SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2002, 04:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
OT - Thank you, Marcus Gronholm

A few of you may have caught the Rally of Great Britain this weekend on Speed Network. For the rest of you, I'm going to recap, briefly, just how exciting it was.

I missed Day One, but it seems that Marcus Gronholm (Peugeot) was running away from everybody, as he has been doing all season. On day two, the 206's 'fancy hydraulics' were letting him down and he was forced to use the floor shifter. This distracted him slightly and he rolled the 206 a few times, retiring from the rally. Marcus was quick to accept responsibility, saying that the shifter problem distracted him but, 'I could also have slowed down.'

This left Petter Solberg (Subaru) in the lead. Sweet!!! The day actually finished with Solberg 1.6 seconds behind Markko Martin (Ford) - that's friggin' close.

The first stage of the day was covered in a thick blanket of fog, so everybody was understandably cautious. Everybody except Petter. Driving his car like it had said bad things about his mother, he pulled out a 20 second advantage in that one stage that Martin never clawed back from. That first stage, seeing Solberg thrash the Impreza through the forest, in the fog, was awe-inspiring. What a drive. At the end of the stage, when reporters were trying to question him, Petter had to stretch his jaw - apparently he was gritting his teeth pretty severely.

In his attempt to catch up to Solberg, Martin pulled out an almost equally-astounding drive in the second stage. The second the Focus flew through the finish, Martin's codriver looked at him and yelled, 'you broke my teeth!' He wasn't kidding.

What a finish to the season - Petter Solberg's first win and second in the driver's championship. Luckily the off-season isn't as long as F1's and we only have to wait about two months until the 2003 WRC.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

I can't understand why anyone would watch a NASCAR event after watching these wild men race little cars through the woods & NOT on the way to grandmother's house.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 11-19-2002, 12:01 AM
Hater

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert
I can't understand why anyone would watch a NASCAR event after watching these wild men race little cars through the woods & NOT on the way to grandmother's house.

Ron.
i don't understand the NASCAR popularity either. a L O N G, boring left turn

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 11-19-2002, 06:48 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Quote:
Originally posted by Landshark

i don't understand the NASCAR popularity either. a L O N G, boring left turn
It's also known as toilet bowl racing.
Old 11-19-2002, 07:56 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I agree nascar is not a good race. Best in my view are: Rally, touring, F1, and a bit of drag racing.
I think it was a great rally in Britian and Australia this year, missed most of the year though...
Old 11-19-2002, 08:08 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Rally of Great Brit

He was just so estatic when he won! It was great. I have nothing against NASCRAP. It gives the rednecks something constructive to do on the weekends. I just miss Speedvision. The Speed channel is nothing more than NASCRAP TV. The regular shows no longer seem to be on a regular schedule and if you want to watch anything but NASCRAP you have to stay up til all hours of the night. I mean really how many NASCAR fans are watching a repeat of the race at 11am, 2pm and 5pm on Wed. They should all be waiting l in the welfare line getting their checks, spending 5 hours trying to figure out how to sign the check and make it to happy hour to drink their check.
Old 11-19-2002, 10:57 AM

I have Co-drivin and I can vouch that rally IS as exciting as it looks. I have also completed 3 seasons worth of stock car racing on the 1/4 mile oval. Stock cars are more fun than they look.

but I think that everyone would agree that 1/4 mile is more fun for everyone (drivers/ spectators)than the superspeedway.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:02 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by AutoTchr
but I think that everyone would agree that 1/4 mile is more fun for everyone (drivers/ spectators)than the superspeedway.
Feh...

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 11-19-2002, 11:32 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Re: Rally of Great Brit

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
He was just so estatic when he won! It was great. I have nothing against NASCRAP. It gives the rednecks something constructive to do on the weekends. I just miss Speedvision. The Speed channel is nothing more than NASCRAP TV. The regular shows no longer seem to be on a regular schedule and if you want to watch anything but NASCRAP you have to stay up til all hours of the night. I mean really how many NASCAR fans are watching a repeat of the race at 11am, 2pm and 5pm on Wed. They should all be waiting l in the welfare line getting their checks, spending 5 hours trying to figure out how to sign the check and make it to happy hour to drink their check.
Tell us how you really feel about rednecks and NASCAR fans

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 11-19-2002, 11:40 AM
Got Dirt?

Yeah, I like rally the best.

<--
1992 SVX LS-L (#645 - 04/91) 164K miles - sold.
Old 11-19-2002, 11:52 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Rally of Great Brit

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I was watching a "classic" RAC rally from '79 a few weeks ago. Great run! Ford took 1, 2 and 4 (all Fiestas, if I'm not mistaken), with a Datsun 160 J splitting the Fords in 3rd. My favorite came in 5th: The Lancia Stratos. The US guys were driving TR-7's, they didn't place, and, amazingly, not a Subaru in sight. And absolutely none of them running with Mop . . . never mind.

As for watching a repeat of a race at 11 am, 2am, and 5pm, that's for those "poor rednecks" that work swingshift. Although I'm not a NASCAR fan, I was spawned from a long line of "rednecks," most of who would rather do a hard days work digging ditches than to go on the dole. Unlike much of today's society who would consider nothing less than a corporate vice presidency as an entry level position and know nothing of what the term "paying one's dues" means.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-19-2002, 12:07 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I agree with ya Randy. However Nascar is about as exciting, believable and honest as the WWF (which will probably have it's own 24 hour, 'premium' channel all too soon.)
Old 11-19-2002, 02:03 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Nascar

Didnt mean to offend any rednecks or nascar fans . Just passing along my warped sense of individuality. You must forgive the hippie child! I think it was the fact that I lived 10 minutes from Charlotte Motor Speedway that turned me off on the circle driving. As for the welfare line comment. Nothing meant by it either aside from the desire to have a little more diverse programing for the Speed Channel. Not that Speedvision was that much better sometimes but I kinda miss the Riding mower races. Those things rock!!! 60 mph on a lawnmower. WOO HOO. Again sorry if I stepped on anyone's tires it was nothing personal .
Old 11-19-2002, 02:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Sorry, benebob. I'm slightly oversensitive. I live in and was Raised in Kentucky. I work in Indiana, where they think that all Kentuckians are toothless, redneck rubes. Case in point: we were showing the final product to a client (from Indiana). It was full of employee interviews. We commented that we had trouble getting a suitable "sound bite" from one of the employees. The client commented, "It's a wonder you can understand any of them, most of them are from Kentucky." Obviously, she was not aware of the fact that I was from the Bluegrass State. Of course, in the back of my mind, I was thinking, "Too damned bad you had to come to Kentucky to find people with the wooworking skills to hand carve your 60,000.00 entertainment centers and your 30,000.00 tables." So, yes, I apologize for being oversensitive.

As far as "hippies" go, I was born a redneck, became a hippy by choice, evolved into a yuppy and have, in my latter years, settled on just being a person. No harm. No foul.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-19-2002, 02:28 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
I was born a redneck, became a hippy by choice, evolved into a yuppy and have, in my latter years, settled on just being a person.
Wow, that's deep. You should add that to your signature

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker