How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Closed Thread

Old 10-28-2002, 02:03 PM
$VX

Well, the neon was never solid rear axle.

- Ca$h
Old 10-28-2002, 08:29 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
The neon also has only been around for 7 years. Cheap cars generally retain certain hardware from their last major redesign, and in the neon's case, the car has never been totally overhauled. Thus it has the same rear suspension it did when it was created. Luckily for the neon, that was 1995 when independent suspensions were more commonplace. On the other hand, the Ford Mustang retains much of it's hardware from it's last overhaul...in 1979! And of course the ever-mocked GM steering column that has retained the same form in the F-body since 1967!

Im not even going to comment on Ca$h and his ramblings, there's no point. This is a forum and we should expect varied subject matter, and varied members. There are alot of very mature and respectful members here, but we also have to allow for the younger ones who do not yet know the value of respect. I was like that once too.

Someone on here said that an SVX was not as fast as a Neon? HA!! excluding this special edition version that was the subject of this thread, an SVX would EAT a Neon in every respect. A neon is no match for my GTP even, and the SVX is at least marginally faster than a GTP. Please don't use FAST and Neon, Cavalier, or Focus in the same sentence. Please, we must have grown up enough to realize how stupid that is? Soon enough im going to see something about a Neon being faster than a corvette, ferrari, indy car, airplane...etc. GEEZ.
Old 10-29-2002, 07:42 AM
$VX

Shadow, once again your own ignorance shows through. A neon is about as fast as an SVX in the quarter mile, and with a few bolt ons it will beat it. Why? 2400 lbs. 150hp. Power to weight ratio is almost EXACTLY the same as an SVX. However, on the highway, the SVX will assrape it.

- Ca$h
Old 10-29-2002, 05:14 PM

Ca$h, you are the LAST person on this board who can talk about Ignorance. You have shown with just about every one of your posts that you care nothing about real world knowledge and experience. You are speaking to guys who were working on cars when you were playing with Hot Wheels, and you treat them like amateurs. You are the only one who has failed to realize your OWN ignorance. If you REALLY knew what you were talking about, and i mean not just bull****ting your way through with knowledge you learned from magazines and internet sites, you would have never said as much as you did about your precious neon.

Time to go to school:

Physics class - you talk about your power to weight ratio...good...sounds great, and you have a point...however, you are forgetting an important detail. TRACTION. The SVX is all-wheel-drive. Which means, when you floor this bad boy, 230hp is slammed to the ground through 4 rather wide tires being held down by 3600lbs. The neon, especially with bolt ons, is struggling to get it's measly goat-power to the ground through skinny-as-a-supermodel tires on 13" wheels. To top that off, the neon has much less power to hold those TWO wheels down. This means the SVX already has a half car-length lead before the Neon even gets it's little ass moving. Those of you who have tried to challenge the SVX, or have been challenged in an SVX, know that letting the SVX get ahead early is guaranteeing a very embarassing contest. To top that off, the SVX's gearing is much more performance oriented than the Neon's econo setup. Power isn't everything, my friend.

Ignorance? Yeah. Now who looks stupid? Oh, we already knew that.

As the saying goes, pick on someone your own size and leave the big boys alone.
Old 10-30-2002, 04:10 PM
$VX

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Shadow248
bla bla bla I'm a moron

Yes Shadow, you are IGNORANT. You treat me with no respect purely because of my age catergory. But agree:

Time to go to school SHADOW

Physics class - you talk about your power to weight ratio...good...sounds great, and you have a point

yep. And this is the point where you tell me about traction. See, unlike most kids my age, I already know this. My first car was a 1968 Dodge Charger. But, I'll let you ramble on a while then school you completely, okay? Good.

..however, you are forgetting an important detail. TRACTION. The SVX is all-wheel-drive. Which means, when you floor this bad boy, 230hp is slammed to the ground through 4 rather wide tires being held down by 3600lbs. The neon, especially with bolt ons, is struggling to get it's measly goat-power to the ground through skinny-as-a-supermodel tires on 13" wheels.

