How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-27-2002, 11:16 PM
smerrithew

Lightbulb Greetings from Ontario!

I've been lurking for about a year, but I will soon be picking up my first svx from my new friend "nevermind", so I thought I'd join the club and introduce myself.
I have wanted an svx for quite a while, but they are so expensive up here in Canada! Even with the horrendous exchange rate, it is far better to get one in the great U.S. of A.

I live in Newmarket, which is about 35 minutes north of Toronto.
I've only ever sighted 3 svx around here, 2 green and one gorgeous red (zipping up the 404) and ever since then I knew this was the ride for me.
So, once I figure out the importing process, I will be adding a 92 pearly white and black to the mix.

By the way, has anybody else imported a car into Canada?
There seems to be a catch-22 in the licensing/insuring requirements; I can't get one without the other!
Can someone enlighten me?

Scott

New SVX Owner!
I'm so excited I'm about to bust!!
Old 11-28-2002, 12:29 AM
smerrithew

Read a post by vkykam; I agree, it is easy to import because the RIV has already approved the SVX with no modifications required.
However, my insurance company says they won't insure it until it is registered, and I can't get it registered until I drive it from Cleveland to Customs where they will give me a 45 day permit.
I haven't yet asked at other insurance companies, but it seems I have to drive it uninsured, which of course, could land me in a heap of trouble.

Caught-22
Old 11-28-2002, 11:21 AM
Yeah, I'm still around

Usually these get a bigger response

but with the holiday over here and all....

Welcome to the Network and to SVX ownership. You hopefully will have fun with both!

Todd
Old 11-28-2002, 12:02 PM
smerrithew

Thumbs up

Thanks!

An update on the import issue: I called my insurance company again and spoke to a different agent; this time no problem! So now I'm insured. I just have to get temporary permits to drive through OH, PA and NY to the border.

I'll let you know how that goes next week.
Old 11-29-2002, 02:19 PM

Hi! and welcome to the club. I also live in Newmarket although currently SVXless. I have actually seen quite a few SVX's in the Newmarket area in the last year. Just saw a Pearl and Black one yesterday in my neighborhood. As far as any questions you may have regarding importing, try contacting David Walter, that is his member name on this board. He lives in the Newmarket area and has imported 2 SVXes from the US in the last year. You will probably get a quicker response from him via email. Once you get your SVX we will have to try and get together. I had one for about 2 yrs but unfortunately had to sell it a few years ago.

Keith
Old 11-29-2002, 02:41 PM
I_Alcyone_I

Quote:
Originally posted by smerrithew
Read a post by vkykam; I agree, it is easy to import because the RIV has already approved the SVX with no modifications required.
However, my insurance company says they won't insure it until it is registered, and I can't get it registered until I drive it from Cleveland to Customs where they will give me a 45 day permit.
I haven't yet asked at other insurance companies, but it seems I have to drive it uninsured, which of course, could land me in a heap of trouble.

Caught-22
Usually, here in washington anyway, the police don't have a problem with you not having insurance on a new purchase as long as you get it within 24hours. I'm not sure how it is in other parts of the country, maybe someone from where your picking it up could talk to their local police department, or an officer.
Old 12-03-2002, 07:13 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Scott,

Me life's been chaotic, don't get to check in as much as I used to. If this info is a little late, I apologize.

RIV: You will need modifications. Daytime running lights, and child seat anchor. The anchor you will need in the car, but does not need to be installed. Daytime running lights can be rigged by 1 wire. If you need more info on the mod, PM me and I can send you pics of where the mod was made on my car.

Insurance: You WILL need a letter from your insurance company. Make sure you have the insurance start date, the VIN, and the policy number on your insurance company's letterhead.

Ownership/Border Crossing: Ownership will need to arrive at US side of border crossing 72 hours ahead of the car crossing. This is to allow them to check the car to make sure it's not stolen.

Points of Crossing: There are RIV designated crossings, and there are normal crossings. The RIV designated crossings will cost you a bit less money. Also make sure you have money to cover the costs, as you'll have to factor in RIV fee ($215 I think), GST, and 6.1% duty.

There's a few things that needs to be done once you have the car in Ontario, but RIV should inform you of it.

I'm in the Pearlie running around town. On the 404 quite often, but not up by Newmarket. Car will be off the road for a week starting tomorrow for repairs (wheel bearing, PS pump rebuild, LF axle). C'est la vie.

If you need more info, PM me or e-mail me.

VK
Old 12-19-2002, 01:08 AM
smerrithew

Thanks everybody.
Well The deed is done and I now haunt the 404 between Newmarket and Scarborough!

Took the bus to Cleveland on Dec 5, met Nevermind65, chatted for a while, and then drove to US Customs at Lewiston Bridge.
All paperwork was in order and I was through in about 10 minutes.
At Canada Customs, again all paperwork was in order but there was more to do, so 45 minutes and $700 later I was driving home.
Costs so far (in CDN$):
$4600 for the car
$60 bus fare
$700 in taxes, duty and custom fees,
$1100 annually for insurance

Received my Form 2 from RIV on Dec 17.
I need to have Daytime Running Lights to pass inspection.

Apparently VK has the scoop on the right way to do this. Just add a wire in the right place and it's done.

If we keep our fingers crossed maybe he will tell us all!

Anyway, I'm happy with the whole experience.
I would definitely recommend importing a car from the US.
Of course you need to do your homework and research the car, but even with the exhorbitant exchange rate it was less expensive than an equivalent car in Canada.

Scott