How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Re: Anyone with rear axle experience ('94 LSi)

I think the Outback axles don't fit in the SVX wheel hub, so you have to use two left SVX axles. Is that right?
Old 03-01-2012, 04:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Tom, to answer your questions. I was able to talk to the technician this afternoon. It does have the center pin and is a non Limited slip didderential. He did try putting the left axle in the right side of the diff but it wouldn't snap in. Would this suggest that something is wrong in the differential itself? The Tech said he looked and it appeared OK but we'll look again tomorrow
Old 03-01-2012, 08:14 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddmd View Post
Tom, to answer your questions. I was able to talk to the technician this afternoon. It does have the center pin and is a non Limited slip didderential. He did try putting the left axle in the right side of the diff but it wouldn't snap in. Would this suggest that something is wrong in the differential itself? The Tech said he looked and it appeared OK but we'll look again tomorrow
Another possability is that the axle you are installing has an extra snap ring on it.
Meaning that there are TWO snap rings trying to occupy the same space, not going to happen.
Another possability is that the single snap ring, already in the splined sleeve is too fat, and therefor not compatable!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 03-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Quote:
I think the Outback axles don't fit in the SVX wheel hub,

Can anyone else confirm this?
Old 03-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Well Tom, that's why this should be taken care of by an expert. The Subaru Technician is a great guy and has been working on my Subarus ('95 Legacy LSi wagon, '96 SVX LSi,
'05 STI, '09 Legacy GT Spec B) for 15 years, but they are trained to fix with OEM parts and are just not practiced in these mods. I do feel a bit stuck. I didn't know the 4.44 mod was in this car (although I kind of like it) and he has been very gracious about spending a fair amount of time on this without charging too much. I would feel funny about yanking this away from him now since he is still willing to work through it. I'm also not sure that I could drive it with the bad axle at this point. I'll let him know about your experience with the snap rings. Hopefully he'll know how to use that info. I also gave him another rear diff from a '98 Outback to try. Anyway, thanks again for the info. I'm off to vacation in warm weather. I'll be back next Friday to hopefully see success.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:25 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

It looks like there were two snap rings on both sides (reason for the failure?). The left one does seem to snap in normally and looks like it's in good shape (he's not sure why it would fit with 2 snap rings either). The right one doesn't snap in nicely and obviously didn't fare so well. We'll try getting them both to fit with a single snap ring if he can remove the one from the sleeve. We also have the additional rear diff to try. Wish us luck.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Well, I've learned a ton with this little project but have decided to change direction. The Left SVX axle with a single stock SVX ring did fit into the Outback differential but the Subaru technician didn't think it fit quite the same as in a SVX differential. That coupled with coming across some incredibly inexpensive stock parts (3.54 rebuilt trans with 1000 miles on it and a brand new in the box LSD) has lead me to return the car to stock. I also like the idea of my son being not so quick off the line and maybe better highway mileage.

Since the 4.44 trans was from a 98 Outback, is the rebuilt transmission
(from a '92 SVX) a direct plug and play with the TCU or do I need to swap that out too?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:06 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well, I've learned a ton with this little project but have decided to change direction. The Left SVX axle with a single stock SVX ring did fit into the Outback differential but the Subaru technician didn't think it fit quite the same as in a SVX differential. That coupled with coming across some incredibly inexpensive stock parts (3.54 rebuilt trans with 1000 miles on it and a brand new in the box LSD) has lead me to return the car to stock. I also like the idea of my son being not so quick off the line and maybe better highway mileage.

Since the 4.44 trans was from a 98 Outback, is the rebuilt transmission
(from a '92 SVX) a direct plug and play with the TCU or do I need to swap that out too?
A direct swap should be no problem.

And where in the hell did you find that nice of a score on the trans and rear?
Old 04-14-2012, 10:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Well, I've learned a ton with this little project but have decided to change direction. The Left SVX axle with a single stock SVX ring did fit into the Outback differential but the Subaru technician didn't think it fit quite the same as in a SVX differential.
You have changed direction - this may not be relevant for you, but maybe someone else....

The SVX left axle stub is shorter than the later Legacy / Outback / Impreza open ones. The snap ring location is about 5-6mm deeper in the L/O/I. Also, as you have noticed, the snap ring stays inside the carrier in the later diffs. This is why you can push the left side in with the snap ring even though there is one inside already. But it will not "snap in".

I do not know what kind of axles are used with the later VLSD diffs... like a 3.0R Outback. Are they the same as SVX or is the left one the same as with the open ones?

Then there's the 22/30 spline axle bar issue on top. And the outer joint issue. Which axles and joints are compatible on which diff - OEM and after market.

We should compile a reference chart for all readily available applications, eh?

Tapani
Old 04-15-2012, 04:19 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thanks for the info, Nate. One more thing. Do the front axles need to be switched out? That is, are they the same for the SVX and "96-"98 Outback. They sure look the same as the ones on my other SVX.
I really did luck out on the parts. Otherwise I would have bought some old, high mileage parts to put it back together. I ran across someone close to my home who had put >$6K in the past year into her 207K '92 SVX, including the trans. Her exhaust system went (or part of it) and was also told she needed brakes, and rotors and was given an estimate of >$5K. She gave up and was going to junk it so I bought the whole car for salvage price. Then I saw a post from a year ago on a Subaru board where someone was selling the in-the-box LSD. I contacted him, he still had it, and was just about to toss it. He was happy to sell it to me for not very much. It really is amazing what is sitting in garages and yards. Just luck on this one.
Old 04-15-2012, 04:34 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Tapani,
Yeah, it was interesting to me that both axles had two rings and were more-or-less wedged into place. Tom had indicated that this wasn't proper installation. When I removed the snap ring from inside the differential on the passenger side, the stock SVX axle with the stock SVX C-ring seemed to me to snap into place. The Subaru tech. thought that it still didn't feel right though. I also had a suspicion that the diff may also be damaged and it wasn't a LSD (where I live, I like to have that-that's one of the reasons I bought the LSi). Anyway, you guys that are experienced with this mod may have been comfortable with the fitment or there may very well be something else I'm missing but, I just felt more comfortable, with my son driving it, going back to stock. Luckily we did well with the replacement parts. Now we just have to get it back together without a hitch.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:24 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Can anyone tell me if the same front SVX axles are used in the Outback 4.44 trans. Do they require any modification?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:42 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Can anyone tell me if the same front SVX axles are used in the Outback 4.44 trans. Do they require any modification?
You use the SVX axles
Old 04-18-2012, 08:45 AM
Designated Asshole

Registered SVX

Tap, I have yet to do my rear axles, as things came up..As soon as I get them, I'll letchu know

Nate, I am constantly being Messaged saying OB axles won't fit the hub...WHat do I tell them to get them off my back?
Old 04-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Thanks again for all of the helpful info. I should finally be able to get this car back together next week. It would have been impossible for me to figure all of this out without the help from people on this board.