Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Proven Engine Enhancements

Old 07-21-2011, 12:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
installing quasi stebro exhaust as i speak!

Pics and the nightmare of a story associated with this ordeal to follow...
Old 07-21-2011, 12:51 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Re: installing quasi stebro exhaust as i speak!

Looking forward to your story. I just installed it on my project car and only had to drill out the holes on the muffler to accept the stock bolts.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:54 PM

No offense but I hate you jk! That jerkoff dan screwed me royally. I wish bolts were my only problem
Old 07-21-2011, 01:11 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

It took me about 800 years to receive my stebro when I ordered it. It was worth the wait, though.
2001 Audi S8
Old 07-21-2011, 01:37 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

All of which is why I just bought a used one. Very good exhaust though.
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-21-2011, 02:15 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm

I received mine relatively quick (I guess) way back during the group buy. The main initial problem I had was there was no gasket to go between the mid pipe and the stock center cat.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:19 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

So there's no, what, garage-cam or anything? No "before" pics? Nothin'? This is a travesty.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:59 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXMAN2001 View Post
That jerkoff dan screwed me royally.
Who is this "Dan" you speak of? Might be good to also post in the buyer beware section as well.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Who is this "Dan" you speak of? Might be good to also post in the buyer beware section as well.
Dan is the guy who we presume runs Stebro. If you do a search, you will find that there are people all over the effin world that are pissed off at him for either taking 6 decades to deliver the exhaust, or not delivering them at all.

The last time around, I bought a whole SVX just to get the stebro off of it. Less hassle. (cheaper, too!) lol

Mike
2001 Audi S8
Old 07-21-2011, 07:08 PM

Registered SVX

But oooooo they do sound really nice .
Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 PM
some sort of nerd. some sort.

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green1995SVX View Post
Dan is the guy who we presume runs Stebro. If you do a search, you will find that there are people all over the effin world that are pissed off at him for either taking 6 decades to deliver the exhaust, or not delivering them at all.

The last time around, I bought a whole SVX just to get the stebro off of it. Less hassle. (cheaper, too!) lol
Yep. Even the lambo guys lol:
http://www.lamborghini-talk.com/vbfo...any-help-8175/
'94 Laguna Blue LSi ~159k.......JDM ultra short-geared 3.900 STi Version 7 6-speed w/ Cobb shortshifter, ECUtune 244,8.1mm/256,9.1mm i/e cams, group N motor mounts, '97 grille, JDM clear corners, Momo JDM Legacy GT steering wheel, apkarian's LED tails, silver STi BBS wheels, PWR radiator, redstuff pads f/r, drilled/slotted rotors, bontragerworks rsb #18, Koni/GC 450f/375r coilovers, Megan Racing adjustable lateral links, KMac c/c plates, Stebro exhaust, ECUtune 1v5, Optima battery in the trunk where it belongs. Turbo project

'97 Ebony LSi ~137k #036.......Power mode mod, JDM clear corners, BBS wheels. AUX/pocket mod

Now a mod "over there" ............Photo album
Old 07-22-2011, 01:14 PM

The below e-mail I submitted to the Canadian BBB documents the chronology of my business dealings with Stebro...

At this point in time, I have left voicemails and e-mails to the sales representative and apparent owner of STEBRO, DAN , to obtain a custom exhaust purchased April 7, 2011 in the amount of $XXXX for my 1992 Subaru SVX.

I contacted Dan at STEBRO on April 3, 2011 inquiring of custom exhaust for my vehicle. Dan was prompt in answering all questions regarding the sale of the exhaust system and the following day e-mailed an invoice outlining the purchase (Please see attached invoice). I was promised a custom exhaust system made specifically for my vehicle. Based upon the invoice and agreed upon price of $XXXX, which included shipping, I over nighted a personal check payable to STEBRO in the amount of $XXXX (Please see attached check). I paid approximately $30.00 to have the check delivered immediately. I used a courier (FedEx) at the request of Dan and paid by check as requested by Dan to help save STEBRO 8 9% on merchant fees (Please see attached e-mail chain). I was promised a delivery of two weeks from April 7th. Following the purchase of my exhaust system, Dan's attentiveness and response to my phone calls and e-mails became less and less prompt to the point of what appears to be complete disregard.

Throughout the course of my ordeal Dan has mislead me to believe I will be receiving my product, promising a delivery date within the week only to see this date come and go. Approximately three deadlines and promised ship dates have come and gone. Dan explained to me that the delay was due to the custom fabrication of the FRONT Pipes (Item 2205) and that the remaining center and rear sections of the exhaust system were not the cause of delay. Finally, on June 2nd I received two pieces of the three piece exhaust system (FRONT PIPES and REAR SECTION). As per STEBRO S website www.stebro.net , the site claims that STEBRO systems are designed to fit into the OEM exhaust system locations . The SVX FRONT PIPES C/W CONVERTER; Item No. 2205 I received are unusable in its current state, this piece needs further custom fabrication to be properly installed on my vehicle. Clearly, not what I ordered and was promised. Although lacking necessary installment hardware, I believe the rear section is salvageable.

