SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 03-18-2013, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: First Outback problem

As we speak, I am riding in the tow truck with the Outback to Russel Subaru. The driver jacked up the car, took off all the lugs and just gave the wheel a couple of really hard jerks and the nut popped off (he was a really big guy)

Evidentally the nut was not started correctly, cross-threaded and the impact gun did the rest. Realy tore the threads off the nut and stud. Trying to loosen the nut just packed the threads with metal. First 3/4" of the stud just worn away.

Temporary spare with 4 nuts on the rear. Didn't want to take the chance off another problem driving the 60 miles to the dealer. Will update later.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 03-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Now that's good old fashioned service.

Naw, old fashioned service wouldn't have done it in the first place. Glad they're taking responsiblity John.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:26 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Just the facts:

Car is at Russel Subaru being fixed as we speak.
Steve Russel was there when I arrived to personally seewhat happened and to be sure it never happened again. Was extremely apologetic and reassuring.

Was waiting for the loaner Outback to be brought around, when Steve Russel pulled me aside and said:

"I know that you were promised an Outback, but if you want, how about a BRZ instead?"

So for the next 2-3 days I am driving a new silver BRZ with automatic/ 6-speed manual. It only has 83 miles on it and just came back from the upholstery shop where they put in black leather. I think they were going to use it as a demo, but he decided to let have it through tomorrow.

Not my cup of tea for the kind of long-distance driving I do, but a blast to drive, even In the rain. Suspension a little hard and it is slightly noisy due to minimum insulation. Exhaust sounds nice, but is always prevalent. Listening to the stereo would be not the greatest. Transmission is smooth and the rear visability sucks!

Definitely as a weeked / Sunday-at-the-track diversion

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 03-18-2013, 04:45 PM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Pics along side the svx for comparison? or it didn't happen

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-18-2013, 04:48 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Hi John,
What would you say if Steve offered to trade you the BRZ for your SVX?
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM
dances with roads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
So for the next 2-3 days I am driving a new silver BRZ with automatic/ 6-speed manual.
<*me* heads out to closest Subie he can find to crossthread a lugnut>

My new-ish neighbor just got a BRZ. From the street it looks black on black. Me want! If it ever stops snowing I mean to go over there, introduce myself, and beg for a ride.
2012 Tacoma 4wd v6 Access Cab
2013 Mercedes E350 4Matic Wagon
2005 STi - totaled after 10 great years
1994 SVX LSi 5spd - sold but not forgotten
2000 Legacy GT 5spd sedan - gone after 150K miles of bliss
Old 03-18-2013, 04:52 PM

Legacy wheel studs seem to be more fragile than most. I've had half a dozen Legacys and I think 4 of them have had broken or stripped studs. I just twisted off a cross-threaded stud on the '92 Legacy turbo I picked up last Saturday. I'm glad the stud broke rather than the hub stripping out.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

We drove home tonight without too many problems. Put it in manual mode and used the paddle shifters a lot. Rained most of the day, but the car handled well and quite responsive and predictable. About halfway home it changed over to sleet and then to ice.

Made it to the top of my pristine, ice-covered driveway, which is about half mile long, a slight downward grade and 3 curves. Once the treads filled with slush, this car with an automatic was worthless!! No matter what gear it was in, the amount of braking, etc., this car refused to stop when I wanted it to. Even in reverse with no gas, it was sliding forward. The traction control "snow/sport" selected but made no difference. Now was not the time to experiment with the various traction control settings, or turn it off completely. I just wanted to get home and there was no way I could have managed the curves with zero traction and avoided trees. Much rather have a manual clutch where I could have more control.

Since the top of my driveway is flat and open, I managed to back it up onto the unpaved shoulder to get traction, turned the wheel, and let it gently slide forward on its own into an open area of my property, where it sits until tomorrow.

I'll be glad to get this back to the dealer tomorrow in one piece. I like the beauty of all-wheel-drive, especially since the groundhog still seems to be giving us the finger!

Last edited by svxcess; 03-19-2013 at 11:05 AM.
Old 03-18-2013, 05:49 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

The Outback will be ready tomorrow afternoon. As expected, they covered the complete stud fiasco.

