Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-03-2010, 01:40 PM

Time to Rebuild Engine

I am in the process of freshening up my motor and have a few questions.

1)Where is the best (read cheapest) place to buy a gasket set?
2)Does anyone have a machine shop they trust for basic headwork? (I don't mind shipping them off. I am in no hurry)
3)Do I need to do any adjusting to the valve upon reassembly?
4)Are the valve guides the same as the 2.2?
5)Where can I get a new timing belt cover set?

I am sure there will be more, but this is where I am at now. I am amazed at the condition of this motor for 192k miles. Crosshatching is still there, no gunk in the motor, etc. It's just time for new seals and everything made of rubber.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX
Re: Time to Rebuild Engine

what are your plans for the engine? are you rebuilding to stock specs? or are you willing to throw a little money into it to get some higher quality internals.

Cometic makes an awesome head gasket for the EG33 but the rest of the gaskets can be had from a dealer. I can get you any of the parts you need for a reasonable price. ECUTune also supplies a lot of internals for the EG33. It all depends on what you're looking to get out of the car. If you're interested shoot me a PM or give me a call so we can chat about your car.
(801)243-7812
Old 12-03-2010, 05:37 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrote View Post
I am in the process of freshening up my motor and have a few questions.

1)Where is the best (read cheapest) place to buy a gasket set?
2)Does anyone have a machine shop they trust for basic headwork? (I don't mind shipping them off. I am in no hurry)
3)Do I need to do any adjusting to the valve upon reassembly?
4)Are the valve guides the same as the 2.2?
5)Where can I get a new timing belt cover set?

I am sure there will be more, but this is where I am at now. I am amazed at the condition of this motor for 192k miles. Crosshatching is still there, no gunk in the motor, etc. It's just time for new seals and everything made of rubber.
1) A complete reseal kit from subaru is available for <$300.
2) Action Machine Shop in shoreline, WA is where I have all my machine work done. Pricey but very precise and honest shop.
3) The valvetrain is mostly reusable minus any cupped valves, valve stem seals, and collapsed lifters. HVLA's (lifters/tappets/followers) can be rebuild by Mizpah manufacturing ( it). 4 bucks a pop is what I was quoted at last week.
4) Valve guides should not need to be replaced, but I cannot confirm if they are interchangable with the EJ series.
5) Dealer is the best bet for an intact timing cover. They warp due to heat so used ones are often the same condition as what your trying to replace. There are also rubber seals built into a few of the sections of the timing cover...so new is better IMHO.

If you are not going to have mahcine work on the block done then I suggest you stop breaking it down where you are and do not split the case. Good luck with your reseal.

'92 Ls-L Dark Teal
11:1 CR ECUTUNE pistons
ECUTUNE .256 duration intake/exhaust cams
ECUTUNE STAGE 2AV1 ECU
Z32 MAF/SR20DET injectors
Balanced & Blueprinted
Old 12-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Thank you guys for the tips to this point. Just to clarify, I am rebuilding to stock specs, and really am not planning on any major upgrades. This motor is very clean and the bottom end looks like new. Everything made of rubber is toast, so it will need a total reseal, and it smoked on startup when it was running. I did a leakdown test before tearing it apart and had a significant leak in the intake of the #2 cylinder. My plan is to have the heads freshened up and replace all seals/gaskets. I DO NOT plan to split the case. I thought about new rings, but I think I'm even going to forgo that. I will replace all hoses on rebuild, and do a new timing belt and related parts. Any more tips are greatly appreciated.