ALRIGHT! Thank you shadow for giving me something to work on. Alright, you're talking about the SVX being the badboy. Riiight. I'll admit that its powerful and torquey, however its lacking one thing that will make it fast: a MANUAL TRANMISSION. When you floor an SVX, it does not take off as violently as a 5spd neon. PERIOD. True, the FWD is clawing at the ground, but with the majority of the cars weight over the front wheel it really isn't that much of a disadvantage. When racing something with a manual, you have the ability to rev it up to about 4-5 grand and dump the clutch, clawing your way ahead. AND, MR IGNORANT, neons have 14" tires from the factory, but anyone who has one who's modded will have 205/16s or something on it. Did we mention the neon only weighs 2400 lbs? So lets see, we have a HEAVY, all wheel drive POWERFUL car with a AUTOMATIC transmission (thats geared COMPLETLEY wrong for racing from a stop) VS a fairly light 2400 lb car that has FWD and 150hp. Same power to weight ratio, so we can practically ignore the HP here...so the final comparison is:
One has AWD, and a ****ty transmission, and lots of weight.
The other has FWD, great tranmission, and not a lot of weight.

Which one is faster? About the same. Roughly. Understand? I'd hope so.

To top that off, the neon has much less power to hold those TWO wheels down.

And over 1000lbs less weight.

This means the SVX already has a half car-length lead before the Neon even gets it's little ass moving.

Note: I'd put LIGHT WEIGHT little ass.

Those of you who have tried to challenge the SVX, or have been challenged in an SVX, know that letting the SVX get ahead early is guaranteeing a very embarassing contest.

Look, I've had both cars here. I love the SVX on the freeway...but for stop light racing, I honestly think the neon is MUCH MUCH better suited to it. The SVX has extremely wide gears, and they're really far apart. The SVX hauls ass up to about 30mph, but then it almost feels laggy.

[b]To top that off, the SVX's gearing is much more performance oriented than the Neon's econo setup.[b/]

Uh. What? Are you stupid!? The 4 spd automatic in the SVX is a performance oriented?! TRUE! HIGHWAY HIGH SPEED CRUISING AND HIGH SPEED PASSING performance but DEFINITELY not accelerating performance. You claim to know about cars. 2 camaros at the strip. Both have the same engine, same transmission, same driver. One has 4.10s. The other has 3.23s or something. Which ones going to win at the strip? The SVX has such low gearing that it sucks ASS at racing. I'll agree with you that the SVX transmission is HIGH SPEED performance oriented, but the neons transmission is geared towards 0-60 1/4mile performance.

Power isn't everything, my friend.

Agreed 100%. Neither is age. Thats why I'm schooling you in your ignorant rant here.

Ignorance? Yeah. Now who looks stupid?

You do. And you're about to look even dumber.

http://neon.atsweb.net/Dodge_Neon_RT.html

If ill informed ignorant people like you are the 'big boys', I'll be glad to avoid them.

- Ca$h
Old 10-30-2002, 09:30 PM

??????????????????????????????????????????????????

Im still trying to discern some point out of that. I could be crazy but didn't you just reaffirm everything i said?

I never said the SVX was the ultimate race car, i simply said that to compare it to a neon is to compare a Rolex to a Timex.

The only thing out of your post that did make sense was the comment about manual vs. automatic. But im not saying your right. This may be a stretch, but im betting your one of those "kids" (sorry to say that but mostly it is the 16-21 age group) who believes that manual trannys are always and infinetly better than autos for any kind of racing. No doubt on circle track or course racing, manual is by far the way to go. However, ask anyone who drags, i mean really races and not just for fun, which tranny rules at the strip, and they'll all tell you AUTO is the way to go. I don't care how good you think you are at driving a 5-speed, but NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE can outshift an automatic transmission. Even the SVX's relatively tempermental box can rip through shifts many times quicker than even the most seasoned racer. Go ahead, try your clutch popping method against an auto. That just amplifies the spinning tires effect that screws over the front drive cars to begin with. Not only are you dealing with only two tires to get power to the ground, now you are FORCING them to fight for traction, not even giving them a chance.

And then you say the neon is performance oriented? I shouldn't even bother with this because everyone in your age range seems to think that the Neon, Cavalier, Focus, Civic, Integra, Sentra...etc...were really designed to be race cars but because of the US's "strict" street rules, they had to be toned down?! WAKE UP!!! They are ECONOMY CARS...E-C-O-N-O-M-Y...that means they are meant to get from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. Not to do it fast, or in style (obviously), but SIMPLY TO SAVE YOU MONEY. Hence the significant difference in cost between an SVX and a NEON. Yet another reason to STOP COMPARING the two. You want a fast car, buy a fast car.

Again i apologize for having to use the age reference...but you show me a 30+ year old man (or woman) driving a Civic with Ground effects, lots of stickers and that exhaust that sounds like a turbocharged weedwhacker, and then i will consider changing my generalization.

