Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-08-2012, 09:57 AM

Registered SVX
ECUTunes TCU chip, is it the proper one in my car (4.44 swapped)?

First off, happy Easter guys and gals Hope it is a good one :thumbsup:

Now, on to the question: When I bought my car I was told it has a 4.44 trans swap in it (confirmed by svxfiles as well). I was also told that it has the ECUTunes TCU. So I did some digging into the TCU today when I pulled the ECU down for the memory adapter install (didnt finish, another story entirely, pins on the adapter are too big for the socket). It does indeed have a TCU chip in the rom socket from Michael.

The chip in the rom socket of the TCU is marked as "OEM rev limit, 212 degree overheat" and the top cover is sharpie marked as "ECUTunes 6500 rpm". Is this the correct rom for the 4.44 tranny swap? I would like to know so I can order the updated rom for the 4.44 if necessary.

Thanks all!

-Brian
Old 04-08-2012, 05:33 PM

Registered SVX
Re: ECUTunes TCU chip, is it the proper one in my car (4.44 swapped)?

Bump. Any ideas at all?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:40 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

If the person who owned the car before was a forum member, you could try searching for posts by them to see if they discussed it on the forum. You could also ask LAN, he might remember or have some kind of record, or could let you know if it would be marked on it that it's for a 4.44.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 04-08-2012, 05:42 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

I would send a message to Longassname, or send an email to hello@ecutune.com. There are different versions for the stock vs the 4.44 so it would probably depend on if the chip was purchased before the conversion or not. I think he does label them differently but I am not sure. Also I know he has upgraded the version with in the past year so you may want to get a new one regardless.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-08-2012, 05:48 PM

Registered SVX

I own PaladinWKH's (Will Heller) old car. I know he is still a member here, but I can't seem to get in touch with him (tried calling him as well). It seems to me that if the 4.44 tcu chip was upgraded in the past year, then I probably don't have it. I don't know when this 4.44 swap was done, but I imagine its been longer than a year (Tom/svxfiles, wanna chime in here? )
Old 04-09-2012, 09:44 PM

Registered SVX

Thanks for the help guys I emailed Michael at ECUtunes and he narrowed down what the switch went to it seems. It runs to a connector behind the battery on the fender, and he said it sounds like it runs into the tranny resistor to bypass (?) it. For what reason I don't quite know (when I flip it on though, the car smells richer and the idle lopes a bit, but the shifts seem to smooth out). He also said that I don't have the proper chip for the 4.44 swap, so I had him send me one with the adapter socket for the Stage 1av1. Win win everywhere Just can't wait to get everything in now. Pulled the ecu/tcu out the other afternoon and the ecu has the hole and rubber grommet. It only took me about 4 hours to get the damn thing out (first time here...)) Also made the executive decision to leave the top 2 nuts off when I put it back in, and that the Subie engineers must have been 3 foot pixies with magic dust to get the damn thing in there in the first place

Plus side to all this headache? I spend $300 on a project that I only planned on spending $250 for, but I saved myself $2.50 on an spst switch for said project

Thanks again guys, you really are a great bunch :thumbsup: Can't wait to meet you guys at the meet
Old 04-10-2012, 05:10 AM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

After removing them and installing them a few times I am now a real pro at getting to the bolts, but oddly enough I have a very hard time removing the 3 wiring harness from the ECU.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 04-10-2012, 05:27 AM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabloScoobyru View Post
I own PaladinWKH's (Will Heller) old car. I know he is still a member here, but I can't seem to get in touch with him (tried calling him as well). It seems to me that if the 4.44 tcu chip was upgraded in the past year, then I probably don't have it. I don't know when this 4.44 swap was done, but I imagine its been longer than a year (Tom/svxfiles, wanna chime in here? )
04-03-09
According to my records I installed the chip.
I an not sure what version LAN had out at that time, but I am sure that it was not 4.44 specific.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link

Last edited by svxfiles; 04-10-2012 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Misspelled am.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxfiles View Post
04-03-09
According to my records I installed the chip.
I an not sure what version LAN had out at that time, but I an sure that it was not 4.44 specific.

Thanks Tom