How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-16-2002, 10:13 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

O/T SIA Plant

Well it seems that Isuzu's troubles continue. In this week's Craine Auto news there's an article about the Isuzu and Subaru plant and Isuzu's American future. Things look very bad. Apparently the new 2003 model manufacture date has been pushed back to the end of Nov (from July) with Isuzu promising that vehicles will be made there in 2003. Currently there are talks going on between Subaru, Isuzu and GM concerning the future of Isuzu in the Sport Ute business. GM has already stated that Isuzu should get out of the Sport Ute business. Possible future uses for the plant include Subaru buying Isuzus 49% to work on a joint GM and Sub 7 pass. tall wagon. Problem with this is GM is balking b/c of Subaru's stuborness to go away from the boxer designed motor . What should they go back to a pushrod designed boxer?

The article goes on to say that the factory is expected to produce even less vehicles in 2003. Around 160,000 from a high of 200,000+ in 99.
Old 10-16-2002, 10:15 AM
Green1995SVX

That is very sad. Someone needs to tell them to start prodcing the SVX again, and do it there! WHEEEE.

Mike
Old 10-16-2002, 10:17 AM

Send a message via AIM to Paisan Send a message via Yahoo to Paisan
Actually... Isuzu is just giving up their stake in the plant to FHI. The only thing it means is that they won't reap any profits from that. Instead FHI will make the trucks for Isuzu and isuzu will just re-sell them. GM has killed the Isuzu truck market by neutering them on advertising and pricing and content. Isuzu's core business is Diesel Engines (Med-duty trucks and Duramax Engines in the 2500 series GM trucks) SUVs only made up a small portion of their business. It's a shame cause they are nearly indestructable SUVs.

One theory is that FHI will buy GM's stake in Isuzu and will basically incorporate Isuzu trucks into their lineup as Subarus, this would make Subazu a "full-line" manufacturer.

-mike
Old 10-16-2002, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paisan
GM has killed the Isuzu truck market by neutering them on advertising and pricing and content.

-mike
Too some extend now but Isuzu's problems began long before GM seriously in the picture financially. Too bad they do build great running trucks. Granted they all have valve noise if you don't change the oil right at 3000 miles but it doens't hurt the engines.
Old 10-16-2002, 12:21 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
That is very sad. Someone needs to tell them to start prodcing the SVX again, and do it there! WHEEEE.

Mike
My only reason for hoping they produce the SVX again is so that in 5 years I could buy a used one that didn't have the problem areas of the originals.

If an SVX cost $36,000 in 1997, imagine what a new 2004 model would run. I don't think I could afford one.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-16-2002, 12:56 PM

SVX again

Well maybe they will produce it again. I'm sure Subaru will be watching the sales #s of the 350z and the RX8 in the near future. Then just as the market starts dying again they'll come out with the new "SVX". I'm sure it will rely on an existing platform, use the 3.0 H-6 and not be so unique but it will still be 3 years too late to the market to be a big money maker. Subaru has had a way of doing that for the past 15 years or so. Remember the $$$ is in the expensive vehicles. I'm sure the profits for 1 H-6 Outback is 5-10 times what it is for a Legacy L wagon. Why do you think you only see ads for the most expensive vehicles on TV?
Old 10-16-2002, 01:47 PM

Hmm out of the 200-500 Isuzu owners I know only a few have problems of valve tap, and that is on 200K+ models.

I have had 2, a 97 rodeo that went 120K before I traded it in on an '00 Trooper. So far 45K no problems.

GM has had a significant financial stake of Isuzu since the mid-80s. Consumer Reports false rollover article didn't help either.

-mike
Old 10-16-2002, 02:25 PM

Isuzu

Quote:
Hmm out of the 200-500 Isuzu owners I know only a few have problems of valve tap, and that is on 200K+ models.

I have had 2, a 97 rodeo that went 120K before I traded it in on an '00 Trooper. So far 45K no problems.

GM has had a significant financial stake of Isuzu since the mid-80s. Consumer Reports false rollover article didn't help either.

-mike
They must actually change their oil on time. 3 out of 4 that arrive at auction here need to get a oil flush and risoline treatment to quite them down enough so they can be sold. They're kinda like my Brat in that respect. They tell you when to change the oil. If you don't the noise will become a fixture in the engine.

Yes GM has had a 25% stake in Isuzu since the 80s. In the past 5 years they've nearly doubled that and are the majority owner in Isuzus diesel ventures.

I wouldn't call the rollover article false... they just forgot to say that all the other manufacturer's SUVs have a greater tendency to roll than a car. I guess they were afraid of being sued by the big boys. Isuzu and Suzuki can't afford to fight like Ford, Chevy and Chrylser can. It just kills their reputation too quickly.
Old 10-16-2002, 08:13 PM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Hope springs eternal

The new ad for the Baja shows the Brat twice.

I just had a daydream of a new SVX with our beauties in the background.... Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 10-17-2002, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dick Young

My only reason for hoping they produce the SVX again is so that in 5 years I could buy a used one that didn't have the problem areas of the originals.

If an SVX cost $36,000 in 1997, imagine what a new 2004 model would run. I don't think I could afford one.
I think most of that was R&D money that eventually trickled down the goodies to other subies. They could just re-tool, add in some more power and VTD and they'd have a kick-butt car. They'll probably do that just as the 350z and other coupes go out of style AGAIN.

-mike
Old 10-17-2002, 07:10 AM

Quote:

I think most of that was R&D money that eventually trickled down the goodies to other subies. They could just re-tool, add in some more power and VTD and they'd have a kick-butt car. They'll probably do that just as the 350z and other coupes go out of style AGAIN.

-mike
Uhhhhh . . . what's VTD?
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-17-2002, 07:40 AM
Green1995SVX

Variable torque distribution AWD.

Mike
Old 10-18-2002, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Variable torque distribution AWD.

Mike
(smacks forehead with palm of hand) Yeah, I knew that.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-18-2002, 06:59 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
If the VTD goes haywire , it becomes a

Vicarious Thrill Device
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!