How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-04-2013, 01:57 PM
The Molinator

SVX for SALE!

How depressing.. My SVX has been overheating every week or two.. even after topping off! [Another thread here] Keep topping .. pint or so each time? Dint wanna admit that I saw bubbles bubbling into the overflow reservoir.. After work yesterday, I topped off again.. and siphoned off the excess coolant in the overflow reservoir (almost to top).. This morning, it was close to the top again.. and bubbles bubbling into reservoir, even though coolant gauge showed normal temp! Yikes! I've evidently gone full circle.. back to head gasket problem I had last August.. when I decided to get "new" Nate engine! I have to believe he did the head gaskets.. So, I must have stressed (warped) when first test driving this "new" engine in June (?) when it evidently had air pocket.. I drove home with heater on in red zone .. for about 5 miles ??
Jim
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Valentine One Radar Detector with Remote Display - ucan'tseeme!

Last edited by James Scott; 10-04-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Registered SVX
Re: SVX for SALE!

did you check your radiator cap?
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 10-04-2013, 05:02 PM
The Molinator

Yes.. new 2 weeks ago.. New one last nite!
Plus.. overflow reservoir smells like exhaust!
2013 Veloster Red - Driver Now??Dropsprings [1/2" rear, 1" front] with Koni Strut Inserts> Magnaflow Exhaust System> ECUTune Stage 1av1 Upgrade (from 1v4)> ECUTune TCU MOD> Aluminum Crankshaft Pulley> Stainless Brake Lines> Phenolic Spacers> Perforated Brake Rotors (dint like, OEM now)> SmallCar Shift Kit (resting since TCU MOD)> 7-Position Ground System> High-Pressure Fuel Pressure Regulator (resting)> ATF Cooler & Campaign Filter> Yellow Polish Polyurethane Bushings> Pioneer Double-DIN Stereo with JL AUDIO Speakers> Driveshaft Rebuilt with C-Clip U-Joints> 15 Min MOD> 20 Min MOD .. . (2011)
Old 10-07-2013, 07:19 PM
The Molinator

Theoretically.. this could be cracked head.. if not just gasket!
I don't want to.. but seems like time to Seal and Sell.. ??
Old 10-07-2013, 09:27 PM

Are you sure both head gaskets were done before you got the motor? Or was it just a running used motor? This sounds 100% like a blown head gasket to me.
Old 10-07-2013, 10:58 PM
The Molinator

$2500 for head gskts, bolts, water pump, timing gear, etc .. I assume he did. I overheated on test drive.. for 5 miles after engine install (air pocket?).. sent to CA from PA. Worked good otherwise.. no oil leaks at all. Ultimate Bummer! Marriage .. or head gasket engine out/in? This burned me out. BARR'S Head Gasket Fix sounding better now in this mess..Bought it last year.. but decided to get "rebuilt" low mileage engine.. Now, same head gasket leak I had to start with!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 11:17 AM

Registered SVX

i would try BG Coolant System Sealer. i have seen it seal some extremely bad head gaskets before. if the head is cracked it won't work but if it's the gasket it will seal it right up. do you know if the heads were pressure tested? that's usually recommended by the machine shop when resurfacing the head but sometimes doesn't get done.
1956 Plymouth Belvedere - Daisy
1967 Chevy C20
1953 Chevy 210
1969 Plymouth Satellite
1949 Chevy Thriftmaster
1959 Chevy Apache
1951 Chevy Stepside
1969 Chevy Camper Special
1978 Ford F150 w/ stroked 460
1986 Volvo 740 turbo wagon
1999 GMC 2500 Creep Van
1994 Impreza Outback
Old 10-09-2013, 04:21 PM
The Molinator

I was devastated when I concluded this coolant issue was another head gasket leak!
1) Is it possible to diagnose which side and do that side only?
2) Is it possible to do with engine in the car (say YES)?
3) I was seriously considering the Barr's HG Fix I bot last year (then, sell), but don't think I can sell my car to anyone in that condition.. without turning myself in to the Police! [conscience problem] .. OR .. Is it really OK overall (works good sometimes?) .. . ??
4) After all the time I spent swapping engines.. my wife will not be thrilled with me doing more (every Sunday!) car repairs! ..(I'm slow, methodical).. plus cold here soon.. This is an OLD car.. love it.. But OLD. Squeak up front (bouncing).. yellow poly's?? I just put in when engine was being done.. Annoying squeak!.. Well.. old enough to sell certainly, but conscience (and marriage) challenges! Ha!.. ???
5) I also noticed AC very variable .. sometimes 21 degrees (on AC thermometer in vent).. sometime 58! I wonder if I'm about to have trouble with the AC (compressor) or climate control? Is this related to the overheating/head gasket leak?
Thanks, Jim
Old 10-09-2013, 04:53 PM

Yes, you can change SVX HG's with the engine in the car-- I've done it-- but it's like climbing up the stairs when they're right next to an escalator-- why do it? I did it when I didn't have access to an engine hoist and didn't know how easy Subaru EG-series engines are to pull (which I now know.) You have to jack up the engine so the valve covers clear (or mostly clear) the frame side rails.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

This really sucks.
If Nate says that He changed the head gaskets I would believe Him.

I have never heard of this product but have a very high opinion of BG Products oils.

"i would try BG Coolant System Sealer. i have seen it seal some extremely bad head gaskets before. if the head is cracked it won't work but if it's the gasket it will seal it right up. "

Back in about 1977 or so I was told to add some block sealer into a small block Chevy with a HUGE water leak, somewhere on the engine.
Whatever the product was it absolutely worked.
I would love to have some today, but time is fleeting, memory fades.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 10-09-2013, 07:03 PM
The Molinator

So.. Barr's is not good?
I remember hearing about having to lift the engine now that you refresh my memory! .. Sounds like removal only reasonable way.. Maybe BG Coolant System Sealer.. HuH?? I haven't ever seen it, but I can search..
If I can't use a sealer? .. I'll be cracking the short block apart pretty soon.. after the head gasket repair! I need to do something after I retire.. ? Maybe this is my destiny.. .

"Senior Citizens Auto Service .. How may I help you?" [OR.. "Over The Hill Auto.. . ?"]

Thanks, Jim
Old 10-09-2013, 08:10 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I would only do the head gaskets with the engine removed.
Everything is easier to reach, you can see what what you are working on,
I don't have YT's little Girlie hands!

Someday, He is just going to beat me to death, and who can blame Him!

Hi Tom!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 11-27-2013, 03:54 PM
The Molinator

Parked.. thinking about all this! For the winter.. .

Jim
ˇFeliz Dia de Gracias Amigos!