Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-22-2011, 08:40 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to alia176
Alignment shop can't get the front right camber back into spec

I need the board's help on this one. After replacing all struts, mounts, rubbers, ball joints, tie rod ends, and the rear camber hardware, I had the local Firestone shop align my vehicle. I did not replace the bushings on the front A arms or the rear trailing arms. They are not able to bring the front right camber back into spec and suggested that I get a "camber kit". I don't think such kits exists for this car besides the OEM camber bolts.

Neither of us could find any signs of damage on the lower A arm or the spindle. The car pulls very slightly to the right but other than that, she drives great. I was tempted to make the camber bolt more eccentric by welding and grinding a bead on there. This sounds rather red neck like and I hope to find a better solution, if it exists.

See the attached PDF file for the printout from the alignment computer. Looks like my camber is at -1.7º and the normal range is -1.2º to 0.3º.

The car have not been in a wreck on my watch and no signs of any damage under the vehicle or on the body.
Thanks for any advice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SVX alignment sheets Firestone.pdf (666.0 KB, 250 views)

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 08-22-2011, 09:23 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: Alignment shop can't get the front right camber back into spec

You can get a camber kit to allow for more camber than the stock bolts, we had them on the racer. I believe we got them from Summit??
Old 08-22-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
You can get a camber kit to allow for more camber than the stock bolts, we had them on the racer. I believe we got them from Summit??
Holy cow, no crap? If you can get me a link, that'd be great!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 08-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Registered SVX

EDIT:
Quote:
Wow, they make camber bolts for the front!? Guess I didn't do enough digging.
http://svx-motorsport-accessories.st...ncambolki.html
Too bad camber bolts can't fix my caster issue :/

Last edited by Lookin4SVX; 08-22-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia176 View Post
Holy cow, no crap? If you can get me a link, that'd be great!
http://www.summitracing.com/search/Y...d=camber+bolts
Old 08-23-2011, 06:41 AM

very cool, thanks guys for posting the two links. I see that Ingalls cam bolt from Summit is good for +/- 1 degree. The SPC 81260 from summit is good for +/- 1.75 degrees SWEET.

Anyone have any preference on which one to purchase? I think I'll purchase a camber gauge as well just for S&G!

Cheers.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 11-05-2011, 05:26 PM

well, I finally got around to installing the SPC 81260 camber bolts on the front. I'm comparing the OEM camber bolt vs the 81260 bolts and I don't see how they're going to correct 1.75 degrees! The SPC bolts have lobes that are smaller in diam than the factory camber bolts. I don't think they will work for the front? I'm not installing the SPCs until I get more info on this. Maybe I'm missing something....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6692.JPG (184.6 KB, 219 views)

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E

Last edited by alia176; 11-05-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:43 PM

I personaly would just leave it at -1.7. That isn't that agressive for a street alignment unless you never corner very hard.

While I've never heard of it happening to a SVX, some cars the strut towers will bend into the center of the car some over time. This creates extra negative camber. My 94 SHO at one point had a minimum of -2.5 in front. great for autoX, not so much on the street. Had the alignment shop push them back out some then "secured" it with a strut tower bar. I never was in a frontal colision, just lots of miles on rough roads slowly pushing it in.

A collision guide from subaru will have the exact distance the strut towers should be apart if you are worried.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:46 PM

The smaller bolt allows for more movement. They should give enough.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
I personaly would just leave it at -1.7. That isn't that agressive for a street alignment unless you never corner very hard.

While I've never heard of it happening to a SVX, some cars the strut towers will bend into the center of the car some over time. This creates extra negative camber. My 94 SHO at one point had a minimum of -2.5 in front. great for autoX, not so much on the street. Had the alignment shop push them back out some then "secured" it with a strut tower bar. I never was in a frontal colision, just lots of miles on rough roads slowly pushing it in.

A collision guide from subaru will have the exact distance the strut towers should be apart if you are worried.
Good info. These struts are brand new so I don't know why they're giving me -1.7 deg. The problem is that the car pulls to the right and that's annoying me.

Quote:
The smaller bolt allows for more movement. They should give enough.
Interesting. The smaller bolt simply spins inside the hole so I'm not understanding how it's going to rotate my strut more. I'm missing something!

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E
Old 11-06-2011, 09:10 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Good info. These struts are brand new so I don't know why they're giving me -1.7 deg. The problem is that the car pulls to the right and that's annoying me.
Struts =! strut towers. The strut towers are the part of the body that the struts bolt to on the top (with the 3 bolts, inside the engine bay). Even with the SVX's relatively strong chassis, I could see them tilting inward just a tad after 20 years. That's one reason I got that strut tower brace that Dayle sells.

Quote:
Interesting. The smaller bolt simply spins inside the hole so I'm not understanding how it's going to rotate my strut more. I'm missing something!
It won't change the strut/knuckle angle on it's own, it will just let you change the angle more, and then hold it where you put it when you bolt it down. The alignment shop should be able to handle it pretty easy.

XT6Wagon is right about -1.7* not being that much, but the insides of your tires will wear a bit quicker than the outside. My wife's lancer wants -1* of camber stock.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-10-2011, 08:11 AM

[QUOTE=icingdeath88;690491It won't change the strut/knuckle angle on it's own, it will just let you change the angle more, and then hold it where you put it when you bolt it down. The alignment shop should be able to handle it pretty easy.

[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're trying to tell me but what I don't get is that the lobes on the aftermarket camber bolts are smaller diameter than the oem bolts. Which means to me that they will not be contacting the ID of the hole they sit in. If the lobes don't make contact with the ID then how in the world are they going to rotate the struts?

Let's use real numbers for illustration. Using a caliper, I found the OD of the SPC 81260 camber bolt diam = 0.536". The OD of the factory camber bolt = 0.635".

I'd have thought that the aftermarket camber bolts would have lobes that are more than 0.635" in order to rotate the strut more than the stock bolts would allow.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E

Last edited by alia176; 11-10-2011 at 08:13 AM.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:59 AM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Dude, don't worry so hard. Just take it to the alignment place and let them figure it out. You're overthinking it. Just watch when the alignment shop does it and I'll bet it makes sense then.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 11-10-2011, 11:45 AM

Think of it like this, if the hole is 1" and the bolt is 1", there is no movement available. If the bolt is 1/2", you can move the strut 1/2" in either direction.
Old 11-10-2011, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by icingdeath88 View Post
Dude, don't worry so hard. Just take it to the alignment place and let them figure it out. You're overthinking it. Just watch when the alignment shop does it and I'll bet it makes sense then.
Yeah, you're right. I'll just have them do it and show it to me.

'92 SVX LSL
'03 4Runner
'96 FZJ80 Landcruiser
'90 Mercedes 300E