IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

View Poll Results: Do you think the SVX takes after the Impreza or the Legacy
Impreza 0 0%
Legacy 20 100.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-09-2010, 04:33 PM

Re: more like a legacy or impreza?

Is the Z32 chassis that narrow in the front? I would think it would be somewhat wide, to accommodate the twin turbo setup that some of them had... but maybe not quite enough for a boxer.

I think the engine cross-member is further forward on the Z32, as well, with a rearward engine oil sump.

Plus the manual gearbox, clutch, and starter configuration is probably WAY out of line, compatibility wise...

Maybe if one could tube-frame the front end of the Z32, and figure out how to mate the gearbox to the engine...

Hacking the SVX chassis rails and cross-member would probably not meet the Z's front axle line.

It would probably be easier to coax 300hp, and continue to work on the VG30DE non-turbo, or swap in a VH45 Infiniti V8 from the Q45... which some people have done, but the intake doesn't quite fit under the Z's lower hood. The VG has a very flat, double-cross intake manifold with two throttle bodies.

Probably also easier to buy a lift, and deal with the tight clearances on the VG30DETT twin turbo, or converting a 2+2 to a Twin Turbo.

These discussions about cutting, chopping and re-building always make me wish that auto-makers like Subaru would just get it right in the first-place, or keep building and improving cars like SVX. It is much easier to buy cars, and do bolt-ons, than chopping things up, and trying to make them fit elsewhere.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 06-09-2010 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-09-2010, 04:59 PM

Well the SVX is on the Z32 chassis, but they had to modify the car from the firewall forward for the extra engine width. I forgot the wheelbase was changed with the suspension changes, but it looks like it would be easy enough to make it work since there is less than 1" difference between them. Certainly if you make it RWD only you could make the wheelbase nearly anything since there is plenty of room to move the engine back once you don't need axles to the front wheels.

Anyway, I should try to find a 300zx repair manual to get better dimentions to compare.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:02 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatGSR View Post
well since the svx came before the impreza its kinda hard for it to take after it isnt it?
LOLZ
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 06-09-2010, 08:37 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelfy View Post
worst poll ever?
+123456789