As long as I had the car in there, besides only replacing one tire (the remaining tires had 35K on them but no measureable difference in circumference or wear) I had them:

Replace timing belt/water pump
Replace main serpantine drive belt
New front rotors (originals had been turned once before)
Front and rear ceramic brake pads
Oil change
New battery
New plugs

$1193.00

They could have recommended all new tires, but said it was fine to only replace the one. There is a written understanding that if I develop a tranny problem due to tire differences, they will cover it. They are not trying to inflate the bill, but doing what they can to save me money, when it would be easier to cover their a$$.

Steve Russel said he didn't want my business just once, but for a lifetime.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:14 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post

They could have recommended all new tires, but said it was fine to only replace the one. There is a written understanding that if I develop a tranny problem due to tire differences, they will cover it. They are not trying to inflate the bill, but doing what they can to save me money, when it would be easier to cover their a$$.

Steve Russel said he didn't want my business just once, but for a lifetime.
To cover your own ass, get that in writing stating just that. I wouldn't put two different size tires on my AWD. I would make them put something in writing they are willing to cover the cost should an issue arise from it.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 03-18-2013, 10:03 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

besides only replacing one tire (the remaining tires had 35K on them but no measureable difference in circumference or wear)

It was put in writing. Did you read his post?
Old 03-18-2013, 11:05 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
besides only replacing one tire (the remaining tires had 35K on them but no measureable difference in circumference or wear)

It was put in writing. Did you read his post?
What he said was, a written understanding, that does not equate to a written agreement. Does this understanding that the shop will be liable for any transmission issues that arise due to placing a new tire on a AWD vehicle and matching it? or does it state it could have issues arising from doing this?

Merely asking if he actually has a signed document stating that. I don't see a tire having 35k miles on it not having a difference in circumference, but if they actually went through the steps to measure and compare so be it. I only ask to make sure he doesn't get stuck with a newer outback with a bum transmission and a dealer owner refusing to pay for it. Not all dealers are bad but they are in the business of making money and replacing transmissions for free is not good for business.

So anyways, to answer your question, yes I did read the post. Just clarifying what the "written agreement" states.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
Old 03-19-2013, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

This is what if said

SERVICE AGREEMENT

Upon closer examination of the recently damaged left rear tire of my 2010 Outback. It is the firm
opinion that Russel Subaru Mazda, 6624 Baltimore National Pike, Catonsville, MD, 21228, that I
am in need of only the one replacement tire, which was irreparably damaged in a blowout.
The thread circumferences were measured and found to be within acceptable tolerance to each
other is size, so as not to hinder the drivability or problems with the all wheel drive system.

My suggestion to replace all tires that were brand new and matching was deemed unnecessary by
the Assistant Service Manager, Jeff Hudson. My recent tires now have 35K on them and are
worn, but I was assured by the service department that it should not be a problem for the car
transmission or differentials. The car in question is a

2010 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
VIN 4S4BRBKC1A3335197
Azurlite Blue w/Warm Ivory leather interior
Tag no. 28618 BY
Sticker 5082467

This a written understanding between the parties that, as result of the decision to replace one tire,
if I develop any abnormal transmission issues or driveshaft problem that is determined to be due
to the mismatched tires or the tire differences on the vehicle. Russel Subaru will cover the entire costs
of any repair to either the transmission or drive axle shaft, or any other situation that may be caused
by having mismatched tires on the vehicle

Signed this Tuesday, the nineteenth day of May, 2013 in Catonsville, Maryland

Jeff Hudson
Russel Subaru Asst, Service Manager

Trish M. Hoffman
John H. Hoffman, III
2880 Staley Drive
Westmindter, MD

Last edited by svxcess; 03-19-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2013, 05:19 AM
What Potholes ???
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Looks like your bases are well covered. Was that your idea to draft that or theirs?

92 Pearl White Ls-l (138k) Euro Headlights & Blinkers, 97 Grill, Euro Tail Lights, SS Brake Lines, Stebro Exhaust, Slotted Rotors, Classic Registration
96 Legacy Outback (206k) 5-speed 2.2 Lightweight Crank Pulley, Group N Trans & Motor Mounts SOLD
Wanted: Steering Wheel
Old 03-19-2013, 10:31 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Looks air tight! Just was making sure you didn't just take someones word. Also did you write that? Glad they are taking care of you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: