SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2002, 02:15 PM
tkd_q45

Question Is your SVX your daily driver?

Hi All,

I'm so glad to have found this forum! I too am a fan of this fine car. Anyhow, I was wondering how many of you use your SVX as daily drivers. I would like to get one but I can only afford to drive/own one car. I know that transmissions, rear wheel bearings and alternators are the main problems.

Would it be unwise to buy a 100K+ SVX? How do they hold up past 100K?

Are there any years that are better than others? I notice there are a lot of deals on 92s. Other than the above mentioned problems are there others?

Do accessories ie ac/heating, power windows etc hold up with time?

How about structually? Are any of your high mileage SVXs starting to rattle/loosen up with age?

Ride quality/NHV – how is it? My wife now drives my 92 Q45 – I like the NHV qulity of this car, it certainly isn't the quietest of cars but is fine for me.

Thanks in advance
Tom
Old 01-13-2002, 02:54 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Tom,

The SVX lasts forever. It is slightly costly to maintain at times though. It all depends on the SVX. Mine for example has no trouble with the back bearings at all.

One of the regulars here, Doug, has a SVX with over 200k miles and is running fine. I have seen it personally.

Good luck with your hunt.
Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-13-2002, 06:00 PM
svxeno

Re: Is your SVX your daily driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by tkd_q45
[B]Hi All,

I'm so glad to have found this forum! I too am a fan of this fine car. Anyhow, I was wondering how many of you use your SVX as daily drivers.
Tom,

I've had mine for only two months. I'm using as my all time commuter. I am just now getting past the paranoya of tranny worries and the such and REALLY starting to enjoy it. (The only two major things I've had done was replacement of the passenger front axle and a tranny flush and fill)

Not too bad for 1992 w/99k on it. There are a few lesser things that need to be addressed but, so far reliable. It is so worth it.

Randy (Not as scared as I was) ii

Last edited by Chris; 01-13-2002 at 08:15 PM.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:31 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

It's actually my wifes car

but it has been her daily driver since it was purchased in 1995 with 28K miles. We now have 136K miles and it has been a good vehicle. Not the best, or least costly that I have owned, but I can heartily recommend one as a daily driver.
Engine is very understressed and well designed, brakes are very good (I've never had a rotor warp and just replaced the original front rotors about two months ago), trans needs to be flushed and should have an aux. cooler, but if the owner maintained the car and has records it should be a solid car for you.
Old 01-13-2002, 07:49 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I use my '92 daily - short 12 mile commute, some sales calls, one long trip, a couple of SVX meets - total 20K this year, now has 96K. No problems. I don't consider the oil leak a problem. All my cars always leaked something; a family tradition, no doubt.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 01-14-2002, 09:30 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I used my SVX as my daily driver for a little over two years. I looked forward to every mile I had to drive. I found the SVX to be safe, reliable, comfortable and exciting to drive. When I put it away, I had put on 30k miles in two years with no major complaints.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 01-14-2002, 01:02 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Wife's car

She averages about 500 miles/week. We had it in for service last week and it had a bad A/C idler and belt, and front brakes. That's it. That's also about the extent of our 'major' repairs (besides a bad sensor about two years ago - warrantee). In fact, with about 120,000 miles on it, they didn't want to repack the bearings (no play - things just looked too good) or change the *original* spark plugs (they just don't need it right now), or mess with the CV joints - all of which I gave them permission to do if they thought it might be necessary.

All that being said, if I bought another, it'd be a '95 or newer.
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 01-14-2002, 02:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
It's my daily driver for an 80 mile per day round trip commute. I've put about 61K miles on it since I bought it in Aug '99. It had 109K on it when I bought it. Engine is strong as ever. No bearing problems, I was in tranny hell, but it was only because some idiot tried to do a cheapy repair and put a Legacy tranny in it -- not a good idea.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 01-14-2002, 02:48 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Yes, it's my daily driver - I average about 700+ miles/week. Currently, she has about 84K miles; I've accounted for 37K of those. Repairs to date are one rear wheel bearing. I hope that's all I have to do in the next 37K.

Transmissions can be an issue with this car, but it seems more so on the 92-93 models than the 94-97 MY cars. If you can find it, I would recommend you consider a 95-97. In any event, do your best to know the car's ownership and maintenance history.

With normal preventative maintenance, the car should give you great service, unless you happen to get one that is just dogged out to begin with.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 01-14-2002, 03:47 PM
Lowered SVX

drive her everyday.

beyond the known problems the svx is pretty much trouble free. if you dont drive aggressively (like me) the car should give you very little trouble.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"