Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 AM

Registered SVX
No Rear Wheel Drive

I noticed last winter on slippery snow, that I had nothing coming from the rear wheels. I'm finally getting ready to do something about it. What kind of parts should I buy for my mechanic? (solenoid-C, clutch packs, gaskets, etc.). I did some looking on the Subaru-parts site to try and find part numbers, and it's not very obvious what to get.

Its a '92 LS-L with 179,000 miles, 144,000 on this transmission.
Old 09-16-2010, 01:08 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX
Re: No Rear Wheel Drive

Replacement transmission? With the amount of work it would be to figure out what exactly is wrong, you could probably just buy one with less miles and have it swapped.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-16-2010, 04:17 PM

Registered SVX

http://www.ecutune.com/4eat.htm

Anybody have experience with the partial re-builds? How much labor would you guess for the swap?
Old 09-16-2010, 06:45 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlutz View Post
I noticed last winter on slippery snow, that I had nothing coming from the rear wheels. I'm finally getting ready to do something about it. What kind of parts should I buy for my mechanic? (solenoid-C, clutch packs, gaskets, etc.). I did some looking on the Subaru-parts site to try and find part numbers, and it's not very obvious what to get.

The FWD fuse is not installed?
http://www.ClassicSoftTrim.com http://ToyoTires.com/tire/pattern/versado-lx Gillman Subaru of Houston
"QuickChange" http://www.TransGo.com/ http://www.PlanetSVX.com Bontrager Works,

'92 Subaru SVX LS-L Claret ORIGINAL OWNER
'92 LS-L Pearl~ '92 LS Pearl~ '92 LS-L Teal~ '92 LS-L Silver~ '95 LSi Polo~
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Pearl~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54143
'92 JDM Alcyone SVX Version-L 4WS Ebony~ http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=54117
Old 09-16-2010, 07:58 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Replace the transmission because the RWD is not working
Why in the world would you do that?
The RWD in my Ebony wasn't working simply because the right rear axle clip was missing and when it popped out, no more rear drive.
Solenoid C is a likely candidate but do some digging before you start throwing money at it.
Old 09-16-2010, 10:32 PM
1995 Subaru SVX LSi Polo Green

Send a message via ICQ to Manarius Send a message via AIM to Manarius Send a message via MSN to Manarius Send a message via Yahoo to Manarius Send a message via Skype™ to Manarius
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedForSpeed View Post
The FWD fuse is not installed?
That would be the first thing I check. And the associated bits too; is it throwing a code, is the fuse installed, is the resistor working, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacky View Post
Replace the transmission because the RWD is not working
Why in the world would you do that?
The RWD in my Ebony wasn't working simply because the right rear axle clip was missing and when it popped out, no more rear drive.
Solenoid C is a likely candidate but do some digging before you start throwing money at it.
The transmission has 144k on it. Assuming it's solenoid C, $100 for the part, $600 for the labor (maybe less if you have a creative person who can replace it without taking off the transmission) and you still have $700 sunk in it.

Lower mileage transmission for $400-500 and $300-$400 for the swap and you now have a lower mileage transmission and a working solenoid C/clutch packs/whatever. If you're not doing the work yourself or aren't getting it cheap, there's no sense in trying to dig around to buy parts and getting them replaced in an aging transmission. Even more so since it's a 1992 with that stupid screen thing.
(8/23/07-Present) 1995 Subaru SVX LSi (197k) Polo Green (#1102) 03/95
Mods: DDM Tuning 4500k 35w Low Beam HID, 100w H3 Bulbs, Extra Ground Cables, 15 minute $12.96 mod,
svxfiles designed transmission mount (), sporting a "new" tail light bar,
silver BBS rims, custom power steering cooler (one that doesn't dump ATF constantly), new negative lead cable, no more third or fourth gear
(1977-Present) 1977 Chevrolet Corvette (81k) Silver
(12/01/2011-Present) 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT (97k)
I have a bad feeling about this.
-Obi Wan Kenobi
Old 09-17-2010, 12:42 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manarius View Post
That would be the first thing I check. And the associated bits too; is it throwing a code, is the fuse installed, is the resistor working, etc.

The transmission has 144k on it. Assuming it's solenoid C, $100 for the part, $600 for the labor (maybe less if you have a creative person who can replace it without taking off the transmission) and you still have $700 sunk in it.

Lower mileage transmission for $400-500 and $300-$400 for the swap and you now have a lower mileage transmission and a working solenoid C/clutch packs/whatever. If you're not doing the work yourself or aren't getting it cheap, there's no sense in trying to dig around to buy parts and getting them replaced in an aging transmission. Even more so since it's a 1992 with that stupid screen thing.
The transmission doesn't have to be dropped for a transfer clutch or Sol "C" replacement. Remove exhaust, remove driveshaft, unbolt about 10 or 12, 12mm bolts and you have the back of the transmission apart and access to both parts. Also, lower mileage doesn't always mean better. If he's taken great care of the transmission, it could be in as good or better as most 50k mile transmissions.

Like Needforspeed said, The front wheel drive fuse is not installed is it? make sure of this.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:25 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
The transmission doesn't have to be dropped for a transfer clutch or Sol "C" replacement. Remove exhaust, remove driveshaft, unbolt about 10 or 12, 12mm bolts and you have the back of the transmission apart and access to both parts. Also, lower mileage doesn't always mean better. If he's taken great care of the transmission, it could be in as good or better as most 50k mile transmissions.

Like Needforspeed said, The front wheel drive fuse is not installed is it? make sure of this.
No fuse, no codes. Transmission had 57k miles on it when I bought the car six years ago. I went to Mobil 1 ATF and swapped the screen filter right away. Since then I've changed the fluid twice, and the screen once (it was clean).

