Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-16-2005, 04:02 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Transmission Rant - Non SVX

For the past month or so I've been researching cars to replace the SVX in about a year, or less if my dad buys a new car. I'm pretty much set on getting another luxury coupe, and thought I was set on an Acura 3.0CL. After a little research I've discovered that they too have transmission problems (perhaps even worse than the SVX). Time to look for something else...

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-16-2005, 08:27 PM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Have fun trying to sell the SVX.....its a veryyy difficult thing to do...believe me ive tried twice lol

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 03-16-2005, 10:13 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Good luck finding a good automatic transmission. You'll find that almost all automatic cars either have unreliable transmissions or have semi-reliable transmissions that cost $5000 to replace. Niether is a good bet.

My solution - get a manual! I learned to drive on a manual tranny and my first two cars were manual. I was stuck with autos for awhile but now i'm back in clutch world and loving it. But here's the best part...my car in automatic form is notorious for transmission problems (the result of applying 350lb/ft of torque to a transmission whose design limits are 360lb/ft)...replacing that tranny runs about $1800 installed. Price for replacing my T-56 (6-speed)? About half that. Even cheaper for me because I can install the thing myself. Plus with manuals you have a sacrificial link (the clutch) that tends to keep the heat off the tranny itself.

So find yourself a CL Type-S (that's a 5-speed i believe). I like the Acura cars alot, especially that new TL.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:15 AM

have you looked at the Lexus SC300/400 at all? They're pretty similar to the SVX fit-and-finish wise and quite sporty
Old 03-17-2005, 08:21 AM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
have you looked at the Lexus SC300/400 at all? They're pretty similar to the SVX fit-and-finish wise and quite sporty
The thing that's been keeping me away from one is the RWD, and the price (I wanted to get something 99' or newer, and those are above $15k). Have you owned/driven one in the snow?

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-17-2005, 09:31 AM

Steve I will tell you this....with our C32 AMG RWD in the snow....well lets just say it took me 5 mins to get out of the driveway because of how much i was peeling out.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
The thing that's been keeping me away from one is the RWD, and the price (I wanted to get something 99' or newer, and those are above $15k). Have you owned/driven one in the snow?
The Acura isn't AWD so I figured that wasn't a priority. If you're that concerned about the three or four snowstorms we get in Jersey per year I'd just stick with the SVX or buy another suby. There isn't that much out there 99+ thats Quick, Comfortable and AWD. Theres even less out there for under $15k. Your going to have to compromise some of those features, or you're going to have to spend more money or settle for something a bit older than '99

I'm dead tired right now, but lemme think up some suggestions and get back to this thread.
Old 03-17-2005, 12:29 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvPPoW
The Acura isn't AWD so I figured that wasn't a priority. If you're that concerned about the three or four snowstorms we get in Jersey per year I'd just stick with the SVX or buy another suby. There isn't that much out there 99+ thats Quick, Comfortable and AWD. Theres even less out there for under $15k. Your going to have to compromise some of those features, or you're going to have to spend more money or settle for something a bit older than '99

I'm dead tired right now, but lemme think up some suggestions and get back to this thread.
AWD isn't necessary, but RWD is definately unfavorable in the snow.

Right now I'm concidering: Integra, 3.0 or 3.2 CL, Prelude, Mazda 3, Miata (if I choose to go RWD), Impreza 2.5RS Coupe

All fairly quick (perhaps with the exception of the 3), all fairly comfortable (except for maybe the Impreza), and the Miata is the only RWD. If I got a great deal on something else I'd take it though, because value is the key factor to me.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 03-17-2005, 12:45 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
Has everyone forgotten about winter tires? No one seems to use them anymore.

During the last big snow we had this season, I was right behind a BMW M5 on my way home from work. There was about 4" of snow on the road. This was entertaining. You could tell it had traction control because the rear wheels would spin then stop abruptly then spin again...etc. The problem was that the car just didn't move. The traction control worked great, but the car still didn't move. The problem? I could be wrong...but the 275/35/18 Michelin Pilots Might have had SOMETHING to do with it. A good set of NARROWER winter tires would have done worlds of good for that poor guy.

RWD with traction control and a good set of winter tires is liveable in this area. It's not great, but for the one or two times per year that I have to drive actually ON snow, I could certainly live with it (especially if it were a very nice/fast car).
Old 03-17-2005, 12:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I agree with the GM zealot on this one. I was a little concerned about driving my MR2 on snow and ice, but with decent tires the car does admirably. It may take more attention to drive, but it's definitely got better traction than even the Justy had.

But I also understand that driving an AWD car, like a Subaru, makes one dependent. They work well enough in bad conditions that one can imagine that nothing else will suffice.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 03-17-2005, 01:40 PM
No longer blue member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Pockets
I agree with the GM zealot on this one. I was a little concerned about driving my MR2 on snow and ice, but with decent tires the car does admirably. It may take more attention to drive, but it's definitely got better traction than even the Justy had.

But I also understand that driving an AWD car, like a Subaru, makes one dependent. They work well enough in bad conditions that one can imagine that nothing else will suffice.
I can't say I'm dependent, but adding $ for snow tires on a car that's already breaking the bank isn't exactly my first choice.

Besides the Miata, and the SC300, the only other RWD car that seems to fit is the 240SX, or possibly an MR2 spyder.

Accord, Civic, Sentra, Altima, Celica, Impreza, Corolla, are all to boring for me.

01' MSM Lexus IS300

Last edited by SubaSteevo; 03-17-2005 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast

Accord, Civic, Sentra, Altima, Celica, Impreza, Corolla, are all to boring for me.
An integra will be equally as boring. An Impreza can be a fun car to mod as there are aftermarket products and parts made for it...not to mention that it is AWD and great in the snow. Try looking for a 2.5RS.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: