Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Brake Upgrades
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2012, 01:01 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: 6 pot mono block Brembo calliper kit

I would be interested in a kit that basically adapts the stock STi brembos to the SVX and fits under 17"s. Really, I can source a pair of front brembo calipers, rotors, and pads myself without too much difficulty, so I'm more interested in the actual adapter itself than the brakes.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 08-05-2012, 03:02 PM
Its a Classic!

Me to I see such an adapter having a pretty large demand
STi BBS wheels,legacy gt 4.44, 3" catback exhaust, Stance GR+ 7k/5k, QS Teflon adjustable endlinks, Hankook EVO 245/40/17, 95-LS escaine seats, GC8 V7 steering wheel, JDM clear corners, small car clear lenses, Alcyone badge, JDM rear taillight, 97 grille, stevesby bumper, PWR radiator, Perrin Crank pulley, Urethane Swaybar bushings, urethane diff bushings, DDM 6k 55watt lows and 4500k 35watt fog lights; $15/15min mod, Motorsport whs 22mm rear swaybar, QC shift kit, ToMyx intake, z32 aluminum calipers 13" rotors, nitrous express proton + wet kit.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
I would be interested in a kit that basically adapts the stock STi brembos to the SVX and fits under 17"s. Really, I can source a pair of front brembo calipers, rotors, and pads myself without too much difficulty, so I'm more interested in the actual adapter itself than the brakes.
It would much easier to fit a radial mount 4 pot or even 6 pot calliper under a 17" rim (new items for not much more then second hand sti brakes) but I will need buy some to work it out which I will do but at the moment I've spent quit a bit of money taking a leap of faith doing the r&d
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
96 emerald pearl SVX about to revive
Old 08-05-2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman050 View Post
Me to I see such an adapter having a pretty large demand
Well I think demand is relative to depth of ones pocket.

At what price do you think there would be demand?

The kit I've made could be alot cheaper if 30 svxers put there hand up for them but making one at a time is not cost effective and this would apply to an sti brembo kit as well

I don't have the capital to make 100 sets to keep as stock to reduce the price
93 Liquid Silver SVX - sti 6 speed with R180 diff, my05 sti steering wheel, sti alloy lateral links, 19x8.5 275/30 42mm offset front and 19x8.5 275/30 22mm offset on the rear, 6 pot brembo caliper with 355 rotors front, 2 pot brembos rear
95 bright red SVX
Old 08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Probably no way you'll get 30, but you could probably get 5-10, if they're priced right. Demand would be pretty decent at anything ~$1000 for an entire setup. Closer it gets to $500, the more demand.

Personally, I think the 6-pot brembos are overkill, and out of the price range of most of us. I am a big fan of overkill usually, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I'd be most interested in an adapter to fit the STi 4-pot "SUBARU" see edit brake calipers in the front, and as big of a rotor that will fit under 17"s that's an off-the-shelf rotor. Meaning it's replaceable without going completely broke. Doesn't strictly matter what car it's from. If it's the actual STi rotors that go with the 4-pots, that's perfect, and I think with the right adapter will fit. I can source the calipers for around $300 and pads and rotors for the same as what new pads and rotors for the stock brakes would cost (I'll estimate $300). So the rest of the cost will be what the adapter costs.

What I think the best route is to identify the best caliper for the job, which could be either the STi ones, or like a nissan 4-pot one, or whatever really, as long as it's something we can source used ourselves. I'd much rather source a used one and rebuild it than pay out the nose for a new one. Find any off-the-shelf rotor that fits well, and make the adapter to go with it and match the two to each other. Then, sell one as the kit with the calipers, rotors, pads, and adapter, and sell as many adapters as people want to buy. Either way, once the adapter dimensions are known, you can make more of them later.

This works well because people often have an easier time of buying stuff like this when they can break it up into smaller purchases rather than one big lump sum.

Another thing that can reduce costs is when shipping the stuff to the US, to ship it all in one initial shipment, and then send it to each person individually after it's already in the US. Also, you're in Australia, so might be good to clarify if you're speaking USD or AUD $$.

edit: some quick research has informed me that there were 300zx/skyline 4-pot calipers very similar to the 4-pot sti ones, but aluminum instead, and therefore lighter. A quick search of ebay indicates that they would be around the same $300 for a used set. So those get my vote instead. The necessary adapter would be different from one for the STi 4-pots, so if we have to have an adapter bracket made either way, makes sense to make it for the aluminum ones instead.

There are also Al 2-pot rears that might be worth looking into seeing how easy they would be to fit.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 08-07-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Probably no way you'll get 30, but you could probably get 5-10, if they're priced right. Demand would be pretty decent at anything ~$1000 for an entire setup. Closer it gets to $500, the more demand.

Personally, I think the 6-pot brembos are overkill, and out of the price range of most of us. I am a big fan of overkill usually, but if you can't afford it, you can't afford it. I'd be most interested in an adapter to fit the STi 4-pot "SUBARU" see edit brake calipers in the front, and as big of a rotor that will fit under 17"s that's an off-the-shelf rotor. Meaning it's replaceable without going completely broke. Doesn't strictly matter what car it's from. If it's the actual STi rotors that go with the 4-pots, that's perfect, and I think with the right adapter will fit. I can source the calipers for around $300 and pads and rotors for the same as what new pads and rotors for the stock brakes would cost (I'll estimate $300). So the rest of the cost will be what the adapter costs.

What I think the best route is to identify the best caliper for the job, which could be either the STi ones, or like a nissan 4-pot one, or whatever really, as long as it's something we can source used ourselves. I'd much rather source a used one and rebuild it than pay out the nose for a new one. Find any off-the-shelf rotor that fits well, and make the adapter to go with it and match the two to each other. Then, sell one as the kit with the calipers, rotors, pads, and adapter, and sell as many adapters as people want to buy. Either way, once the adapter dimensions are known, you can make more of them later.

This works well because people often have an easier time of buying stuff like this when they can break it up into smaller purchases rather than one big lump sum.

Another thing that can reduce costs is when shipping the stuff to the US, to ship it all in one initial shipment, and then send it to each person individually after it's already in the US. Also, you're in Australia, so might be good to clarify if you're speaking USD or AUD $$.

edit: some quick research has informed me that there were 300zx/skyline 4-pot calipers very similar to the 4-pot sti ones, but aluminum instead, and therefore lighter. A quick search of ebay indicates that they would be around the same $300 for a used set. So those get my vote instead. The necessary adapter would be different from one for the STi 4-pots, so if we have to have an adapter bracket made either way, makes sense to make it for the aluminum ones instead.

There are also Al 2-pot rears that might be worth looking into seeing how easy they would be to fit.
i know there is no way of getting 30 orders and thats why i designed my kit to fit liberty and wrx/sti as well as the svx

aud is only slightly higher then usd so specifying which one isnt really relevant, and we're not the only two currencies on the site, my signature states im from australia so it should be assumed im talking aud

i understand your concerns on cost but it is relative to your needs and wants really. everyone would have 6 speed boxes if they where $500 and the same goes for most of the high end mods that we do eg ecu upgrades, cams, piston, rods, injectors, mafs, wheels and the list goes on. this kit is really cheap for brembos, pads, rotors and mounting block. on ebay in the states the best price i can find for the same 6 pot brembos is $1900 (yes aud) with no rotors or mounting block. in japan this kit is an sti upgrade (345x32 rotors) for sti liberty and wrx and they sell for $4,500-$5,000 second hand. here in oz the 6 pot brembo sell second hand for minimum $1500

i agree with your thoughts on shipping although just brackets wouldn't cost much

radial mount 4 pots would be a better option but there is still a degree of cost involved, the current sti brembos bolt on so there is no need to make a bracket when all you need is a rotor to fit, from memory you only need a rotor 10mm larger in diameter, so i think a 340 rotor but not sure when i get around to it ill have a look

ive often wondered about those brembos and if theyd fit
95 bright red SVX
Old 08-09-2012, 10:06 AM

first kit sold to a liberty b4 track car
95 bright red SVX
Old 08-26-2012, 01:25 AM

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180957744...84.m1560.l2649
95 bright red SVX
Old 08-26-2012, 03:14 AM

But site members price is still $2,500AUD
95 bright red SVX
Old 09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

any pics of them installed on an SVX?

This is a reasonable price for Brembo's, I recently quoted new a set of fronts for an Audi S4 is close to $3500 at dealer pricing, msrp is closer to $4000 most brembo kits are very pricey because of the research they put into their calipers and brake systems.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
any pics of them installed on an SVX?

This is a reasonable price for Brembo's, I recently quoted new a set of fronts for an Audi S4 is close to $3500 at dealer pricing, msrp is closer to $4000 most brembo kits are very pricey because of the research they put into their calipers and brake systems.
It's insanely cheap for mono block 6 pot GT series Brembos and rotors and the kit will fit every model subie not just our svx's
95 bright red SVX
Old 09-20-2012, 02:01 PM
Aussie in enemy territory

Registered SVX

How have you got on with the rear set-up? I've got RX8 18" wheels on my 92 and considering a full brake upgrade. Tried better pads and fluid but the improvement was marginal at best.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:47 PM

Registered SVX

To do front and rear would you need larger capacity mc? How would it affect abs and proportioning?
Old 09-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Ewie** View Post
How have you got on with the rear set-up? I've got RX8 18" wheels on my 92 and considering a full brake upgrade. Tried better pads and fluid but the improvement was marginal at best.
its getting there just working on finding a suitable 2 piece rotor for the four pot calipers. two pot sti brembo calipers arent a prblem and doable now
95 bright red SVX
Old 09-23-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
To do front and rear would you need larger capacity mc? How would it affect abs and proportioning?
master cylinder is not an issue the brembo gt series calipers are designed to replace oem brakes and while they are bigger brakes the fluid use is close to the stock brakes, yes there are more pots but they are smaller, the benefits are with increased diameter and contact surfice area, abs only prevents brakes from locking up so it doesnt matter what brake package you have and the function of the proportioning valve is to reduce pressure to the rear brakes to prevent the rear from locking up when weight is transfered to the front

in japan brembo 6 pots (345x32) fronts and 2 pots rears are an optional upgrade and sell for $4,500-$5,000AUD second hand for sust the fronts
95 bright red SVX