How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-08-2003, 07:53 AM
StaceyVX

Cool I Need Advice...Again

I'm sorry I keep asking for opinions, but I don't want to get myself into anything that will be a problem...Okay, I'm now looking at a 92 touring SVX near me and here's the lowdown.

Here's all the info I obtained from the guy:
"I took the car on a road trip in October (Springfield, MA), and it was perfect. Since then, I've driven it for the day maybe once or twice a month. Other than what's described in the listing (the window switch), there's nothing I'm aware of that needs to be fixed. There are a couple non-issues that someone might decide they would rather have taken care of - one is the 'check engine' light on the dash comes on intermiitantly: it's been that way for years; I had the dealer evaluate it and was told that when they hooked up the computer to it, since it was triggering error codes randomly and with no pattern, then they decided it must be a fault in the wiring harness and it was up to me if I wanted them to perform electrical diagnostics to see if they could pinpoint ithe source of the false errors. Since such work could take hours, I decided it wasn't worth it, and that I'd live with the light. The other one is in one of the exhaust pipes - when the tach is exactly on 2k, and only 2k, you sometimes hear a buzzing sound. This comes from the fact that inside a sealed area in one of the exhaust pipes is a section containing baffling, and one of the baffles has come loose, and as the air passes through it, at a certain speed, it causes it to vibrate at a certain harmonic. When I had this looked at, they told me it was again my choice whether to replace it for a few hundred bucks (dealer cost; I'm sure it's a lot less with used parts), or to just live with the harmless but sometimes annoying sound. So since I wasn't going to drive it terribly often, I chose not to spend on the replacement. This also was several years ago. And the tires are in good shape, some tread wear, but a good deal of life left. You'll check that out when you see it.

I've had a chance to go through the service records; I'll brief you on a few highlights. The car currently has 125,700 miles. The timing belt was done in '99, at 93,000 miles. Power steering rack was done at 45,000 miles. Left side CV boot was replaced at 78,000 miles (and I'm pretty sure the other side was done at some point, but didn't find the invoice). A 4-wheel alignment was done at 82,000 miles. Both front lower ball joints at 87,000. Both steering rack ends and both front mcpherson struts and tie rods at 87,000. New windshield at about 95,000. Mass airflow meter, drive belts and a/c belt at 102,000. New alternator at 103,000. New oil pump and engine seals (to repair oil leak) at 115,000. Front brakes & rotors last done at 116,000, rears last done at 98,000." All of these were dealer serviced.

It also had a new trans installed in Oct. 2000. When he talked about the condition of the car he said, "PA State Safety Inspection is current, and the car's condition is very good overall: exterior has a small number of minor marks, commensurate with a car of this age. Nothing really bad, just if you look very closely you can spot them. A few teeny chips in the paint near the lip of the hood, highway stones probably. Interior looks almost new, with a couple small areas on each front seat leather showing its age, maybe from rubbing, or long term sun exposure. The only part known not to function is the driver-side switch for the passenger-side front window. Goes down, but to go up, needs to use passenger-side switch. "

Here are the pictures of the car; let me know what you guys think and how much you would offer him. Thanks for reading all of this.

http://mysite.verizon.net/pcss/svxpics/index.htm
Old 04-08-2003, 08:01 AM
TapperManor

What is he asking?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:05 AM
StaceyVX

I'm going to look at it today while he's not there and Thursday I'm going back to make an offer. We both know what the value on Blue book is (depending on what type of condition he selected, I found it to be $4,110). If I want it, we have to work out a deal...
Old 04-08-2003, 08:08 AM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
It's up to you

I'll tell you about my car and let you decide what that one is worth:
I bought my car (Claret 92 LS-L) in June with about 78k on the clock for $5k. Since then I have replaced a radiator fan ($200), both front axle halves (boots broke, dirt got in there $600), and the transmission rebuilt just about a month ago ($2,300). It needs struts but the cheapest quote I have gotten is $1,400.