What's with the link? It says 0-60 in 7.5 secs. That's 3 tenths behind the worst test that i've heard of for the SVX (i've heard 6.9 to 7.2). If you consider that close, i remind you that 3 tenths of a second means there is more than a full carlength between the competitors at 60mph. Hell, my mom's car does 0-60 in 7.3 secs (infiniti I30). So what are you trying to say here?

Interesting note: the Chevy Cavalier Z24 has done 0-60 in 7.5 secs since it was redesigned in 1995. Nobody's waving banners about that.

Still waiting for the part where i look dumb (or you look like you know something). Oh wait, i forgot, i'm arguing with someone who's always right...ok now i look dumb.

Last edited by Shadow248; 10-30-2002 at 09:37 PM.
Old 10-31-2002, 07:26 AM

Send a message via AIM to solarsvx
Registered SVX
Quote:
they had to be toned down?! WAKE UP!!! They are ECONOMY CARS...E-C-O-N-O-M-Y...that means they are meant to get from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. Not to do it fast, or in style (obviously), but SIMPLY TO SAVE YOU MONEY

thats that part i was saying..

im staying out of this, LOL .. cash or $sx been there done that ..

all i ask is can we atleast argue abought a real car here,

hmmm,, mr-2 turbo////300zx tt///rx7 tt///toyota supra///
3000gt vr-4///eclipse or talon AWD turbo..corvetes..cobras

any one seeing a trend here for performance cars

the neon srt wil be a verry hot car.. good bang for the buck i would have to agree we will see how it lays out..

i would agree the neon srt would or will be one hot car.. the other economy box neons is just a waste of car..

maybe dodge will design it to look better =>

ohh cash ,, talking abought weight to power ratio,, so does that mean a little mazda miata with 140 hp and 2,200 curb weight means its fast also ?
Old 10-31-2002, 01:58 PM
$VX

Originally posted by Shadow248

Im still trying to discern some point out of that. I could be crazy but didn't you just reaffirm everything i said?

Basically, except for the fact that the SVX has a performance transmission.

I never said the SVX was the ultimate race car, i simply said that to compare it to a neon is to compare a Rolex to a Timex.

And I'm saying that I'll agree with that statement, because they BOTH tell time with about the same effectiveness. One is nice, luxurious, and has a really great quality about it, the other is cheap, lightweight, and has a crappy build quality. HOWEVER, they both go about the same thing, just like the SVX and the neon are really not far apart in performance.

The only thing out of your post that did make sense was the comment about manual vs. automatic. But im not saying your right. This may be a stretch, but im betting your one of those "kids" (sorry to say that but mostly it is the 16-21 age group) who believes that manual trannys are always and infinetly better than autos for any kind of racing. No doubt on circle track or course racing, manual is by far the way to go.

Uh oh. First, you called me a kid. Secondly, this kid is about to make you look like a fool.

However, ask anyone who drags, i mean really races and not just for fun, which tranny rules at the strip, and they'll all tell you AUTO is the way to go.

And WHY oh WHY do they choose automatics? HRMMM>?!?!? It isn't because they're HIGHER PERFORMANCE, its because they're CONSISTENT, and because they reduce drivetrain shock. THAT is why they choose autos. Not for better performance. In fact, in almost ANY vehicle, if there is a stickshift and an automatic, the auto is ALWAYS slower. Why? FEWER GEARS. With more gears, you can remain in the engines powerband. With fewer gears, you are not in it as often. This is elementary knowledge, I can't believe you don't know this.

I don't care how good you think you are at driving a 5-speed, but NO ONE, and i mean NO ONE can outshift an automatic transmission.

Yes, they really can. Autos are CONSISTENT, but manuals usually have MORE GEARS, which allow them to be FASTER.

Even the SVX's relatively tempermental box can rip through shifts many times quicker than even the most seasoned racer.

Riiiiigght. And the SVX was produced by god himself. In fact, this HIGH PERFORMANCE racing SVX tranny is also installed in OTHER high performance vehicles like....oh... the Mazda MPV minivan... and the Nissan Pathfinder. Wow. it sure is a PERFORMANCE transmission.

Go ahead, try your clutch popping method against an auto. That just amplifies the spinning tires effect that screws over the front drive cars to begin with.

I'm not talking about spinning the tires moron. I'm talking about raising the revs to 3-4 grand and dumping the clutch. The result? A small CHIRP and you're hauling ass.

