IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-24-2012, 07:11 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Strut Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren View Post
Hiya Nate, I have been in contact with Bilstein (I use them for motorsport) and also my contact in Japan neither can find any reference to a unit made for the Alcyone.
Where did you get this info or can you get part numbers?
Maybe it's from another JDM model that just happens to fit?

Cheers
Darren
Nothing was confirmed, but IIRC they were "pulled" years ago like so many other "aftermarket" parts that were available in Japan that never even had a chance to hit the western world.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:13 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbarnblatt View Post
I have found this site, Bilstein-Japan distributor?

http://www.ennepetal.co.jp/index.html

Here is a direct link to the page listing the struts for the SVX (the first listing):

http://www.ennepetal.co.jp/01ss/poli...per/page1.html

Here is a blogger installing them.

http://blogsvx.exblog.jp/968078

And a nice shot of them:
Seeing that "blog" was really cool. Nice find!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:26 AM

Registered SVX

That will be priceless info, I can now tell them they DO make them for the JDM market.
The guy I speak to said they keep all tooling so if there was a demand they would always do a batch run.

I have also found out Nipparts in Japan make an OEM unit for both front and rear.

11/94 SVX Alcyone, Mica Black, VL Spec 4WS, 71K Miles, 1 owner from new & was part of a private car collection in Japan.

Nissan R34 Skyline Stagea

91 Lotus Elan SE Turbo

1966 MGB Roadster, Tarten Red, Wire Wheels, Leather, 23K miles from new

You can tell the men from the boys from the speed of their toys.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:04 PM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Update III:

SVX92 is putting together a care package for me including front and rear struts with mounts (top hats).

With these I can verify the cartridge style embedded in the OEM package strut as well as dimensions for the new cartridges.

More to come.

-Mike O
Old 10-26-2012, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I am picking up a set of oem 05 STI struts w/ oem springs, which according to smc can be made to fit with minimal modification.

I know he had coilovers and not oem, but I got them cheap enough to make it a worthwhile experiment.

Will post the results soon...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
I am picking up a set of oem 05 STI struts w/ oem springs, which according to smc can be made to fit with minimal modification.

I know he had coilovers and not oem, but I got them cheap enough to make it a worthwhile experiment.

Will post the results soon...
Just want to make sure that unless you figure out a solution, you will lose the front sway bar attachment points. One solution is to move the attachment point to the control arm, by welding on a bracket to the arm, however due to the geometry, the swaybar action will be reduced.

Also I think that OEM ones might not sit at the right height, and not have the right amount of damping for the weight of the car. Coilovers are adjustable in height and either firmer damping or adjustable, so they will work regardless of the stock setup, once modified to fit. However, I too think it is a worthwhile experiment and will look forward to the results.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 PM
Administrator

I don't it expect it to work 100% immediately, but I can get a set of GC for the STI OEM struts and make it work that way if need be.

Regardless they will be better than my 20 year old struts

I can mill, weld, or otherwise fabricate a bracket for the sway bar, I'm not so worried about that part.

I think this can be made into the most affordable solution, as STi stuff is everywhere, new and used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Just want to make sure that unless you figure out a solution, you will lose the front sway bar attachment points. One solution is to move the attachment point to the control arm, by welding on a bracket to the arm, however due to the geometry, the swaybar action will be reduced.

Also I think that OEM ones might not sit at the right height, and not have the right amount of damping for the weight of the car. Coilovers are adjustable in height and either firmer damping or adjustable, so they will work regardless of the stock setup, once modified to fit. However, I too think it is a worthwhile experiment and will look forward to the results.

Last edited by Stevebsy; 10-26-2012 at 02:42 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 11:01 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevebsy View Post
I don't it expect it to work 100% immediately, but I can get a set of GC for the STI OEM struts and make it work that way if need be.

Regardless they will be better than my 20 year old struts

I can mill, weld, or otherwise fabricate a bracket for the sway bar, I'm not so worried about that part.

I think this can be made into the most affordable solution, as STi stuff is everywhere, new and used.
A definite improvement. I thought about this too but after looking at the OEM struts the modification to accept a replacement cartridge looks easier.

-Mike O
Old 10-29-2012, 01:41 PM
Administrator

I picked up the struts over the weekend. Next week is vacation and I'll be doing the work on this project.

Old 10-31-2012, 12:43 AM
Very Terrific Driver

Registered SVX

Long live DIY.

How about the Aragosta coilover set? Has anyone ever tried it? Let's say price wasn't really an issue.

Is this a SVX specific set or a generic one that needs additional fabrication?
I'm ready to f...
Old 11-07-2012, 07:26 AM
- Bad Wolf -

Registered SVX

The used struts have arrived. At first glance this looks like it will be much easier than first suspected.

-Mike O
Old 11-07-2012, 08:27 AM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by injuhneer View Post
The used struts have arrived. At first glance this looks like it will be much easier than first suspected.

-Mike O
Just found this thread and I am interested in hearing what happens..

That Japanese blog looks interesting and I will have to take a look when at home.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:57 AM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
What about the endlink mounts that 92 SVX has in this thread?
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=58974&page=13

It seems like a very neat and simple solution to mount the front swaybar onto coilovers. You would just have to make sure that the thread pitch and diameter is correct for whichever coilovers you use.
Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)
Old 11-07-2012, 12:48 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdWindows View Post
What about the endlink mounts that 92 SVX has in this thread?
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...=58974&page=13

It seems like a very neat and simple solution to mount the front swaybar onto coilovers. You would just have to make sure that the thread pitch and diameter is correct for whichever coilovers you use.
That is an excellent idea. I'm jealous that I didn't think of that. :P If someone could fab a batch that work with an existing set (or several sets would be even better) of aftermarket STi coilovers, then that could certainly solve that problem.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-07-2012, 09:54 PM
5spd + coilovers = win :D

Registered SVX

Quote:
That is an excellent idea. I'm jealous that I didn't think of that. :P If someone could fab a batch that work with an existing set (or several sets would be even better) of aftermarket STi coilovers, then that could certainly solve that problem.
While searching around earlier today I found that D2 uses the same thing for their Tiburon coilovers, and they also make STI coilovers. If Tiburon end link mounts are the same diamater and thread pitch as the STI coilover shafts, you could simply order just the end mounts from them for all 4 coils.

EDIT:
Did some more Google searches, and found that there are also end link mounts on Honda Fit coilovers as well. This increases my suspicion that (almost) all of D2 coilover shafts are generally the same diameter.

Mods: Power Slot front rotors, polyurethane sway bar bushings, window scratcher fix, SPD hood struts, Outlaw Engineering phenolic spacers, Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar, R-134a conversion, 93 Legacy SS 5 speed swap, Ceika coilovers, ARP head studs

2001 Black Toyota Sequoia (hauler/daily)
1992 Blue Toyota Cressida (drift car)
1992 Red Toyota MR2 (weekend/track day car)

Last edited by EdWindows; 11-07-2012 at 10:05 PM. Reason: update