How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-21-2001, 05:47 PM
taohog

Question noise under car

My name is Andy and I just purchased a 92 SVX several months ago. My only serious problem is a "noise" under the floorboard. It seems to be coming from the heat shields that protect the car from the heat off the exhaust. I was thinking about just removing all of these heat shields and wrapping the exhaust with heat tape. Has anyone else tried this?? Or does anyone have a better solution? thanks Andy
Old 12-22-2001, 05:40 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: noise under car

Quote:
Originally posted by taohog
My name is Andy and I just purchased a 92 SVX several months ago. My only serious problem is a "noise" under the floorboard. It seems to be coming from the heat shields that protect the car from the heat off the exhaust. I was thinking about just removing all of these heat shields and wrapping the exhaust with heat tape. Has anyone else tried this?? Or does anyone have a better solution? thanks Andy
What kind of a noise is it? Is it a metallic rattling kind of noise? It could be a few things.

Rocks or other debris caught in the heat shields. On a '92, it's likely that the bolts attaching the heat shields are rusty and not really useful. You may end up removing the heat shields in a rather destructive way.

Damage to the heat shields. I MUNGed one of my heat shields good a couple months after I bought the car and it rattled like crazy.

Exhaust resonator. These have been known to make bad noises. Replacing is expensive, so many folks have just had the thing cut out and replaced with a straight pipe, welded right in. The costs tends to be about $50, and I guess there is little difference in the exhaust noise.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-22-2001, 08:38 PM
taohog

yes, the noise seems to be more of a metallic rattle. But it is extremely difficult to try and make the noise happen and also as difficult to isolate exactly where the noise is coming from. Therefore, I thought about removing all of the heat shields.