How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-20-2005, 03:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
5mt cable trans replaced by hydro push style?

I want to get a new trans. My question is this, since there are very few cable transmissions out there up tp the job, can i convert a push style hydro trans to accept a cable? Is it more than just bolting up the cable and hooking it up the end of the fork? Well please anyone throw some knowledge at me.

Tom
Old 04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
THAWA

I don't know for certain if you can convert every one from hydro to cable, but I do know you can convert some years. I personally am using a 98 rs trans in my legacy converted from hydro to cable. You need to change the pivot pin position from the top one to the bottom (or vice versa, I forget right now). And use the cable style clutch fork. I assume you are using a cable style clutch/brake bracket, but if not you need that specific bracket. My question to you though is, why not use the hydro setup?
Old 04-26-2005, 11:29 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
I do agree with using the hydro setup. In the end you have a better product. Since you've already put so much into your car so far, this should almost be a given.

WRX pedals would probably be the easiest ones to install. It's too bad you weren't closer as you could see how good the pedals fit.

See http://svx-iw.com/pics/5speed/images/IM002358.jpg for a pic of the SVX pedals beside the WRX pedals. The only modification was I cut the top 2 bolt holes off the SVX assembly (near the brake switch) and welded it to the end of the WRX assembly.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:21 PM
Maniac modifier

I may do this this in time, but right now, I am not too concerned with converting over to hydro.
Thnx for the pix dave

Tom
Old 04-28-2005, 07:04 PM
Superbeast

I don't belive there is really any benifit is changing from cable to hydro unless you are gonna use a pull style tranny/clutch. Altho no one seems to be able to conclude this answer; I'm sure Subaru uses the pull style clutch becuse it's desing makes it hold stronger. You should be able to get a clutch that will hold as much as you want with the cable tranny, just as much as a push style hydro tranny. The only real reason to switch to a hydro pedal assembly is if you plan to run a pull style tranny, ( ie. Turbo Legacy, WRX, STI)
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-28-2005, 08:14 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subafreak
I don't belive there is really any benifit is changing from cable to hydro unless you are gonna use a pull style tranny/clutch. Altho no one seems to be able to conclude this answer; I'm sure Subaru uses the pull style clutch becuse it's desing makes it hold stronger. You should be able to get a clutch that will hold as much as you want with the cable tranny, just as much as a push style hydro tranny. The only real reason to switch to a hydro pedal assembly is if you plan to run a pull style tranny, ( ie. Turbo Legacy, WRX, STI)
The pull type pressure plate clutch has a different finger arrangement that allows a higher spring pressure, AND a lower pedal pressure. This would be the best clutch to use all round.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 04-28-2005, 08:24 PM
Superbeast

Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
The pull type pressure plate clutch has a different finger arrangement that allows a higher spring pressure, AND a lower pedal pressure. This would be the best clutch to use all round.

Harvey.

I KNEW IT WAS TRUE!!!!!!!
92 SVX #772 140k 6speed, ECU Tune stage II, Koni/Ground control, 3,270lbs.
91 Legacy Turbo 5spd. FMIC, crappy stock turbo, ACT clutch.
78 BRAT (New toy) (Soon to be EJ22T powered)
90 240 SX. RB25 powered!! DRIFT!!!111!!! (GF's car)

To many cars to spend time on teh web!
Old 04-28-2005, 11:03 PM
Maniac modifier

the next trans I plan on buying is the forester xt trans with 4.11s. Seems to be the strongest 4.11 5mt out there so looks like thats it. Also, If I ever blow that trans up, I will probly go with a 6mt but that wouldn't happen for a long time. Hydro looks to be my best option right now.

Tom