IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-26-2012, 08:08 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX
Changing fluids

I'm up for an oil change.

Should any other fluids be replaced at the same time? I know AT oil was replaced in december, brake fluid some weeks ago (I assume they changed or checked when they replaced the brakes), but how about differential oil?

Any recommendations for grades/ products I should use for the various reservoirs?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Changing fluids

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboy View Post
I'm up for an oil change.

Should any other fluids be replaced at the same time? I know AT oil was replaced in december, brake fluid some weeks ago (I assume they changed or checked when they replaced the brakes), but how about differential oil?

Any recommendations for grades/ products I should use for the various reservoirs?
See my signature line.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 06-26-2012, 08:32 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Yes sir! Any suggestion on differential oil?
I'm ready to f...
Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
I know the AT oil was replaced in December, brake fluid some weeks ago (I assume they changed or checked when they replaced the brakes)
Don't assume they changed the fluid and flushed the entire system and replaced it with new fluid. They may have just replaced the worn pads and topped off the system at the reservoir.

If they replaced a brake caliper, they would have bled and flushed the system. Check your receipt or ask the shop.

Brake fluid should be changed about every 2 years. If you are not sure when it was done, it's better to replace it.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 06-26-2012 at 03:26 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Yes sir! Any suggestion on differential oil?
The gear oil goes in the front and rear differentials.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 06-26-2012, 02:44 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Tony, what do you think about AmsOil DOT4 brake fluid?
I believe that I am going to put it in the cars I care about.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I work for my SVX

Registered SVX

I am not a fan in flushing the ATF. Both times it was done on my SVX, my Trans failed. Coincidence?

Subaru SVX for fun
Hyundai Veracruz for the wife.
Susuki SX4 for my older son
Ford Ranger for work
Mercedes Benz Sprinter for vacation trips,
EZ GO Golf cart for driving kids around gated community.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:12 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannmarr View Post
I am not a fan in flushing the ATF. Both times it was done on my SVX, my Trans failed. Coincidence?
It depends on how the transmission is flushed.
When the local Subaru garage started using a pressure flush machine, powered by the approximately 100 psi air line, the failure rate was about 50%, AND JUST A COINCIDENCE!
However I see no problems with usind a drain and fill system,
a gravity system,
or a system like BG Products, that uses the internal transmission pump.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-26-2012, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
or a system like BG Products, that uses the internal transmission pump.
I usually have my transmission flushed every 25,000 miles by my Subaru dealership, which has the machine that uses the SVX's own internal pump to transfer the fluid. It takes about 14 qts. to assure that all the old fluid has been pumped out.

Still shifting flawlessly after 14 years at 135,000 miles

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Last edited by svxcess; 06-26-2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:01 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
Tony, what do you think about AmsOil DOT4 brake fluid?
I believe that I am going to put it in the cars I care about.
I haven't looked into brake fluid much. Amsoil makes decent stuff like Mobil 1 does and BG does. With brake fluid, I would think heat transfer and heat capacity would be the most important along with coefficient of expansion and water solubility. I just don't know how the good guys stack up against each other in brake fluids. The first place I would go to research it is bobistheoilguy.com. They even have a decent search engine. I would bet Amsoil, Redline and like minded companies would all have good products.

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Because I love you Tom:

DRY:580F -- WET:410F -- $/qt~$36.27 -- AMSOIL SERIES 600
DRY:590F -- WET:410F -- $/qt~$39.67 -- AP RACING 600
DRY:593F -- WET:420F -- $/qt~$27.99 -- MOTUL RBF600
DRY:610F -- WET:421F -- $/qt~$49.98 -- NEO SUPER DOT 610
DRY:620F -- WET:425F -- $/qt~$??.?? -- COBALT SUPER XRF
DRY:590F -- WET:518F -- $/qt~$60.58 -- CASTROL SRF

These are the "best of the best" brake fluids. I sorted them by wet boiling point. This is what matters after 2ish years of use when the fluid has absorbed some water. What is hard to find is thermal conductivity, heat capacity, water solubility and thermal coefficient of expansion. Most supplier only list dry and wet boiling point. However, I know Motul and Amsoil are fully aware of the benefits of esters in terms of being able to remove heat from metal surfaces.

I would say the Castrol is the best but the Motul might be the best buy of the bunch. I would go with the Motul over the Amsoil. Look on Amazon for it.

In contrast, Valvoline (a popular, easy to find, inexpensive choice) has a dry boiling point of 480F and a wet boiling point of 311F.

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 06-27-2012 at 05:37 AM.
Old 06-26-2012, 07:36 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
In contrast, Valvoline (a popular, easy to find, inexpensive choice) has a dry boiling point of 480F and a wet boiling point of 311F.
Sadly the SVX brakes aren't capable of exceeding the temps of the valvoline syth. fluid as Dave and I sheared a rear caliper on the racer without exceeding the dry fluid temps on the racer years ago. IMHO anything beyond the cheap stuff changed a couple times a year for race situations is like pissing in a toilet... Nothing but a waste of dead presidents
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

As with most modern transmission flush machines, they do not use pressure at all. They use the transmission's own pump to transferin the new fluid that displaces the old fluid, which is collected and thrown away.

There are two basic types of flush machines. Here is how they work and the differences between them.

COOLER LINE FLUSH MACHINE:

This type of flush machine connects into the transmission cooler lines. BG makes this kind and here is how it works.

The line going from the transmission to the transmission cooler is disconnected and connected to the machine line IN. The line OUT from the machine, carrying new fluid is connected to the line going to the cooler. There is a chamber on the machine that has a diaphragm in it. The top part of the chamber above the diaphragm is filled with new ATF

The engine is started, which turns the torque converter and the input shaft on the transmission. The input shaft turns the transmission pump and it makes hydraulic pressure. This causes the ATF to flow through the cooler line. As fluid leaves the cooler line, it enters the chamber on the flush machine. As the old fluid side of the diaphragm fills it pushes the diaphragm up and forces new fresh fluid into the transmission.

After a while the old fluid is collected in the machine and it is replaced by new fluid. Now the transmission has been flushed, really pretty simple, and you can see the machine caused no pressure and all fluid transfer is done by the transmission's own pump.

The main thing I do not like about this type of flush is that they sell the supposed benefit that they do not have to drop the pan and change the filter (like that is a benefit) Dropping the pan is very important. Looking in the pan is a fantastic diagnostic tool that can tell you if something is going wrong in your transmission.

PUMP INLET FLUSH MACHINE:

This is the type of flush machine my Subaru dealer uses. It connects to the pump intake after the pan and filter are removed. This machine only supplies fresh new fluid to the pump intake and, as the fluid passes through the transmission, it dumps out to a collection tray and never goes back through for a second pass. All of the old ATF and crud are GONE and replaced with fresh new fluid. After the service a new filter is installed, the pan replaced and then it is topped off with new fluid to the proper level on the dipstick.

This process takes a total of 14-15 quarts of fluid to flush out 12 quarts of old fluid, replaces all of the fluid, and gives the mechanic the opportunity to look in the pan for anything unusual that would indicate a pending failure.

This type a flush does take more effort to do and makes a little more of a mess. It costs a little more also, but I think it is worth it.

Old 06-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

And as for brake fluid, I have been using the ATE Super Blue Racing Fluid for years.

DOT 4
Dry boiling point: 536F
Wet boiling point: 388F

It is a blue color and I alternate every other fluid change with the ATE TYP 200, which has the same specs. This fluid is amber in color so it is easy to see when all the old fluid is drained because of the color change.

About $17.00 per liter.

Old 06-26-2012, 10:17 PM
There's a storm coming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
Sadly the SVX brakes aren't capable of exceeding the temps of the valvoline syth. fluid as Dave and I sheared a rear caliper on the racer without exceeding the dry fluid temps on the racer years ago. IMHO anything beyond the cheap stuff changed a couple times a year for race situations is like pissing in a toilet... Nothing but a waste of dead presidents
Ben, I have been using Valvoline fully synthetic for years,
but recently read of the higher boiling point os AmsOil,
and was intriuged.

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link