Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to nutshell Send a message via MSN to nutshell Send a message via Yahoo to nutshell Send a message via Skype™ to nutshell
Unhappy Where's the transmission ECU located on a RHD?

I am hoping someone will be able to shine a light on this little quandary and tell me where the transmission ECU is located on a RHD SVX.

The gearbox has been progressively getting worse over the past six weeks or so, and is now refusing to be a gearbox at all and appears 'stuck' in first. I've run the transmission ECU diagnostics as recommended, but they come up clean - apparently no electronic problems - even though I can waggle the shift through the quadrants and it makes no difference - nobody home.

To add insult to injury I also believe we may have killed the 4WD clutch pack recently - before this latest calamity it was grinding on slow turns but then went quiet - but we thought "no big deal, when we get a chance we'll remove the clutch from the back of the box and put in a new pack".

Although it is possible this may have added a complexity to the mix, we haven't been able to see why - the 4WD clutch is external to the box, and there are no code errors showing, which you would think there would be if it had fried a sensor as it collapsed.

The vehicle is a Kiwi right-hand-drive '91 JDM and has now done about 335K. The box was totally rebuilt about 100K ago, and the fluid was last changed about 25K ago. The color is fine and there are no leaks.

There's a school of thought believes the Transmission ECU may have finally spat the dummy...because of the lack of coded errors, so I guess it is now a process of elimination.

To make life simpler (?) I have a complete spare vehicle that was given to me. It suffered a radiator failure (or so I believe) and has started to be pillaged for parts. But all the model numbers (engine, transmission) are identical with mine, so I can swap electronics to see if that's where the problem lies, before having to contemplate a mechanical transplant (or something like that).

QUESTION: Please tell me; where is the transmission ECU located on a RHD SVX?

Any other words of wisdom and encouragement are warmly invited; it would surely be a pity to kill the beast out of sheer frustration.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Where's the transmission ECU located on a RHD?

The ECU and TCU are under the dash near the steering shaft. They will be back behind the main relay and fuel pump relay. You can find those by turning the key on and off and listening for the clicking.

You will need to remove the knee panel, you'll need a 10mm wrench. A ratcheting wrench will be a big help.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:55 PM

Re: Where's the transmission ECU located on a RHD?

Ian - I will show you how to remove the knee kick pad area when I come over this morning - it is a PITA especially if you break one of the lower clips (they are impossible to glue back due to tension when clipping back into position).