Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Front differential levels

I was doing a couple of simple things on the car today as it is a lazy rainy day. I cleaned off and de-acidified the battery terminals. I also checked the front differential levels which I hadn't done since the mechanic did all of my fluids a few weeks ago. The car was cold. The fluid was dead nuts at the "F" level of the dipstick. The owner's manual doesn't say if the fluid level should be checked warm or cold so I don't know if this is perfect of if it is overfilled and should be reading "F" when warm after the fluid has expanded. But maybe gear oil doesn't expand enough to matter. Comments?

I also peaked at my motor oil and was pleased to see it looking so good at 2000 miles. It almost looks new!

I can't say the same about my coolant. It looks like some of the Subaru juice worked its way in there. Has anyone else used the Subaru additive and have you noticed the same thing? Speaking of coolant, I am surprised there weren't more comments on the other thread where I reviewed my findings. It was surprising to find out that the Subaru green is NOT the same as the aftermarket green.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 10-26-2010, 05:36 AM

Re: Front differential levels

I don't believe slight over-filling could hurt the front differential. The lube would just expand up the filler tube when hot.

dcb
Old 10-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Re: Front differential levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarrb View Post
I don't believe slight over-filling could hurt the front differential. The lube would just expand up the filler tube when hot.

dcb
I was thinking the same thing. Thanks for responding!

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything