eye on that I guess.

I'm still a very happy owner. it looks like the weather is going to hold up today so I'm hoping to wash it after I cut the grass.

Dave
Old 05-04-2005, 02:45 PM
Maniac modifier

the oil dip stick is due to a worn o-ring. Oil should not be cooming up and out of there at all. I think you may have a loose hose on the trans lines or the p.s. lines. Just drip every once and a while with no real loss.

Tom
Old 05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
One teal and One yellow

Congrat on your purchase!

Are you the only pastor on this board? Are you the only pastor who owns the SVX? A young pastor?

Glad you like the car. Are you the only SVX owner attended the Sunday Service at your church?

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 05-05-2005, 07:23 AM
pastorjunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSSVX
Congrat on your purchase!

Are you the only pastor on this board? Are you the only pastor who owns the SVX? A young pastor?

Glad you like the car. Are you the only SVX owner attended the Sunday Service at your church?
I'm not sure if I'm the only pastor on this board or the only one who owns a SVX. I guess I'm a young pastor since I'm only 27 and yes, I definitely have the only svx at our church.

Dave
Old 05-05-2005, 07:24 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by pastorjunk
I'm not sure if I'm the only pastor on this board or the only one who owns a SVX. I guess I'm a young pastor since I'm only 27 and yes, I definitely have the only svx at our church.

Dave
Sweet, I wish the pastor at my old church would have had an SVX, they all drove ford tauruses.

Tom
Old 05-05-2005, 11:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Welcome to the SVX family. I hope your SVX gives you as much sheer joy as mine does.
Now for the 'power light'. I will impart and age old secret handed down thru the ages from one generation of SVXers to the next.

When the car is rolling (about 40mph) pick the heel of your right foot slightly.
With your heel still up in the air, stab down hard on the accelerator pedal with the toe of your right foot. That should bring the power light on.

This knowledge was imparted to me many years ago by a wise blonde SVXer who now drag races old school buses in Latvia.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!