IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-17-2011, 09:41 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX
Re: car tried to fly

I often feel the same thing as you did

the car generally feels lighter at higher speeds...mine does
and whenever there's a crosswind, i feel it on the steering wheel...feel it hitting

it feels out of control compared to lower speeds but trust me...it's doing fine...if we're talking +120 it might be the bottom panel but anything less than that can't have that great of an effect on the aerodynamics
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 11-17-2011, 11:28 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

I've been reading up on aerodynamics and someone who seemed smart said that aerodynamics begin to matter around 70mph. Someone else claimed lower. With respect to aerodynamics of the machine, from what I read, seems I need to make sure there's plenty of downforce on the front end. A wing up front like the later model Countach had could help- but I'm not going there.

Then I wonder if any of the aftermarket front ground effects are truly effective. Then I get carried away and start thinking about completely covering the underbody in plastic sheeting to ensure that the air moves faster underneath.

It just seems that a car that'll, supposedly, top out at somewhere around 150mph shouldn't feel light at 120mph- which I wasn't quite doing. It should crouch.

Anyone know how the weight balances out? I'd guess the SVX is something like a 70/30 weight balance front to back? Maybe 65/35?

92 snowmachine: It's windy at least 7 months out of the year here and the SVX is the quietest car I've ever seen in the wind. In fact, makes me wonder whether that wind that had something to do with SVX wanting to fly was somewhat higher than 30mph. I can really relate to what you wrote.
Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM
The NEWBIE

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WYOSVX View Post
I've been reading up on aerodynamics and someone who seemed smart said that aerodynamics begin to matter around 70mph. Someone else claimed lower. With respect to aerodynamics of the machine, from what I read, seems I need to make sure there's plenty of downforce on the front end. A wing up front like the later model Countach had could help- but I'm not going there.

Then I wonder if any of the aftermarket front ground effects are truly effective. Then I get carried away and start thinking about completely covering the underbody in plastic sheeting to ensure that the air moves faster underneath.

It just seems that a car that'll, supposedly, top out at somewhere around 150mph shouldn't feel light at 120mph- which I wasn't quite doing. It should crouch.

Anyone know how the weight balances out? I'd guess the SVX is something like a 70/30 weight balance front to back? Maybe 65/35?

92 snowmachine: It's windy at least 7 months out of the year here and the SVX is the quietest car I've ever seen in the wind. In fact, makes me wonder whether that wind that had something to do with SVX wanting to fly was somewhat higher than 30mph. I can really relate to what you wrote.
i didn't say it starts to matter at 120, i said that it'll be able to lift with more than 120
just try to find another svx to see if the underbody matches and that it's not just a feeling on your side....and hand-made aerodynamics can make things worse...just be careful
the weight distribution is about 58/42 (if i remember right)
-Regasketed Engine @140k
-Enkei Raijin 18x8.5, with 255/35/18's @140k
-BC racing Coilovers (From STI's) @142k
Old 11-18-2011, 06:34 PM

Registered SVX

I didn't say you said that I said that you said ...

I won't be messing with homemade aerodynamics. I won't be getting under the car for a bit, either. We got about a foot of snow today. It's been fun! I'm impressed with the Conti DWS Extremes, too.

I did read a bit about how a wing set high in the back (ricer wing) is actually very effective...BUT, like you point out, home-made aerodynamics are tricky and there are too many variables to generalize. They even said the experts figure things out through trial and error.

That's an awesome weight distribution. From what I read, that should be a big help to SVX handling.

Thanks for that.

Anyone know if standard ramps are good with stock ride height?
Old 11-18-2011, 06:41 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

Quote:
Maybe. Best bet if it doesn't work is to get a couple 12" sections of lumber (2x6, 2x8...). Drive up on those, the put the ramps in place.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:57 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
My car has been pushed aside by the wind numerous times at reasonable speeds. The last time was about 4 days ago.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 11-19-2011, 11:44 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
I didn't say you said that I said that you said ...

Thanks for that.

I have a set of metal ramps, with low angle of approach extensions that pivot into place, that I like for all 3 of my cars. Not sure if they're even branded, but very nice to use, although sometimes difficult to get angle correct. Also clumsy/large to store.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 11-20-2011, 06:27 AM
Posting since Dec.'98

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
Maybe. Best bet if it doesn't work is to get a couple 12" sections of lumber (2x6, 2x8...). Drive up on those, the put the ramps in place.
My metal ramps require this approach.They are steep and need a 2x then a thicker patio stone then the ramp.
ART Cryogenic/Slotted Rotors, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, PWR Radiator, Tranny cooler, Stebro, Earthworm's Poly Differential/front & rear swaybar bushings, Koni Inserts and Mychailo SVX Sport Springs all 4 corners, Indigo Blue paint. Liquid Silver Wheels.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:51 AM

Registered SVX

I can get mine up on my standard metal ramps, but have to kick them toward the tire, slightly bending the plastic front lip on the car, the 2" pre lift would be better.
1992 Teal SVX parts car