Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-04-2004, 04:51 PM
Pearlywhites1992

Exhaust troubles

I peeked under my car to see why it was suddenly
as loud as a Mustang GT, and could see where time has taken it's toll on the exhaust. It seems OK, until about the middle of the car, just before what I believe is the resonator some people have removed. In fact it's leaking pretty badly right there. What have others done faced with this situation? Time for mods?
TIA!
Tim
Old 04-04-2004, 08:26 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

If you have an exhaust leak right before the resonator, it's probably a gasket that's worn down. This could be a really cheap fix (gasket's run about $5, and labor will take less that 1/2 hour).

However, if you want to use this as an excuse to get a Stebro or SVX motorsports exhaust system...

Go for it!

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)

Last edited by Chiketkd; 04-05-2004 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:14 AM
Pearlywhites1992

However, if you want to use this as an excuse to get a Stebro or SVX motorsports exha

I was hoping you'd say that!
Where do they start, literally? In front of that resonator?
Thanks,
Tim
Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 AM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Where does what start????

If you mean the aftermarket exhaust systems...they start at the catalytic convertor which is before the resonator.

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-05-2004, 10:07 AM
tancred

I used my leak as an excuse to buy Motorsports SVX exhaust system...hehe, rattling heat shield. Oh I GUESS we have to replace it all.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
nah, go for custom exhaust

You can do like i did and take it to a small muffler shop and have them remove everything between the engine and the muffler. Replace the 3 subaru cats with 2 high flow 5.0 mustang cats then weld together a Y-pipe and run a single 2 1/2 pipe back to the stock muffler. It sounds great! A little throatier than normal without sounding like a freight train like that crappy stebro exhaust. Plus this increases your flow and makes the car run a hell of a lot faster. Gimme a bit and i'll put pics in my locker of the set up. All in all it cost me exactly $306. Its a great alternative to one of the super pricey exhaust systems that are out there.

I also have a glass pack on mine in place of the resonator. I like it but its not for everyone.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-05-2004, 02:28 PM
Posting since Dec.'98
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
What did you do with the O2 sensors?
Old 04-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
O2 sensor is still there

On the new pipe from the engine they cut a hole and welded a bolt to it that the O2 sensor screws into. Its right at about the same place it was on the stock system. Nice thing is that i never have to worry about rattling heat sheilds again either. Check out my locker for pics of the system. I have pics of the stock setup there as well for comparison.

~Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 04-06-2004, 04:58 AM
Pearlywhites1992

Check out my locker for pics of the system

Thanks Ray, I was hoping you might reply. I printed out your ehaust mods years ago, planning to do it when it needed replacing; but I lost the piece of paper.
Tim On my way to see my friend at Midas.......
Old 04-06-2004, 08:59 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
Talking hope it goes well

Let me know if they can do it....well i know they can do it. Its not that hard of a procedure, but it seems that some places don't want to do it or if they do they want to gouge (sp?) you on the price. Let me know how it turns out. Too bad you're not closer to KC, i would just take you by my shop. They do awesome work there.

~Ray
Old 04-06-2004, 11:02 AM
JackieBeans

Same thing

The same thing happened to mine. I have a 92. It was the "donut" (official subaru term) that goes between the resonator and the pipe. About a 23.00 part and some time to have it replaced.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:58 AM
Pearlywhites1992

It was the "donut"

Thanks JackieBeans! I may do that since I just
bought a new truck. Unless I can find where my exhaust
buddy went.......
Welcome to the SVX club!
Tim
Old 04-06-2004, 12:24 PM
JackieBeans

Glad to be of help

Glad to offer my services. . . Although for 300 bucks I would entertain a couple of mustang cats and a weldi9ng job to get som additional horse power. Better than the 1100 or so dollars to install a new exhaust system on the car.