Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-04-2004, 08:16 PM
cpelsy2k1

svx shopping, tranny issues!?

hey guys,

im heading down south over spring break and hopefully ill be picking up a sweet SVX but i wanted to know what to look for in the tranny. someone mentioned that they shouldnt shirt hard and that wthey should be smooth, any other advice?? plus whats the most mileage you guys think a tranny should have on it if i dont wanta have tranny troubles for atleast a few years?? the one guy has 115k on his tranny and he used synthetic tranny fluid, but is that enough or is that too many miles?? also any other things i should look for while shopping?? thanks
Old 04-04-2004, 11:59 PM
Live it, Love it, Breathe it

Send a message via Yahoo to SVX-FF
The tranny should not shift hard if all is right. If it does shift hard check to see if the resistor is unpluged behind the battery, in the fender wall. Mileage is not as important as the maintance that was or was not preformed. My SVX had 86,000 miles when I bought it and at 88,000 it went up. Ask about service history. If it is a 92 or 93 these were the years most prone to trouble than later years. If the service was preformed at the correct time and by a compatant tech then you should have less chance of trouble.

Good luck and welcome!!

Steve

SVXepidia SVX information warehouse
Are you in?

My Old Locker

A 4.11 Founding Father
"Tranny #6" I really need a manual

Reading IX

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ya I was there
Old 04-05-2004, 06:11 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Re: svx shopping, tranny issues!?

cpelsy2k1 I was told to shift the transmission into drive, drive forwards for a bit, then brake and shift into reverse. If the tranny doesn't go into reverse very easily then you may have a tranny on the way out. Also, someone mentioned that 2nd and 4th gears go out first in the forward gears.

Good luck with your purchase! I'm also looking to purchase an SVX and have the same concerns...

Quote:
Originally posted by cpelsy2k1
hey guys,

im heading down south over spring break and hopefully ill be picking up a sweet SVX but i wanted to know what to look for in the tranny. someone mentioned that they shouldnt shirt hard and that wthey should be smooth, any other advice?? plus whats the most mileage you guys think a tranny should have on it if i dont wanta have tranny troubles for atleast a few years?? the one guy has 115k on his tranny and he used synthetic tranny fluid, but is that enough or is that too many miles?? also any other things i should look for while shopping?? thanks

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 04-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Jedi Member

While you're looking, can you find me a nice SVX with a fragged tranny so I can do a 5spd swap? Thanks.
'01 Legacy Outback, White,