Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2012, 05:23 PM

Re: Building a 10,000 rpm NA engine.

Well I can't beleive how brilliant the contrubitions are from all the die hard SVX people.

Here is my 2 bob worth,

Quote:
Is there agreement that what we're looking for is more oil flow rate not increased pressure? My impression is that we're already at a 12mm pump and they only alternatives available only increase pressure (?).
Bill
Bill flow is pressure, increase the flow it will increase the pressure unless we mod all the passaages. Pump flow has to move from 56lpm at 5,000 to around 84 lpm. My guess is at that number the blow off valve on the pump won't even go off.

Quote:
I still really like the idea of switching to a timing chain - what all would need to be done in order to make that happen?
Chain drive can't even get close to the speed a belt drive can spin at that is why my dyno had to have belt drive (belt & pully cost $1K). The only reason the newer engines are going to chains is tha they don't need replacing every 100,000 k,
Good info on studs.

Don't touch twin cooling pumps with a 40 ft pole, not going to work. From my stand point cooling is sorted so its no longer a issue time to move on.

Dry Sump Update.
Bazza I pulled the oil pump off a engine and the mods we need to do are simple in my opinion. Could be a better way and happy to hears it.
Pull pump remove rotor and lob, it may be just the outter lob part, reassembly the pump. The supply from the the sump sution needs to be connected to the pressure out let on the new dry sump pump.
Net result the pressure valve will function as normal and the reset on the pump circut will function normally.

Have a great day all and keep up the good work.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:26 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dessertrunner View Post
Chain drive can't even get close to the speed a belt drive can spin at that is why my dyno had to have belt drive (belt & pully cost $1K). The only reason the newer engines are going to chains is tha they don't need replacing every 100,000 k,
Really? I thought they would be able to spin faster. Another thing I've learned already .

Quote:
Dry Sump Update.
Bazza I pulled the oil pump off a engine and the mods we need to do are simple in my opinion. Could be a better way and happy to hears it.
Pull pump remove rotor and lob, it may be just the outter lob part, reassembly the pump. The supply from the the sump sution needs to be connected to the pressure out let on the new dry sump pump.
Net result the pressure valve will function as normal and the reset on the pump circut will function normally.
Wait so which part of the pump is it exactly that needs to be connected to the sump outlet?

Quote:
From my stand point cooling is sorted so its no longer a issue time to move on.
Can we recap how that was sorted exactly even if just for the record? I have read most of the "again and again" thread, but I am still not entirely clear on it.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album

Last edited by icingdeath88; 06-11-2012 at 06:29 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Wait so which part of the pump is it exactly that needs to be connected to the sump outlet?
When I get a chance I will do a cad of the mod.

Quote:
Can we recap how that was sorted exactly even if just for the record. I have read most of the "again and again" thread, but I am still not entirely clear on it.
Good point I need to do that.

Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Some miscellaneous info/thoughts/questions:

Arias carries EG33 head stud sets for $300 (cheaper than 2 $200 sets of EJ20 studs): http://www.atomicspeedware.com/ej33svx92-97.aspx
If anyone wants the sizes/part numbers for the studs let me know as I have them written down somewhere.

Is there any way we could make a pump that's a bigger size than our stock pump? Sort of like the cosworth 12mm pump that replaces the 10mm EJ pumps? Maybe machine one that's 15mm instead of 12mm?

I still really like the idea of switching to a timing chain - what all would need to be done in order to make that happen?

That's a handy link, thank you

Beware, don't buy 2 x sets of EJ20 head studs because the EG33 bolt lengths are different (two lengths due to helical cam wheels in the way) which means you can only use the central 4 x bolts as they're the same as the EJ2X lengths. The outer bolts are shorter. So if you do use EJ20 head studs, just pin the central piston using 4 bolts/studs on both sides. It's actually proven to handle around 800 bhp so more than fine for NA and most turbo applications.

To be honest though, I'd be doing more research on guys like Andy Forest (1050 bhp EG33) and Rigoli (1200 bhp EG33... they've already done all the hard work for us with the EG33 - obviously not all of it is applicable but we can easily take what we need - ie timing belt composition (kevlar like WRC STI belts?), oiling modifications (both run dry sumps) etc. I'd also be researching EJ2X valve train setups, they've also been tested to death and there are proven spring / retainer / valve / cam combinations up to these rpms.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Can we recap how that was sorted exactly even if just for the record? I have read most of the "again and again" thread, but I am still not entirely clear on it.
2" outlet at base of radiator, 2" inlet into water pump.... big cross flow radiator. Done

No need to move or modify the actual thermostat in anyway.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Dry Sump Update.

Have a great day all and keep up the good work.
Tony
That's awesome Tony, got pics?

I've got some updates with my sump pan, will flick some to you tonight when I get home.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:53 PM

Registered SVX

Are people like the Rigoli's more of a drag racing mentality...ie, it doesn't run long enough to generate a problem in between rebuilds?

Titanium valve train is a must to get those revs, and reasonably readily available assuming you swap to all STI valvetrain.

I ran 11mm lift and didn't need to clearance anything to fit...so I'm surprised Bob you had to?

Has anybody tried the Cosworth oil pump? It might be a simpler alternative than dry sump? Or just upping the pressure in our pump (which is all the Cosworth appears to be).

Has anybody had a cam gear/cam belt failure from revs (rather than from age)? I'm not sure it's an issue yet, particuarly if kevlar belts are available.

Doesn't horizontally opposed mean some of the harmonic issues won't appear?

Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynomatt View Post
Are people like the Rigoli's more of a drag racing mentality...ie, it doesn't run long enough to generate a problem in between rebuilds?

Titanium valve train is a must to get those revs, and reasonably readily available assuming you swap to all STI valvetrain.

I ran 11mm lift and didn't need to clearance anything to fit...so I'm surprised Bob you had to?

Has anybody tried the Cosworth oil pump? It might be a simpler alternative than dry sump? Or just upping the pressure in our pump (which is all the Cosworth appears to be).

Has anybody had a cam gear/cam belt failure from revs (rather than from age)? I'm not sure it's an issue yet, particuarly if kevlar belts are available.

Doesn't horizontally opposed mean some of the harmonic issues won't appear?

Matt
Rigoli's, yes pure drag car hence why we take away what we need. It still revved to some massive RPM, it still had huge loading on the bearings so if we can find out details we can take what we need - the oiling in particular. Bare in mind it's making 4 times the power Jack's wikid EG33 NA did.... only 4 times... huge stress on the engine.

With Andy's EG33 making > 1000 hp, that's a track car. Both drags and motorkhana / autocross.

Cosworth simply get an EG33 12mm gearset and whack it in a 10 mm pump housing... that's how you get 12mm. Upping pressure won't work - you just get hot oil and cavitation. You don't really want "fizzy" oil lubricating your bearings.

I've stretched belts in the old 2.5L when going past 8500 rpm. Never got around to using a WRC STI kevlar belt... went EG33 instead.

Interesting about your buckets not having to be touched.. my old 2L STI heads with the big diameter solid buckets had to be heavily relieved to fit the Kelford 272 / 11.5mm cams. The covers also had to be machined which is what Bob was saying we'd have to do with big cams in the EG33 heads as per above.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:55 PM

Hi Matt,
I looked at the pressure issue and the current pump goes no were near top pressure blow off. The only way to increase pressure in the system is to increase flow.

I might be able to ask a mate in the machine tool industry if he can build bigger rotors.

A question do you think caviation/air was a problem in your oil issues?
Tony
Old 06-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Registered SVX

Apologies Tony, I don't know enough about cavitation to know whether it was an issue.

I can say that the two bearing failures I've had relate to two very different circumstances.

1) engine had been overheating all rally, no oil pressure gauge (I know I know) but I continued on until the inevitable big end failure. Revs weren't that high though...I'd say it was maxing out at about 6500rpm which is around factory redline. I assume heat contributed to oil failure.

2) -4 degree morning, I'd started the engine and had idled for some time warming it up before I fouled a plug. Revving the engine attempting to clear the plug, and the big end failed. Again engine revs would have been no more than 7500rpm. I haven't solved this one yet, but have started to tear down the block.

Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Apologies Tony, I don't know enough about cavitation to know whether it was an issue.

I can say that the two bearing failures I've had relate to two very different circumstances.

1) engine had been overheating all rally, no oil pressure gauge (I know I know) but I continued on until the inevitable big end failure. Revs weren't that high though...I'd say it was maxing out at about 6500rpm which is around factory redline. I assume heat contributed to oil failure and you were of course under race conditions.

2) -4 degree morning, I'd started the engine and had idled for some time warming it up before I fouled a plug. Revving the engine attempting to clear the plug, and the big end failed. Again engine revs would have been no more than 7500rpm. I haven't solved this one yet, but have started to tear down the block.

Matt
Failure 1 was most definetely not the fault of the bearing or oiling system. Oil temps would've been through the roof - prolly way above 150'C. I recall a recent email someone sent to an oil company and they said above 150'C with their oil and it pretty much loses all properties that make it prevent metal / metal contact.

Failure 2 could be anything - history, tune etc. What happened the time before the failure? Overheating? As I've said somewhere else, detonation will rip these bearings apart in no time flat. Remove detonation and you'll snap rods before the big ends fail under load.

Last edited by bazza; 06-11-2012 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Registered SVX

I'd only got the tune going the previous day. The engine had done half a rally a couple of months before but we crashed out and then we'd fitted the ITB's. Definitely didn't have big end failure sounds when I just got the tune loaded. Nor was anything apparent the next morning in the time it was idling.

Matt
Old 06-11-2012, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I'd only got the tune going the next day. The engine had done half a rally a couple of months before but we crashed out. Definitely didn't have big end failure sounds when I just got the tune loaded. Nor was anything apparent the next morning in the time it was idling.

Matt
Usually if the tune has detonation and it occurs under heavy load / race conditions it can be simply the next start up or next heavy loading or even next oil change that is the last straw and spins them. Same with major oil surge etc. Cold start is known for being the most damaging for engine bearings. Kinda like the oil warmer in my dry sump tank after thinking about this

Last edited by bazza; 06-11-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-11-2012, 10:14 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\SVX oil pump, stock[/IMG]

[IMG]C:\Documents and Settings\Valued Customer\My Documents\My Pictures\SVX oil pump, stock[/IMG]

This MAY show up as pictures, or as just links to my "New Locker", or not.....
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 06-11-2012, 10:15 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
2" outlet at base of radiator, 2" inlet into water pump.... big cross flow radiator. Done

No need to move or modify the actual thermostat in anyway.
Ok so the connection from the water pump to the radiator basically gets opened up wider? How did you accomplish this? (pics?)

I am guessing my bigass aluminum PWR radiator would be well enough suited to having a bigger outlet welded on?
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album