Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-21-2002, 10:03 AM
$VX

oh trust me man, I love looking after my rocks.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:48 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Good fill osophy Beav..

Quote:
Originally posted by Beav
A philosophy professor stood before his class and had some items in front of him. When the class began, wordlessly he picked up a very large and empty mayonnaise jar and proceeded to fill it with rocks, rocks about 2" in diameter. He then asked the students if the jar was full. They agreed that it was.

So the professor then picked up a box of pebbles and poured them into the jar. He shook the jar lightly. The pebbles, of course, rolled into the open areas between the rocks. He then asked the students again if the jar was full. They agreed it was.

The professor picked up a box of sand and poured it into the jar. Of course, the sand filled up everything else.

He then asked once more if the jar was full. The students responded with a unanimous -- yes.

The professor then produced two cans of beer from under the table and proceeded to pour their entire contents into the jar --effectively filling the empty space between the sand.

The students laughed.

"Now," said the professor, as the laughter subsided, "I want you to recognize that this jar represents your life. The rocks are the important things - your faith, your family, your partner, your health, and your children--things that if everything else was lost and only they remained, your life would still be full. The pebbles are the other things that matter like your job, your house, your car. The sand is everything else. The small stuff."

"If you put the sand into the jar first," he continued "there is no room for the pebbles or the rocks. The same goes for your life. If you spend all your time and energy on the small stuff, you will never have room for the things that are important to you. Pay attention to the things that are critical to your happiness. Play with your children. Go to church. Take time to get medical checkups. Take your partner out dancing. There will always be time to go to work, clean the house, give a dinner party and fix the disposal. "Take care of the rocks first -- the things that really matter. Set your priorities. The rest is just sand."

One of the students raised her hand and inquired what the beer represented.

The professor smiled. "I'm glad you asked. It just goes to show you that no matter how full your life may seem, there's always room for a couple of beers."
Thanks for sharing it. Homer Simpson would be proud of us!

The meaning of life, chased down by a couple of beers.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 12-21-2002, 05:10 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I suppose i should have led off with a preamble stating that there would be references to kids, religion, alcohol, medical check-ups, education and mayonnaise, just so that whoever might be offended would have the chance to decide whether or not to read further. heheheh... Jaheesus, if we all had to do that we'd never get to the subject matter.

How many people here think that when such a warning is displayed, that people with genuine dislikes for whatever is about to be portrayed, will click away from the subject matter without peeking at it? Maybe the selections should read "Click to Enter", "Click to Leave" and "Click to Enter and Later Whine to Everyone on the Planet about the Content You've Witnessed."

Anyway, I'm glad it was enjoyed by some, that was my intention.
Old 12-21-2002, 07:49 PM
$VX

Don't get me wrong man, I wasn't offended by any means, I very much liked it. What I don't understand is how religon is considered a 'big rock'. :| I mean... man, I could think of things more important than it.

But yeah, it was cool. I'll remember it too.

I started reading a book on Shaivism.... pretty interesting.

- Ca$h
Old 12-21-2002, 08:06 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
<just so that whoever might be offended would have the chance to decide whether or not to read further>

That's where we are headed Beav, unfortunately. Everything that might REMOTELY offend someone is edited out of everything from the evening news to the latest history books. George Orwell would not have been surprised.

By the way, if I read the Bill of Rights correctly....we are promised freedom OF religion.....not freedom FROM it.

Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"

Last edited by SVXphile; 12-21-2002 at 08:36 PM.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:17 PM
Is it Summer yet?

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXphile
<just so that whoever might be offended would have the chance to decide whether or not to read further>

That's where we are headed Beav, unfortunately. Everything that might REMOTELY offend someone is edited out of everything from the evening news to the latest history books. George Orwell would not have been surprised.

By the way, if I read the Bill or Rights correctly....we are promised freedom OF religion.....not freedom FROM it.

Don
Don, I've been gone for a while and I never noticed before, but what on earth came upon you to buy a F*** F****, even if it is an SVT
06 Chevy Malibu 71K
13 Outback 0K
Old 12-21-2002, 08:21 PM
$VX

Quote:
snip

By the way, if I read the Bill or Rights correctly....we are promised freedom OF religion.....not freedom FROM it.

Don

I wasn't offended, I just disagree. Huge difference.

- Ca$h
Old 12-21-2002, 08:31 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:

Don

I would have to agree with this...nice thing about WV: lots of nice christian people. Yeah we have some hicks over here but at least they are nice, respectable people
Old 12-21-2002, 08:34 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Don,

In the rest of the USof A (even in NYC) we have the Bill OF Rights.

Is the Bill OR Rights West Virginian version ?
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!
Old 12-21-2002, 08:35 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Food for thought....

<I wish religon was illegal.. >

<I started reading a book on Shaivism.... pretty interesting>

Careful......you might be breaking the law someday!

Don

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 12-21-2002, 08:37 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Don,

In the rest of the USof A (even in NYC) we have the Bill OF Rights.

Is the Bill OR Rights West Virginian version ?

HAHAHA I just noticed that. I am in WV and can say we do have the Bill OF Rights here...
Old 12-21-2002, 08:38 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Thumbs up

OK Larry....you got me.

One typo at this time of night 'aint too bad for me.

I made the correction Professor.... Don

Old 12-21-2002, 08:46 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Don, I've been gone for a while and I never noticed before, but what on earth....

It's a long story Colin.....I try to keep the "Focus" story over on the Snowshoe/Brakeshoe thread so as not to stir up any bad feelings concerning "other" cars....

In brief, I did my homework....read the reviews....took a drive....got a good deal....and made the move. I have to admit, looking down at that blue oval on the wheel takes some "getting used to", but I tend to forget about it when driving these twisty mountain roads.....it's a heck of a car.

If you like, we could chat in the chat room or over on those other threads. Why haven't you posted for so long? Don

Old 12-21-2002, 11:52 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
I like it except for the whole 'going to church' comment. WTF.

I know tons of people who 'go to church' and have crappy lives, and I know a lot of people who are very successful (in relationships and financially) who DON"T go to church.

I wish religon was illegal..

- Ca$h
Just because somebody goes to church, does that mean that they are to automatically have a great life? Perhaps statistically one who does attend church is more likely to live a fulfilled, joyous life, but by no means does that mean that they will. Maybe also people who don't go to church are happy to have their family or money or whatever, and to them that's just fine and that's what they cherish. Not that family/money/SVXs are wrong, but it's a matter of Who or what you trust. Stuff might make you happy, but what I've found is that only God can bring true joy, and to bring you abundant life, so long as you're in His Will; it's what He wants to do. It enables me to honestly say that I wouldn't mind living in a cardboard box for the rest of my life, so long as I can enjoy the presence of God.

But even aside from all that, I'm pretty sure that even most atheists would be afraid of what might happen if there was no "religion"; we might find our world a pretty bad place with many more people committing crimes and so forth, those who would otherwise be trying to lead "moral lives" and such. The "Jesus Freak" down the street might otherwise have already stolen your SVX by now
Old 12-22-2002, 07:46 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
The original intent of this thread was to post a light, fun and enjoyable story about how to keep our lives in perspective. Hopefully this will end what appears to be a drift away from the original intent, as it's beginning to appear to have the makings of a stick drawing a line in the sand between a few people. That is, without a doubt, not the reason I posted it.