I have now left multiple voicemails and e-mail s on Dan s available contact numbers (613-212-8765; 613-212-8762 and 1-888-878-3276) all of which have gone unanswered since June 4th. I have researched other clients of STEBRO and have documented their similar experiences. Some of which have paid and never received their exhaust system. There does not appear to be any way to reach another employee of STEBRO.

I have been more than understanding of the delays and circumstances a business encounters. However, the lack of professionalism afforded me has been unacceptable. I provided Dan the opportunity to resolve this issue by close of business yesterday, Tuesday June 14, 2011, and still have not received a response. I am left with no other recourse than to seek a resolution here. The first option I am seeking is the refund of $XXX relating to the FRONT PIPES and immediate shipment of the Center Exhaust piece. The alternate resolution sought is an entire refund $XXX based upon the delivery of pieces of an exhaust that were not as originally promised and the significant inconvenience of being without my vehicle for the past two months. Again, I was promised the exhaust system within two weeks. While awaiting delivery I completely removed my stock exhaust system. The exhaust system components received have not been installed and are in the same condition as originally shipped, I will gladly ship these components back to STEBRO.

I sent an e-mail to Dan June 13, 2011 explaining my frustration and demanding immediate shipment of the center exhaust piece. I further explained that had I not been contacted by close of business June 14, 2011 I would be filing a complaint with the Canadian Better Business Bureau as well as contacting local authorities and filing a criminal complaint alleging misrepresentation and fraud. I have not heard from Dan at STEBRO since June 4, 2011. I would greatly appreciate your assistance in this matter. If there are questions or concerns, please let me know. Thank you, Chris.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ultimately my complaint regarding STEBRO went unresolved with the Canadian BBB. I quick search on the BBB's website documents at least 19 complaints.

I eventually received the rear section. However none of the parts were made for my application. The stock pre-cat exhaust pipes needed to be cut and welded to the y-pipes provided by STEBRO. The STEBRO y-pipes by themselves were useless as there wasn't a way to mount them to the exhaust manifold.

The rear section was too long and needed to be cut to size to fit. A catalytic converter (as promised by STEBRO) was never provided so there was another cost I incurred to make the application work.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was more than respectful and courteous, even to this day, throughout the entire ordeal. I knew of the problems fellow members experienced with this company and in particular Dan P. From the outset I establish and required very specific demands, all of which Dan promised and assured would be met. He continually gave excuse after excuse. This man is a fraud and is not worth dealing with.

Not to mention Dan P. promised 304 grade piping, I ended up with 409 (or whatever)...the inferior quality.

Overall driving impressions...

First off, huge thanks to Robert of ROBERTS CUSTOM EXHAUST in Stafford, VA. This guy works on award winning show cars and knows his staff. He's fair in price and provides a quality system. This guy had to spend 4 hours custom fabricating everything to make my "custom specific to my svx" exhaust system work.

Having said that, I may be a little less objective in my impressions of overall system giving how much Dan P screwed me over.

First off, the exhaust is loud, although sounds just as that in other STEBRO clips I've seen/heard. However, there isn't that raspy resonance I hear from others...I attribute this to the new catalytic converter installed and Robert's handy work.

SOUND

At idle the exhaust almost unheard..you can still hear the whirr of the H6. However there's a faint bassy lub lub lub similar to a mustang 5.0. Which i actually do enjoy.

However, upon acceleration the exhaust gets noticeably louder. The loudest seems to be between 2 - 3k. While cruising at about 70 - 80 there's a noticeable droning heard from the back of the car.

I understand people have different demands and expectations of their vehicle however for me I use the svx as a weekend cruiser (i used to have dreams of autocrossing, but the reality is I would never do that in this car anyway) do a little bit of spirited driving but at the end of a day enjoy the sound of a quiet car so i can hear my thoughts. I would like a system that is heard when I step on it, but otherwise not all too loud.

There's about 100 miles on the system now and I am not sure if after some time the sound volume will lessen. If not I'll likely have Robert add two catalytic converters to the front pipes.

DRIVING

There is much more response from the car post installation. I will admit the sound is a bit addicting (for short drives), however after a while your ears will be humming.

All in all i would probably enjoy this exhaust system a lot more if I hadn't 1) experienced such a horrible dealing with STEBRO and 2) paid out the ass for a system that could have easily been fabricated by your local meineke shop.

I'll post pics and hopefully a video of the exhaust asap (i know that's the most exciting part)

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 07-22-2011 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 04:57 PM

Registered SVX

What type/brand muffler are you using? Does the system include a resonator? The drone you hear can be controlled very easily without sacrificing the nice aspect of sound and power.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:07 PM

The stebro muffler, probably the only thing thats made by stebro. Honestly I wouldn't doubt if the stebro muffler is a flowmaster muffler with some polished tips welded on

Other than adding precats what else would you suggest to reduce noise?

Last edited by SVXMAN2001; 07-22-2011 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

What a shame. Sounds like they are running the company into the ground.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007