Where are the rear axle clips? What do they look like?
Old 09-17-2010, 09:08 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
No fuse, no codes. Transmission had 57k miles on it when I bought the car six years ago. I went to Mobil 1 ATF and swapped the screen filter right away. Since then I've changed the fluid twice, and the screen once (it was clean).

No rear axle clips, the rear axles won't need to be touched to replace either. If its not throwing a transmission code, then its more likely that the transfer clutch is shot or working intermittently rather than the C solenoid not working. I believe the C solenoid should buzz with the key turned forward to on but not yet started (my memory is a bit fuzzy on this though).

Either way, if its either of those 2 things, first the exhaust and heat shields have to come off, then there are 4 12mm bolts/nuts that connect the driveshaft to the rear differential. You will need to remove 2 and then spin the rear tires so the driveshaft turns until you have access to the other 2. Then there are 2 bolts that secure the driveshaft center bearing to the underbody that are 14mm if I remember correctly. This will allow you to pull the driveshaft out of the transmission. (trans fluid will come out even if you have already drained the pan) Then remove all of the tailhousing bolts (12 mm I think)-you may have to loosen the transmission crossmember from the underbody to access all of the bolts that are on the tailhousing of the transmission. You will probably need to carefully use a screw driver to tap and separate the tailhousing which will give you access to remove the C solenoid from inside(bolted to the tailhousing using 10 or 12mm bolts) so you can take the tailhousing out completely and set it down. Now you have access to the transfer clutch and all associated parts.

Hope this makes sense. If you are truly thinking of doing this yourself, I'm sure I or someone could get some pics and post them up for you, at least of what everything looks like under the car. I can get some pics from transmissions i have laying around showing how the C solenoid is mounted in there and what the transfer clutch looks like, etc if needed...
Old 09-17-2010, 10:25 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
No rear axle clips, the rear axles won't need to be touched to replace either. If its not throwing a transmission code, then its more likely that the transfer clutch is shot or working intermittently rather than the C solenoid not working. I believe the C solenoid should buzz with the key turned forward to on but not yet started (my memory is a bit fuzzy on this though).

Either way, if its either of those 2 things, first the exhaust and heat shields have to come off, then there are 4 12mm bolts/nuts that connect the driveshaft to the rear differential. You will need to remove 2 and then spin the rear tires so the driveshaft turns until you have access to the other 2. Then there are 2 bolts that secure the driveshaft center bearing to the underbody that are 14mm if I remember correctly. This will allow you to pull the driveshaft out of the transmission. (trans fluid will come out even if you have already drained the pan) Then remove all of the tailhousing bolts (12 mm I think)-you may have to loosen the transmission crossmember from the underbody to access all of the bolts that are on the tailhousing of the transmission. You will probably need to carefully use a screw driver to tap and separate the tailhousing which will give you access to remove the C solenoid from inside(bolted to the tailhousing using 10 or 12mm bolts) so you can take the tailhousing out completely and set it down. Now you have access to the transfer clutch and all associated parts.

Hope this makes sense. If you are truly thinking of doing this yourself, I'm sure I or someone could get some pics and post them up for you, at least of what everything looks like under the car. I can get some pics from transmissions i have laying around showing how the C solenoid is mounted in there and what the transfer clutch looks like, etc if needed...
I was thinking the transfer clutch was shot, but at 144K mies, I wonder if a partial rebuild is a better option than just replacing the clutch pack. I don't want to do it myself (my level of mechanic'ing ends at replacing all the hoses & vacuum lines 2 years ago, or replacing valve cover gaskets this year) simple stuff...
Old 09-17-2010, 12:24 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
I was thinking the transfer clutch was shot, but at 144K mies, I wonder if a partial rebuild is a better option than just replacing the clutch pack. I don't want to do it myself (my level of mechanic'ing ends at replacing all the hoses & vacuum lines 2 years ago, or replacing valve cover gaskets this year) simple stuff...
LAN's partial rebuilds do not include replacing the transfer clutches, so that would be extra if that's who/what you were thinking. As long as the 2-3 shift is solid and it holds 4th gear without slipping, your transmission should still be good for awhile.
Having a shop replace the transfer clutch should only cost the parts and about 3-4 hours of labor or less for most shops. (if they know what they're doing)
Old 09-17-2010, 03:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
LAN's partial rebuilds do not include replacing the transfer clutches, so that would be extra if that's who/what you were thinking. As long as the 2-3 shift is solid and it holds 4th gear without slipping, your transmission should still be good for awhile.
Having a shop replace the transfer clutch should only cost the parts and about 3-4 hours of labor or less for most shops. (if they know what they're doing)
Thanks! That's a big help. I think it'd be worthwhile to buy the transfer clutches and turn my mechanic loose on it. Now if I can just figure out what part number is what...

Looks like I need:

6 31588AA060 Pt070399 Transfer Pl
6 31589AA041 Pt070399 Transfer Pl

Should I put in a new solenoid "C" at the same time? Anybody got a part number?

Last edited by rlutz; 09-17-2010 at 04:19 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:42 PM
51 Club

Registered SVX

Quote:
The circlip is on the inboard end of the axle inside the rear diff. If the axle is popping out you can see by looking at it that it is not seated in the same position as the other one.
It's probably a rare issue but it was the only problem with my rear drive.
Old 09-29-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:

If solenoid c fails it fails in awd meaning you wood have rwd sounds like clutches to me.
Good luck

1993 Ford Probe 30mpg 213k
1989 Subaru XT6 150k
All good and running