Since this car has had the boots, struts, and transmission done you can (hopefully) forget about them. The exhaust rattle is no big deal (are you sure its from the pipe and not the primary muffler or heat sheild?) but the electrical problem could be anywhere from $0-$300 to fix. Blue book should put the car at about $3k.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 04-08-2003, 08:18 AM
StaceyVX

I want to take it to a mechanic or better yet the Subaru dealer and have them look at it and see if everything checks out. The only thing that conflicts it is the guy's time schedule, unless he's willing to let me take the car without paying (doubtful) or if there's a trustyworthy mechanic open on Saturdays (mine isn't). So about those things that I mentioned were replaced...How long am I good for before those need replacing again?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:25 AM
No longer blue member

as long as everything was done right

Timing belt, tranny, and struts should be good for 100k.
CV boots should be good for atleast 80k.
Belts are about 60k.
Brakes and rotors depend how much and how you use your brakes. I think rotors are usually good for 3-4 brake pad changes.
Windsheild should last forever unless you hit a rock.
Not sure about the other stuff.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 04-08-2003, 08:28 AM
SVXdriver_007

Stacey this definately looks like a better car to go with. the guy appears to be pretty forward and has good records...those are things that should make you feel more comfortable. Id say 3-to 3.5k would be fair pending the problems are only what he says. I'd make him an offer with cash...sounds odd but if you show someone 3k in cash in this world of plastic, checks, and electronic funds it will have some impact (unless the guy works at a bank). For a good price comaprison look at the one PITKID is selling. That thing is in damn fine shape he's asking 5k, if the guy wants more than 3500 save, scrounge, beg, borrow....and buy his.

did he say how many miles on the tranny?
Old 04-08-2003, 08:42 AM
StaceyVX

He didn't say actually...Damn it. And I thought I had all the bases covered. I'll e-mail him about it. Thanks. And yea, PittKid's car is nice...He tried selling it to me already.

Last edited by StaceyVX; 04-08-2003 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:54 AM
No longer blue member

my guess

since the timing belt was done in 99 at 93 k, and the trans in 00. The trans should have been at about 100-110k.

01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 04-08-2003, 08:56 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
The car seems fine, but the part of his email concerning the check engine light makes me a little nervous. It suggests to me that the guy isn't that concerned with maintaining the car properly. The condition of the seats and the headlights suggests the same thing to me.

Still, the car may prove to be solid and a good deal. I just thought I'd relay my concern.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-08-2003, 09:09 AM
StaceyVX

The intermittant check engine light makes me nervous too, but I don't see why he would lie about it. Still I am a little hesitant, but that is why I wanted to get it looked at...As for the seats, I figured it's hard to keep them looking amazing after being that old, but I guess not...The headlights can be cleaned...I don't know if that hasn't been done because he doesn't use it as a daily driver anymore...What do you suggest, Mr. Pockets?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:20 AM

Registered SVX
Oh, I don't think the guy's lying about the car. I was just a little concerned about his attitude - 'it might be expensive, so I'll just live with it.' It may turn out to be a loose connector, for all anybody knows, but he didn't have anybody look into it. That suggests, to me, his attitude towards the car.

I've been in the same position myself, don't get me wrong. I just think that, when buying an SVX, it's best to find one that's as well-maintained and well-loved as possible.

But I haven't seen the car. Maybe it's great.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-08-2003, 09:29 AM
StaceyVX

Oh, I totally understand. I'm not saying you said he lied or anything. I am just confused on what to do. I see what you're saying, and you could be right...So what if I were to take it to someone to have it looked at? Would it take hours like he said?
Old 04-08-2003, 09:33 AM

Registered SVX
I'm making you paranoid, and I don't intend to. Have the car checked out before you buy it. They'll look for much bigger things than the CE light is likely to be caused by. That'll be much more reassuring than any of my stupid guesses about a guy I've never met.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 04-08-2003, 09:42 AM
StaceyVX

Oh no, it's totally fine. You were expressing a concern and it was one of mine, too. Thank you.

Quick off the subject question...How is the stock sound system/cd player in the car? I was just reading some site about someone's opinion on them...