Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2012, 08:51 AM

Registered SVX
Re: 4EAT failure?

This weekend, 24th 25 I can not go, my birthday an my wife has plans. but weekend after that should be no problem.
I think I know the place your talking about out on normandy? never been in there been by there a few times though.
Old 03-20-2012, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huck369 View Post
The 98 Forester would be my pick of the bunch,
$150 + 25 core sounds good to me

I don't see a price for the rear diff, but probably another $50.

You Might be able to get "92 SVX" to come help you pull it....if I had some time off, I'd run down to help out.

(they have a grey 91 XT listed too...)
I was thinking the same thing about the Forester, Huck. One thing I have to keep in mind is the reputation of the place. You and I didn't have any problems, but I see A LOT of negative comments on the place (several of them having to do with sudden price changes, etc.). I can't be sure because the video is blocked here at work (where I should be working), but it looks like they were even on the local news for bad business practices. Still, I think it'd probably be a good idea to check it out and the price would be ideal.

What does a Forester tranny weigh, roughly? Think I could get it up into the back of Maureen's Tribeca? I was thinking I could take a couple of really stout 2x8s and make a ramp, then use my dolly to get it out to the car and up the ramp (and later down the ramp). My dolly is identical to the one in the link but only rated at 600lbs., but I seriously doubt the tranny would weigh more than 300 lbs at most.

'96 LSi, Laguna Blue (retired - soon going to a new home)
'89 XT6 5 speed (Gone but not forgotten)
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

The only one I would get is from the Fozzy. You mentioned something about a bad rear diff? If it is bad you won't be able to just swap the SVX LSD carrier to the Fozzy rear diff, so you would have to also grab an axle from the Fozzy.
Old 03-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I'd take some help, it'll make getting it out, and into the Tribeca much easier....2 people can handle one pretty well, 1 person is asking for trouble.

You need to get to know 92 SVX anyway, since you guys are so close to each other...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-20-2012, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
The only one I would get is from the Fozzy. You mentioned something about a bad rear diff? If it is bad you won't be able to just swap the SVX LSD carrier to the Fozzy rear diff, so you would have to also grab an axle from the Fozzy.

Of course there's that rear end you've got with the 4.44s too, right? So if I bought that from you would that solve my problem with the rear diff, or would I still need the Fozzy axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUCK View Post
I'd take some help, it'll make getting it out, and into the Tribeca much easier....2 people can handle one pretty well, 1 person is asking for trouble.

You need to get to know 92 SVX anyway, since you guys are so close to each other...
Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good idea. I'll take a field trip up there Saturday probably and maybe (depending on what side of town he lives on) I'll see if 92SVX wants to meet up with me. I wouldn't want him spending gas money (these days for sure), and for those of you that don't know Jacksonville is 842 square miles so driving from one side of town to the other can take a long time and use a lot of gas. Then if I see that they've got it, maybe I can hook up w/ him for the help.

Last edited by Austin; 03-20-2012 at 12:18 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Of course there's that rear end you've got with the 4.44s too, right? So if I bought that from you would that solve my problem with the rear diff, or would I still need the Fozzy axle?

Yeah, I'd say that's a pretty good idea. I'll take a field trip up there Saturday probably and maybe (depending on what side of town he lives on) I'll see if 92SVX wants to meet up with me. I wouldn't want him spending gas money (these days for sure), and for those of you that don't know Jacksonville is 842 square miles so driving from one side of town to the other can take a long time and use a lot of gas. Then if I see that they've got it, maybe I can hook up w/ him for the help.
Sounds like a plan!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 03-20-2012, 12:46 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I seriously doubt the tranny would weigh more than 300 lbs at most.
A JDM SVX slushbox is 105kg w/o converter, but with both inner CV's, rear yoke and all fluids still in. Just had it on a scale.

Tapani
Old 03-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92 SVX View Post
This weekend, 24th 25 I can not go, my birthday an my wife has plans. but weekend after that should be no problem.
I think I know the place your talking about out on normandy? never been in there been by there a few times though.
Quote:

if your thinking of this on sat the 24th it wont work for me, but the next weekend works fine. Also I live near kernen and atlantic. southside.
Old 03-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Aus, the diff I offered already has the SVX LSD swapped over into a 4.44 diff. So it will be a direct replacement and will use SVX axles.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:20 PM

Dave,

Have I ever told you just how much I love you?

92SVX,

Yeah, I figured I'd do a recon of the Forester this Saturday (or Sunday), and then determine if it was worth it or not:

a.) does it even have a tranny?
b.) is it a 5 speed or an automatic?

Also Huck's got a light pick list for me. I'm off of US1 @ 295/9A (by the Avenues Mall sort of). Oh, I forgot to answer your other question about where the junkyard is - no, not off Normandy Blvd, but off Hecksher actually... not far from the zoo.

Tapani,

Good information - thanks! 105kg or less is about what I figured (roughly). The only thing I had to guess by was my XT6 4EAT which to me is REALLY heavy and I am able to JUST barely lift it off the ground, so I figure it's about 100-115kg. (I'm only 1.7m tall and not the strongest guy in the world.) I guess it will DEFINITELY be a two man job.

Last edited by Austin; 03-20-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 05:11 PM

Registered SVX

oh, ok, never knew about one up northside I would check the westside yards as well.

I used howells on a few occasions and one thing I talked to them about was price vs location they are cheaper because the location is.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:23 PM

Okay - it was raining Saturday so Sunday I got out there and the '98 Forester definitely has an automatic. Woo-hoo! (I'd rather have a 5 speed conversion but hey, this w/ a 4.44 swap - not too bad!)

I like how they have the cars up on old rims for "jackstands"... I ASSume it's relatively safe, but the fact that they're like knee high off the ground makes it great for getting underneath them! Looks like this'll be "easier" than I thought. They even have wheel barrows you can borrow to get the goods up to the front of the yard, so I won't need my dolly.

Price is $250, but the Fozzy looked like it was in really good shape (except for the wreck damage), so I'm ASSuming the tranny's been reasonably taken care of.

Nate/92SVX, my master mechanic brother-in-law said he can probably come down and help me swap it in, but I'll try to firm that up in the next day or two. Either way, thanks again for being willing to help anyway.

Just when I was starting to really get bummed out about this car, it looks like I may still be part of the community...

...'course I still need to fix my break line leak and probably start saving some cash for the eventual bad wheel bearing troubles. Nonetheless, I'm really looking forward to the 4.44 conversion.

Dave, I'll get with you on payment and shipping. I might need to wait 2 weeks or so - Maureen's company switched to a new payroll system at the beginning of the year and pushed her pay day back 2 weeks and that has caused things to get out of sync somewhat. But I'm definitely your customer on the rear end!

Old 03-26-2012, 03:47 PM

Aus, I'll see if Nate can get the diff down to you. I already told you not to worry about payment. I'm fine waiting till the dragon and you can hand me in cash.

For the junkyard transfer, pull the dipstick to smell the fluid, if it smells burnt, disregard that it is your only local option and keep on looking.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
...pull the dipstick to smell the fluid, if it smells burnt, disregard that it is your only local option and keep on looking
Good to know. I wish I'd thought/known about that when I went there last week, but I'm not too worried about it since the car is obviously there for wreck damage. Otherwise it looked like it was well taken care of, so I'm guessing the tranny was probably okay.

Old 07-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Been a long time since I visited this thread but there's a lot to follow up on here:

a.) Since the Alcyone Dragon meet in mid-June, I picked up Dave's rear diff - THANKS DAVE!!!

b.) My mechanic brother-in-law and his experienced son came down last weekend and basically said, "Hey, lets knock this thing out man!", and boom! Like that, it all took a very quick turn toward getting the car on the road. I had planned on involving 92SVX but this was literally like a less than 24 hour notice thing for me even. These guys are really fast and he brought air tools with him!

c. I was definitely taking a chance ASSuming the fozzy tranny was "well taken care of". Turns out the tranny fluid was a little burnt. Not sure what to expect there, but it has a 1 year warranty, so who knows.

d.) Turned out the Fozzy pan had a 1/2 cm hole in it, but since the SVX pan is the same as the Fozzy pan I plan to just swap them out.

e.) Unfortunately my brother-in-law wasn't down just to fix my car, he was visiting with his family as a vacation thing (this is why I didn't expect this to even happen), so he didn't quite have enough time to complete the job. The good news is it's 2/3 done and all that's left is to get the new tranny put in. He's coming back in 2 weeks to finish up - so hopefully I'll have a running car then.

AAAAAaaaaaanyway...

...that's the latest on this saga.

92SVX and others, I really appreciate all the offers of help, and I'm sorry I couldn't take you up on it as it was VERY sudden. On the plus side, last weekend when we went to pull the tranny out of the junkyard, it was inSANEly hot - about 100°F and a billion % humidity. I passed out from heat exhaustion when we were on our way back to the front of the yard w/ the tranny in a wheel barrow! (Be careful in the heat folks - it snuck up on me VERY quickly!)

This brings me to my actual question:

I'm about to order a tranny filter gasket kit ('98 Fozzy gasket has same part # as '96 SVX). I saw this thread, which seems to end up stating that all SVX tranny pans use a gasket only, but I just wanted to bounce the thread off you knowledgeable folks to be sure.

Last edited by Austin; 07-15-2012 at 11:11 PM.