How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-28-2002, 06:40 PM
IROCZED

Possibly buying a 92 SVX

While searching for a new car I stumbled across a 92 SVX for sale. They want $4500 Cdn for it. I might go take a look at it tomorrow, and I was wondering if you guys could help me out. What should I be looking for with this type of car. Is there trouble with the engines, brakes, tranmissions. Does it rust anywhere in particular. I don't know too much about these cars, but I do know that the AWD will help in the winter. Also I know it is a fairly sporty car but would it be a practical car for a small family, we need to be able to fit at least 1 baby seat in it for now. Also I hate weak cars, this one seems to have some pep to it. How do you guys find it performance wise, is it fairly quick and how does it do in the 1/4 mile. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Another question, how is the insurance on these cars??

Thanks

I will be posting this in the General and the Technical section I hope that is ok.
Old 10-28-2002, 07:02 PM
Green1995SVX

Hello and welcome. I will try to answer all of your questions.

Is there trouble with the engines, brakes, tranmissions.

The good news here is that the engines are pretty much indestructible. I have never heard of a svx engine going bad even at over 200,000 miles (except because of driver or mechanic error or poor maintnence practices.) The bad news: The front rotors are very prone to warpage (can be corrected by installing aftermarket rotors) and the transmissions have a reputation for high heat issues. Many members of the club have been through more than 5 transmissions. I am on my 4th.

Does it rust anywhere in particular.

An SVX that has not had any body damage or paint work in the past simply will not rust. The svx has a zinc coating on the steel (under the paint) this prevents rust. If you come across a SVX with rust on it, I would recommend you avoid it. It would indicate that the zinc coating had been penetrated at sometime in the cars life.

You can easily put a baby seat in the back. I believe there are actually child seat anchors in the rear deck.

How do you guys find it performance wise, is it fairly quick and how does it do in the 1/4 mile.

The car is not a hot performer in the 1/4 mile. I believe the stock times are mid 15's. The car shines as a high speed cruiser. It is very stable at high speeds and has what seems to be a limitless top end. The SVX is 230hp, 228tq.

I hope that helped. I took care of deleting your other post. There is no need to cross post here. We are a small club.

Mike
Old 10-28-2002, 10:59 PM

Yes a baby seat does fit in the rear seats. It is not any more difficult than any other 2 door to put in take out the child from the baby seat. As Mike mentioned the known problems are transmission, rotors and wheel bearings. Check these out carefully and try to get a maintenance history on the car. Normally the better the maintenance the less problems for you.

Where in Canada do you live??

Keith
Old 10-29-2002, 12:24 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by northernkanuck
Where in Canada do you live??
I was going to ask the same question!

$4500 is relatively cheap!!

I'm thinking you are looking at this one:

link to ad

Last edited by Earthworm; 10-29-2002 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-29-2002, 08:03 AM
Alcyone SVX LSL

-earthworm

that is a XT6 just to let you know
Old 10-29-2002, 12:04 PM
golddrum11

insurance

you know the insurance on these cars actually is not nearly as bad as it could be for a sporty car with relatively rare parts. I know becasue when I suggested this car to my parents they fell in love like i did but said that the insurance had to match or no deal to my suprise it was ok......you probably be suprised your self especially if your over 21 with a clean driving record.
Old 10-29-2002, 06:16 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Quote:
Originally posted by MT maniac
-earthworm

that is a XT6 just to let you know
*blush*
oops...hehe I just realised that now. This is the one I was referring to:

correct link
Old 10-29-2002, 09:28 PM
IROCZED

Yeah that's the one.

How can I tell what shape the tranny is in?

Thanks for all the replies..
Old 10-29-2002, 10:17 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by IROCZED
How can I tell what shape the tranny is in?
Drive it! The tranny should shift smooth and firm every time. The RPM's should not raise between shifts. Apparantly there may be a noticible hesitation between 2-3 or 3-4. Mine has had this for some time now but I think it could be fixed by either cleaning/replacing the TPS, adjusting the band brake or even TCU replacement.
Old 10-30-2002, 08:51 PM
DWayne2910

Also, to check tranny, pull dipstick and check fluid for
discoloration and burnt smell.
Dan
Old 10-30-2002, 09:03 PM

are the tranny's on a 94 improved over a 92?
Old 10-30-2002, 09:22 PM
Meow!

Quote:
Originally posted by lurker
are the tranny's on a 94 improved over a 92?
I believe most (all) of the major tranny issues were addressed by 94.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:35 PM

even on an automatic tranny? Sorry to keep bugging you guys, it's just that I really like the svx's and am serious about looking into getting one. I know an automatic ls is nothing compared to what you guys have but it will do just fine for me for now.

Last edited by lurker; 10-30-2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:49 PM
gcookaustin

Quote:
even on an automatic tranny? Sorry to keep bugging you guys, it's just that I really like the svx's and am serious about looking into getting one. I know an automatic ls is nothing compared to what you guys have but it will do just fine for me for now.
The '94's did have some improvements over the '92's, but I think that they still did suffer from heat damage a little bit. If the car has more highway miles and wasn't raced around, then the transmission should hold up for a while.

Last edited by gcookaustin; 10-30-2002 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-30-2002, 09:49 PM
Meow!

Quote:
even on an automatic tranny?
They are all auto's from the factory. Statistics are showing that the 94+ SVX trannies have less problems.