Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2013, 06:18 AM

Generic alternatives to "Genuine Subaru" fluids?

The owner's manual for my recently-acquired 2008 Outback specifies the use of Subaru automatic transmission fluid and coolant. (Other recommended ATFs are IDEMITSU ATF HP and Castrol Transmax J.) A boldface note cautions, "if the recommended automatic transmission fluid is unavailable, Dexron III may be temporarily used. If the Dexron III is used continuously there will be a noticeable increase in the vibration and noise from the automatic transmission."

There's a separate, "Subaru Genuine Coolant Advisory" card in the owner's literature stating, "Failure to use Genuine Subaru Coolant along with Subaru Cooling System Conditioner... may result in problems, including but not limited to shortened life of engine components and coolant system clogging, coolant leaks and engine damage from overheating."

There's no Subaru dealership near me, so the purchase of "Genuine Subaru" anything entails shipping charges. And I tend to view brand name recommendations of any sort as marketing blather "specially formulated" to move product. What's the conventional street wisdom on aftermarket equivalents to these Subaru specs; something readily available at the local parts house or big box?

And is "Subaru Cooling System Conditioner" in fact a wishful-thinking, head gasket stop-leak concoction?

Thanks for your advice.
dcb
Old 06-03-2013, 08:18 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Generic alternatives to "Genuine Subaru" fluids?

Subaru cooling system conditioner is actually Holts Radweld. The plastic container has Holts embossed on it. It is specifically used to prevent head gasket issues.

Last edited by Blacky; 06-03-2013 at 08:23 AM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Generic alternatives to "Genuine Subaru" fluids?

If 2008 was still the green "long life" versus the blue "super long life" then Zerex Asian is a very good substitute. For the tranny fluid, I have been using Redline D4 in my 2006 Tribeca and it seems to be working well. See what you have in your area (Royal Purple, Amsoil, etc.) and contact them for their suggestions.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything