SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX
Well, I got to use my new code reader today :(

It threw an O2 sensor code. Not sure if it is related but I noticed that the car was sluggish for a brief period after going through a brushless car wash this morning. Here is the data from my new Innova 3130:

Stored:
P0133 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

Pending:
P0133 O2 Circuit Slow Response (Bank 1, Sensor 1)

MIL ON
Misfire Monitoring Complete
Fuel System Monitoring Complete
Comprehensive Component Monitoring Complete
Catalyst Monitoring Complete
Heated Catalyst Monitoring Not Supported
Evaporative System Monitoring Not Supported
Secondary Air System Monitoring Not Supported
A/C System Refrigerant Monitoring Not Supported
Oxygen Sensor Monitoring Not Complete
Oxygen Sensor Heater Monitoring Not Complete
EGR System Monitor Not Complete

DTC for which Freeze Frame was Stored P0133
Fuel System 1 Status Closed Loop
Fuel System 2 Status Closed Loop
Calculated LOAD Value 10.20 %
Engine Coolant Temp 90 °C (194F)
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 -2.34 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 1 9.38 %
Short Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 -0.78 %
Long Term Fuel Trim - Bank 2 3.91 %
Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure 45 kPa (6.527 psi)
Engine RPM 1800 rpm
Vehicle Speed Sensor 54 km/h (33.55 MPH)

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 09-13-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:57 PM

Re: Well, I got to use my new code reader today :(

check your "head gasket"

Keith
Old 09-13-2010, 02:07 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
check your "head gasket"

Keith
Are you busting my balls or are you serious?

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
Old 09-13-2010, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
Are you busting my balls or are you serious?
serious

Keith
Old 09-13-2010, 04:53 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
serious

Keith
What has led you to this assumption??

That code is for the R/S 02 sensor. I would check to see if the sensor was ever replaced... If not, a new one will only help any further troubleshooting

Tom
Old 09-13-2010, 05:07 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

That code is for the R/S 02 sensor. I would check to see if the sensor was ever replaced... If not, a new one will only help any further troubleshooting

Tom
I think he is busting my balls.

I know one of the O2 sensors was replaced in April but I have don't know which one. Maybe I can try to track down the dealer that did the work for the last owner and see if they have records that detailed.

One thing that is gnawing at me on this is the fact that the issue suddenly appeared after I went through a high pressure touchless car wash.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:09 PM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
I think he is busting my balls.

I know one of the O2 sensors was replaced in April but I have don't know which one. Maybe I can try to track down the dealer that did the work for the last owner and see if they have records that detailed.

One thing that is gnawing at me on this is the fact that the issue suddenly appeared after I went through a high pressure touchless car wash.
It is a performance code and not a circuit fault. Unless there is high resistance in some of the signal wires sending false information, it is likely isolated at the sensor. Take a peak at the 14mpg thread that is active now, I posted a description of what can cause reoccuring 02 sensor codes even after the sensor has been replaced.

Tom
Old 09-13-2010, 07:03 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
It is a performance code and not a circuit fault. Unless there is high resistance in some of the signal wires sending false information, it is likely isolated at the sensor. Take a peak at the 14mpg thread that is active now, I posted a description of what can cause reoccuring 02 sensor codes even after the sensor has been replaced.

Tom
I did read that. How do my fuel trim numbers look?

Old 09-13-2010, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Tom
Hide and watch Tom! This thing has been going in for months! To just keep changing the parts people "wish it was" seldom works. That is the way mechanics always do it!
Time will tell, but how much time?

Keith
Old 09-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Hide and watch Tom! This thing has been going in for months! To just keep changing the parts people "wish it was" seldom works. That is the way mechanics always do it!
Time will tell, but how much time?

Keith
Explain to me why this guy hasn't been banned while someone like Trevor was? He has been hoping for me to have a dead head gasket since I came to this forum. The temp gauge is stable Keith. It was low because the temp sender was bad. You were wrong. If you wait long enough the car will certainly need a head gasket but we will also both eventually die of cancer, if something else doesn't get us first. But that doesn't mean you weren't wrong. You were, period. But you keep hoping for my head gasket to blow soon so you can be proven "right". That's called ego. If you are still hanging on to that, at your age, you will most certainly die a miserable man. I get the impression you come to forums like this to spread misery so you will have company. Other people here call you an idiot. Although I have never seen you provide useful information or help, I don't think that is the case. It is more likely you are an angry bitter man and I pity you.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Explain to me why this guy hasn't been banned while someone like Trevor was? He has been hoping for me to have a dead head gasket since I came to this forum. The temp gauge is stable Keith. It was low because the temp sender was bad. You were wrong. If you wait long enough the car will certainly need a head gasket but we will also both eventually die of cancer, if something else doesn't get us first. But that doesn't mean you weren't wrong. You were, period. But you keep hoping for my head gasket to blow soon so you can be proven "right". That's called ego. If you are still hanging on to that, at your age, you will most certainly die a miserable man. I get the impression you come to forums like this to spread misery so you will have company. Other people here call you an idiot. Although I have never seen you provide useful information or help, I don't think that is the case. It is more likely you are an angry bitter man and I pity you.
Gee, you have been a busy little man since you joined. Obviously you have taken the time to carefully analyze ever one of my responses and then took the additional time to check with all other members to see if there was a possibility that I helped anyone. Thanks for not calling me an idiot. The people that did that are both gone, and I would seriously miss you.

As far as "wrong" I can't be sure but I don't think that I would mind that at all. Trying to help others is not about wrong.

As far as angry bitter, I am among the happiest people on the face of the earth. I love people and I love to study them.

I have a great sense of humor. When just about anything makes them come unglued, I even enjoy that. When they are successful, I enjoy that. I have spent my life developing people, building their confidence and encouraging them. I really have a ball on this site! I learn a lot about people as well as the SVX.

Your crystal ball must have broken, because with the exception of my wife, no one reads my mind.

Your "He has been hoping for me to have a dead head gasket since I came to this forum. " is not true at all and there is nothing that you could call me or say about me that would make me wish anything bad for you. I do not do that.

Thanks for putting in my Quote, but if you analyze it a bit more carefully, you will probably notice that I addressed Tom in response to his post, not you.

Good luck with your car and, even though it still isn't fixed, with all the things you "changed", I am sure everyone is anxious to here the solution... when you have it worked out!

Keith
Old 09-13-2010, 09:37 PM
Maniac modifier

Keith, the code has nothing to do with a HG failure and your response and trolling for this thread have done nothing but provoke a fight. Stop it.

You can see the trim numbers for bank #1 are high but less than 10% which is not all bad. Try to track down the service records for which sensor was replaced

Tom
Old 09-13-2010, 09:43 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Gee, you have been a busy little man since you joined. Obviously you have taken the time to carefully analyze ever one of my responses and then took the additional time to check with all other members to see if there was a possibility that I helped anyone. Thanks for not calling me an idiot. The people that did that are both gone, and I would seriously miss you.
Since I have been on this forum I have not seen you provide a single piece of useful information or advice. Maybe you were helpful in the past, before your fall.

Quote:
As far as "wrong" I can't be sure but I don't think that I would mind that at all. Trying to help others is not about wrong.
But it is for you, even if you lack the self-awareness to see it.

Quote:
As far as angry bitter, I am among the happiest people on the face of the earth. I love people and I love to study them.

I have a great sense of humor. When just about anything makes them come unglued, I even enjoy that. When they are successful, I enjoy that. I have spent my life developing people, building their confidence and encouraging them. I really have a ball on this site! I learn a lot about people as well as the SVX.
Oh yeah, a happy person will always enjoy watching people become unglued. There is another word for that type of person.

Quote:
Your crystal ball must have broken, because with the exception of my wife, no one reads my mind.

Your "He has been hoping for me to have a dead head gasket since I came to this forum. " is not true at all and there is nothing that you could call me or say about me that would make me wish anything bad for you. I do not do that.
Yeah, you do.

Quote:
Thanks for putting in my Quote, but if you analyze it a bit more carefully, you will probably notice that I addressed Tom in response to his post, not you.
Point? Your public discussion involved me so I commented about. You have a problem with that?

Quote:
Good luck with your car and, even though it still isn't fixed, with all the things you "changed", I am sure everyone is anxious to here the solution... when you have it worked out!
Unfortunately, there hasn't been one single issue. You see, if there are two issues then two things will need to be "changed" to fix them. Three issues would require three changes. Ten issues will require ten changes. Apparently you think a head gasket problem can cause power steering fluid leaks, freon leaks and temperature gauges to read too low. Guess what Keith, the temp gauge is now reading normally and stuck in its dead zone once it comes up to temperature. If the head gasket blows tomorrow, it will certainly rise. But you will still have been wrong. The head gasket was not blown and was not causing a temp gauge to read too low. If my radio doesn't turn on tomorrow, I'll be sure to get a head gasket tester.

Don't bother replying, I am putting you on ignore immediately. I won't be missing anything.

Old 09-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

Quote:
Keith, the code has nothing to do with a HG failure and your response and trolling for this thread have done nothing but provoke a fight. Stop it.

You can see the trim numbers for bank #1 are high but less than 10% which is not all bad. Try to track down the service records for which sensor was replaced

Tom
Will do, thanks Tom. So 10% is the cutoff for acceptable trim numbers? When the numbers are positive, does that mean extra fuel or extra air? And what is the difference between the long term and short term numbers in terms of what they represent and how they are used by the ECU to set the actual trim?

Last edited by Huskymaniac; 09-14-2010 at 09:05 AM.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

I have been unable to determine which O2 sensor had been replaced previously. I cleared the code a couple of days ago and it hasn't come back yet. Bases on the car wash coincidence, I am wondering if I should just clean the contacts on the sensor and see what happens. Could have been just a fluke or a dirty connector.