IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-31-2002, 11:09 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
doing some defending on the svx

http://www.greenliquid.com:9000/dsm_...&threadid=1941

this is my old dsm bb ,, wich lives in orlando florida here i know 80% of the guys verry well,, and i just took the last straw LOL ..

so im puting my foot down,,

its all in good tastes though so no one get ofended,

i always stuck up fro the dsm cars here on the svx board now time to turn the tables on them, and stick up for the svx on dsm bb
Old 10-31-2002, 12:11 PM
Alcyone SVX LSL

I can't believe what that guys said after your post, and he has a common car that has little style compared to a SVX. he was proud to have kids say it is a cool car, but most of them kids would also think that a 2' high alloy wing on the back of a neon or focus with the wheel covers taken off is a cool car, yeah thats what teens drive these days, has to have the loud $600 big stainless exhaust too.
Now i believe to have a car to be proud of it has to be rare and have style, the SVX is one of the top ones i believe. Any way not bashing the eclipse, but if its a mitsu i rather have a 3000GT.
-my 2 cents
Old 10-31-2002, 12:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
While I can appreciate it, Solar, I gotta say that it's really not worth the effort.

These guys sound like Ca$h with his Neons. With people like that, the argument is no longer about facts. These guys love their Eclipses and to them, everything else is second-rate. There's no convincing them otherwise and there's no respect to be had. (In Ca$h's defense, he bought an SVX, and that says a lot about his taste beyond Neons )

That's fine. I'm glad these guys all love their cars. But how many of them will own those cars in another five years? How about another two? As soon as it's more convenient to move on, they will.

The DSM guys love their cars for their capabilities. Capabilities can be matched and then surpassed, at which point they all move on to whatever surpasses their car.

For the most part, we love our SVXs because of the car's inherent character. The story surrounding the SVX's conception, the attention to detail, the hundreds of unique qualities - these things aren't tangible like horsepower and skidpad numbers. I would argue that they transcend those qualities.

The SVX is something you 'get,' or something you don't. The fact that the car failed commercially tells me that most people don't 'get' it. Is that Subaru's fault, or just a reflection of the average car buyer? I don't really know. I think it's sorta both.

The end result is that this car is misunderstood, and it always will be. I don't want to keep my SVX forever because I have one hundred and one options for bolt-on air intake kits. I want to keep it forever because I've met a couple of the guys who designed it, and I know what they invested, emotionally, in the design of this car.

So the kids like their Civics and Neons and DSMs. Fine. They'll probably always have a sweet spot for those cars because they were the first cars that they bonded with. But as soon as something better comes along, they'll latch onto that trend. Meanwhile, I'll keep my SVX and my wife and I will enjoy comfortable fall cruises in style for as long as we possibly can.

I keep telling myself I'm going to stop these emotionally-charged discords on why the SVX is so special.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-31-2002, 12:35 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I have one last thing to say. I don't necessarily consider DSM, Civic or even Neon fanatics 'car people.' That's not an insult. Allow me to explain.

What are all these kids really into? Making a car that's not really supposed to be fast into something that is. Or making some kind of bolt-on statement.

The type of car they're into isn't really important. Sure, they make a big deal out of it, but that's only because it's the car that they have.

It's almost a tribal thing. You see the same in kids with video game consoles. Their friends have an XBox, so they get one. Or that's the one their parents decide on getting them. Suddenly, to them, the XBox is the best thing ever made, and never mind that the PS2 has sold 40 million units - it's now a piece of garbage in their eyes.

Arguing with kids like that is ridiculous. They're not 'car people,' and you can't pry their eyes (or their minds) open.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-31-2002, 12:47 PM

Registered SVX
mr pockets,,

Quote:
The end result is that this car is misunderstood, and it always will be.
good pointe there, a lot of people didnt know the history behind the svx..

i have always loved the svx,, its something i always dreamed of owning and now i do .. but im come from a back ground of dsms owning a 97 eclipse gs and a 99 gst turbo

now a svx,, is alot more car thena dsm i agree, and we all have our own tastes in cars,, each to his own..

the dsm bb, there i go the meets every friday night and have been for 4 years now i am one of the origianl members,, a dsm wich is a eagle talon//plymoth laser//mitsu eclipse, AWD turbo with a 4g63 power plant, will be forever the best bang for the dollar for performance,,import 4 cylinder but

every kid on the block has one,, its a trendy car,, even though they still dont make them like they use to..hence 200 and up eclispe v6s FWD only..

i will never ever see a dsm look as good as a svx will in 10 years, just look at a 92 talon//eclipse, to a 92 svx can u picture them next to each other,, no way ,,

i even had people ask me if it was exotic, like a lamborgini,,

now i own the svx i am verry happy ,, the power AWD and looks is perfect for me,

liek i always say the svx is like a time piece it only gets better with age,, or is that chapiagne
Old 10-31-2002, 12:57 PM
RRX

I have had to defend the SVX on other sites as well. Sometimes it gets out of hand but I don't care. Sometimes the idiots you argue with are so brainwashed that its a waste of time
Old 10-31-2002, 01:05 PM

Registered SVX
yea i know rrx,, its cool we all have our tastes,, right,,
Old 10-31-2002, 01:07 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
The SVX does not *need* defending. The SVX is its *own* defense. It's like the children's fable of describing an elephant to the blind man. If you haven't seen, experienced or "felt" the SVX, it is impossible to explain it.

Meanwhile, Nick has more than adequately hit every nail on the head. I believe his two posts should be combined and posted in the SVX lover's hall of fame. Spot on! Don't ever stop your emotionally charged discords, Nick. In fact, to me, they're not discords at all, they are harmony in its purist form.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-31-2002, 01:11 PM

Registered SVX
LOL u guys are getting me choked up here,, im going to cry

"goes out to the svx and gives her a hug""

ohh damm why is every one looking at me funny at work LOL
Old 10-31-2002, 01:18 PM
Green1995SVX

I really wish i could see what was said, but the link is broken. Can anyone fill me in?

Mike
Old 10-31-2002, 01:32 PM

Registered SVX
mike it worked for me,
Old 10-31-2002, 01:38 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
. . . worked for me.

<sew did hucked own fonix>
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
$VX

Whats that solar?!?! A group of car people being complete ignorant morons about a car that they don't know about!? I don't believe you.

Anyway, G'luck with em.

- Ca$h
Green1995SVX

It just times out for me in ie and netscape.

Mike
Old 10-31-2002, 01:41 PM
Boone

Hmm.. the 2.2.6 version of vBulletin they are using seems to have a lot more features. Any reason to upgrade here?