Not only are you dealing with only two tires to get power to the ground, now you are FORCING them to fight for traction, not even giving them a chance.

uhhh... I don't even think I need to comment on the ignorance here.

And then you say the neon is performance oriented?

The 5 spd. Yes. RELATIVELY. Look at that website I already gave you. In comparison to its competition, it is the best braking, best handling, and quickest car out there.

I shouldn't even bother with this because everyone in your age range seems to think that the Neon, Cavalier, Focus, Civic, Integra, Sentra...etc...were really designed to be race cars but because of the US's "strict" street rules, they had to be toned down?!

I've never said this. But since you're going to label me, I think I'll label you, alright? Now, I shouldnt even bother arguing against an ignorant chevy owner, because all of you inbred rednecks seem to think the camaro z28 is the best car in the entire world and that having sex with your sister is okay. WAKE UP! CAMAROS ARE FOR TRAILER TRASH. See? I can label you as well. Granted, it is most likely an incorrect label, but I don't really care seeing as how you are incorrectly labeling me.

WAKE UP!!! They are ECONOMY CARS...E-C-O-N-O-M-Y...that means they are meant to get from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. Not to do it fast, or in style (obviously), but SIMPLY TO SAVE YOU MONEY.

Hey, no arguement there. Neon are cheap. Here are my plans: Neon shell : 1500, 2.4: 700. For under 3000 dollars I'll be running 14 second 1/4s and get almost a G on the skidpad. WEE!

Hence the significant difference in cost between an SVX and a NEON. Yet another reason to STOP COMPARING the two. You want a fast car, buy a fast car.

There really isn't that big of a price difference. I sold my neon for 3400. The SVX cost me 3600. But I'm going to say something here that maybe, just maybe, you'll understand. The SVX is FAST. The neon is QUICK. Understand?

Again i apologize for having to use the age reference...but you show me a 30+ year old man (or woman) driving a Civic with Ground effects, lots of stickers and that exhaust that sounds like a turbocharged weedwhacker, and then i will consider changing my generalization.

Sadly, I know of a few. Not personally, but there was some 'rice (honda) meet in Madison a few weeks back... there were guys in their late 20s early 30s driving around in hte ugliest most obnoxious hondas I've ever seen. BLECH.

What's with the link? It says 0-60 in 7.5 secs. That's 3 tenths behind the worst test that i've heard of for the SVX (i've heard 6.9 to 7.2). If you consider that close, i remind you that 3 tenths of a second means there is more than a full carlength between the competitors at 60mph. Hell, my mom's car does 0-60 in 7.3 secs (infiniti I30). So what are you trying to say here?

What I'm trying to say is that nobody on this forum (that I'm aware of) is getting CLOSE to magazine times in the 1/4 mile with their SVX. Do a search. I'm not even sure I've seen an SVX in the 15s EVER. However, I've seen quite a few stock neon do 15s. A stock R/T with some drag slicks managed a 15.3 2 years ago at union grove (the dragstrip around here).

- Ca$h

Last edited by $VX; 10-31-2002 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2002, 02:03 PM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by solarsvx
ohh cash ,, talking abought weight to power ratio,, so does that mean a little mazda miata with 140 hp and 2,200 curb weight means its fast also ?
I wouldn't call them slow by any means. Maybe underpowered, but they're not that slow.

- Ca$h
Old 10-31-2002, 02:41 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

I wouldn't call them slow by any means. Maybe underpowered, but they're not that slow.

- Ca$h

First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 10-31-2002, 03:26 PM
I look like Gordon

Can someone turn off the BOLD tags on this site? That might help...

Old 10-31-2002, 04:21 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Can someone turn off the BOLD tags on this site? That might help...

. . . and, while they're at it, turn ON the spellchecker?
2001 Outback Sport
Old 11-01-2002, 12:38 PM
$VX

If we did that Solar couldn't post though.

- Ca$h
Old 11-01-2002, 01:20 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

. . . and, while they're at it, turn ON the spellchecker?
The spellchecker was a free item when we first got the software. Since then, they have started charging an exhorbitant sum for it. One idea, If you want a free spell checker, is to type your post in Word, run the spell check and cut and paste. A little inconvenient, but free.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-01-2002, 02:26 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

The spellchecker was a free item when we first got the software. Since then, they have started charging an exhorbitant sum for it. One idea, If you want a free spell checker, is to type your post in Word, run the spell check and cut and paste. A little inconvenient, but free.
I meant it as a joke . . .

sorry.

I actually enjoy the linguistic creativity.
2001 Outback Sport
Closed Thread