Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts Wanted > SVX Parts Wanted

Old 12-30-2013, 05:50 PM

Registered SVX
ISO: aluminum radiator (pwr5229-3)

I'm looking to buy a full aluminum radiator like the ones pwr makes. Anybody have any leads shoot me a message or if you have one shoot me a price please
Old 12-31-2013, 08:04 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: ISO: aluminum radiator (pwr5229-3)

Send a PM to SomethingElse. I was shopping for a radiator a few months ago. I was a little frustrated as several deals fell through, then, suddenly, I had more offers than I needed. I'm not sure he still has one, but if he doesn't, someone else will. Be patient.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:58 AM

Registered SVX

Ill shoot him a message, I got a quote from pwr but it'll be a while until I could come up with that kind if cash. I'd prefer a used one over anything or something within a reasonable price range. I'm always more than patient for a good deal
Old 01-21-2014, 08:50 AM

Registered SVX

Still seeking one..
Old 01-25-2014, 09:26 AM

Registered SVX

Looking for any functional radiator. Mine has a hole in it.. Prefer all aluminum but ill settle for a used oem one for the right price
Old 01-25-2014, 10:23 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX

You can't go wrong with a Silla. Lots of us have them. Mines been working great for over 5 years. $120.57 shipped: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SILLA-COOLIN...45a7b3&vxp=mtr
Old 01-30-2014, 05:14 PM

Registered SVX

Just got a deal on a all aluminum sti rad with fans and steel hoses, hoping to make it work. Measured the stock one and they're about the same size and when I add my tranny cooler it will make up for the radiator being from a manual sti.

Keeping my fingers crossed it all works
Old 01-30-2014, 05:50 PM

What year Sti ? Follow up here with how the retrofit goes..inquiring minds would like to know !
Old 01-31-2014, 05:36 PM

Registered SVX

02-07 sti. Overal specs are 28"x17.25"x2.25" with inlet and outlet hoses that are 1.5". I got about 29"x18"x2" give or take when I measured my radiator, and with the set of slim fans and universal radiator hoses that are cut to fit I should be good. I have a b and m super cooler to add to make up for the loss of the tranny cooler on the rad like I said.

Ill post pics later in the week if all goes well, worst comes to worse I have a buyer with an 04 impreza who'll take it off my hands if it doesn't fit
Old 01-31-2014, 05:49 PM

Pictures would definitely be a plus...are the hose inlet/outlets anywhere near the stock locations. Assume some fiddling with stock wiring connectors to fit new fans ? Good luck. I have a bar/plate B&M tranny cooler and it works pretty well letting the trans fluid warm up so the torque convertor can lock even on the teen's temps we have be having here in western NC. Takes a while of driving, maybe 5 minutes. I slip a piece of cardboard to cover half the cooler on the coldest days.
Old 02-01-2014, 09:10 AM

Registered SVX

The hoses are close to stock but the top is more centered and the filler neck is off to the side, but I got a 4' cut to fit steel hose kit that has adapters for 1.5" hoses, they're flexible and will fit he radiator and almost positive the svx. When everything arrives ill post pictures of the parts and then hopefully if it goes right of the install. I'm sure ill be moving the mounting brackets but that's not a big deal
Old 02-16-2014, 11:42 AM

Registered SVX

Just a quick update: minor modification is needed. Some simple fabrication and welding, and new universal mount hoses. Had new mounts welded in, installed a b and m super cooler tranny cooler, a spin on tranny filter with sandwich adapter/temp probe, the new radiator, the lower hose, the whole nine yards. I now can drop in any 02-07 sti radiator! However I have one issue waiting to be solved, that is the top hose is in the middle of the radiator and with the hose kit I got it will touch the serpentine belt. Hopefully a 90 degree elbow will sovle that and ill be good to go.

If all works out well, in the future I could drop in a better brand radiator for a lot less than the pwr one.

Pictures are soon to come as I have trouble with posting them from mobile. If anyone is interested I did take pictures along the way to show the whole process
Old 02-16-2014, 12:22 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I've been doing this for years.
The best fitting top hose is a NAPA 9128.
You have to be aware of several things.
Not all WRX radiatiors have radiator caps!
You have to buy new fans.
You have to make new mounts.
It is time/labor intensive!
Unlless you do it yourself time = money.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 02-16-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAKKTHERIPPER View Post
Just a quick update: minor modification is needed. Some simple fabrication and welding, and new universal mount hoses. Had new mounts welded in, installed a b and m super cooler tranny cooler, a spin on tranny filter with sandwich adapter/temp probe, the new radiator, the lower hose, the whole nine yards. I now can drop in any 02-07 sti radiator! However I have one issue waiting to be solved, that is the top hose is in the middle of the radiator and with the hose kit I got it will touch the serpentine belt. Hopefully a 90 degree elbow will sovle that and ill be good to go.

If all works out well, in the future I could drop in a better brand radiator for a lot less than the pwr one.

Pictures are soon to come as I have trouble with posting them from mobile. If anyone is interested I did take pictures along the way to show the whole process

Thanks for the update...looking forward to the DIY photos. Sounds like a fun project thus far for those cold Gloversville nights ! I got a little taste of MIG welding...the captive nut holding one of my upper hood strut ball fitting rusted off from its weld inaccessible, within hood. Couldn't access to put a new nut on it and tighten without cutting a big honker hole on the under side so spot welded the external 12mm nut shaped part of the ball to the sheet metal after removing the fiber gasket from that washer underneath it to get a good ground. Screwed a 12mm bolt into the hole farther up the hood to get an out of the way grounding spot and went at it. If that strut (replaced once) ever fails again, I guess I'll have pop off the strut somehow (split the case with a Dremel) and get one of those aftermarket struts with the circlip pop on head.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: