How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 09:29 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX
Re: Pictures, New paint, New color!

Video is an idea....let me work on that today. I can pull the SVX out of the garage and film the panels against it in the light, and then back in the garage under halogen lights. Hopefully it will come out well. I'll post and we'll see.

Ray
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:08 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Send a message via AIM to halistan Send a message via MSN to halistan Send a message via Yahoo to halistan
Registered SVX

Ok, I've tried taking some photos in the hopes that they would come out better than the video did, but I don't really think so. I took a first set of pictures outside and put the paint panels on the hood of my Barcelona Red SVX. Then the next set here are inside the garage. I used the flash inside the garage to try and get a little more of the shading to come out. Without the flash you couldn't hardly see any difference in the colors at all.

Please see the pics I have attached....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01. Lighter_Bluer_Clearer_Standard_Back_sides.jpg (603.8 KB, 293 views)
File Type: jpg 02. Lighter_Bluer_Clearer_Standard_Front_sides.jpg (743.9 KB, 291 views)
File Type: jpg 03. Lighter_in_sunlight.jpg (749.7 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg 04. Bluerr_in_sunlight.jpg (554.7 KB, 273 views)
File Type: jpg 05. Clearer_in_sunlight.jpg (717.8 KB, 277 views)
All new and improved custom built engine with forged internals, lowered compression, upgraded cams and a stage III supercharger. AMR Engineering struts, Custom exhaust --All 3 Subaru cats removed, and replaced with 2 high flow mustang cats-- Cross-drilled & Slotted rotors, steel braided brake lines, bypassed stock Tranny cooler replaced with aftermarket B&M super-cooler, and a K&N drop in air filter.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:09 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

More pics....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 06. Standardr_in_sunlight.jpg (657.3 KB, 287 views)
File Type: jpg 07. All_four_in_garage_no_flash.jpg (801.5 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg 08. Lighter_in_garage_with_flash.jpg (313.9 KB, 261 views)
File Type: jpg 09. Bluer_in_garage_with_flash.jpg (513.9 KB, 264 views)
File Type: jpg 10. Clearer_in_garage_with_flash.jpg (468.2 KB, 254 views)
Old 10-22-2011, 04:10 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

One more...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11. Standard_in_garage_with_flash.jpg (323.5 KB, 296 views)
Old 10-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

I know these aren't the best photos, i'll see if I can find a scanner and see if that does them any more justice. I don't have one but i'll see if any of my friends do. Until then, this is all I got.

To answer your question from before though, I think the "Cleaner" version is the most ruby looking color among these. The standard is darn close to cleaner...it's almost a toss up between those two. The lighter is basically my Barcelona Red with a little pearl underneath it, and the "bluer" version is almost like a maroon.

Please let me know if anyone has any questions. Thanks
Old 10-22-2011, 04:16 PM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

Crap, I didn't realize how many typos I had in my names. That's what I get for trying to be in a rush about it grr.....by "clearer" i mean "cleaner" by the way
Old 10-23-2011, 07:00 PM

Registered SVX

SVX looks very nice
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 11-01-2011, 02:53 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Talking Re: Paint samples arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
novel of words

The 4 versions are: Standard 947, Cleaner 947, Bluer 947, and Lighter 947.

He's given me all 4 to look at and I spent most of the evening looking at them all in different lights with a friend of mine. We tested direct sunlight, shaded sunlight, halogen light, etc...basically every kind of light you can think of. Here are some observations:

Lighter: This one is the about the same shade as Barcelona Red. Imagine Barcelona Red with a pearl layer in it. It was almost an exact match for my current SVX. I liked it, but compared to the others, it looked a little more orangey.

Standard: This one is a little more red than the "Lighter" shade, which gives it a darker look, but only just slightly

Cleaner: This one is very close to the "Standard" shade but it has more blue in it than red. It also seems to be a tad brighter and more pearl. It's hard to describe, but it is the one that most closely "Ruby" color of that Swiss SVX that I posted before. It seems to be the same ruby red in light and shade and is a very deep color.

Bluer: This is the darkest of the bunch. It's still gorgeous but is obviously the color that the darker Swiss ruby mica SVX's are painted. It's almost a maroon color and is by far the darkest in the shade. It has the same pearl as the rest but is just darker. I believe this is the version used on the Australian SVX's from what we've been able to tell by looking at various pictures from the club.

I wish I could share these with you guys to get your opinions but i'm not sure how to do that. They are so close to each other that i don't think a camera or scanner would do them justice. I will see if i can find a way to post them anyway. If you have any questions, please let me know
Well, first, I'm glad you had a second opinion, second, I'm impressed you could see the shade differences. (being color-blind, for those that don't know).

Now for seriousness, it sounds like the "Standard" or the "Cleaner" versions would be your best bet. I prefer your description of the "Cleaner" best (and I speculate so do you) if you want Swiss Ruby Red and not Barcelona Red. If you just want a slightly dark Barcelona then "Standard" sounds good.

A camera may not capture all their brilliance but will hint at how the car will photograph. Can you post up pictures of these color samples in normal day light (like early afternoon, mid afternoon, and evening). The garage pictures were good but outside, I think, it would allow everyone the best opportunity to examine the color variance throughout the day.

As I notice everyday, Barcelona gets better looking as the day goes on - which that could be said for people.

Exciting times painting your svx!

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram

Last edited by cozykat; 11-01-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:37 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX
Re: Paint samples arrived

Quote:
Originally Posted by cozykat View Post
Well, first, I'm glad you had a second opinion, second, I'm impressed you could see the shade differences. (being color-blind, for those that don't know).

Now for seriousness, it sounds like the "Standard" or the "Cleaner" versions would be your best bet. I prefer your description of the "Cleaner" best (and I speculate so do you) if you want Swiss Ruby Red and not Barcelona Red. If you just want a slightly dark Barcelona then "Standard" sounds good.

A camera may not capture all their brilliance but will hint at how the car will photograph. Can you post up pictures of these color samples in normal day light (like early afternoon, mid afternoon, and evening). The garage pictures were good but outside, I think, it would allow everyone the best opportunity to examine the color variance throughout the day.

As I notice everyday, Barcelona gets better looking as the day goes on - which that could be said for people.

Exciting times painting your svx!
Yes, Marisa, thanks for reminding everyone that I'm colorblind. That's specifically why I got Crissy and Victoria to look at the colors with me. To be honest, while I can see some shades of red, I do have some difficulty with these. I can see the "Bluer" one as it is darker than the rest. In direct sunlight I can also see a difference in the "Lighter" one, but basically they are all about the same. The cleaner and standard are identical to me but the girls prefered the "cleaner" and said that it looked "deeper" than the standard. The "Lighter" one they said was exactly the same as the barcelona just with a slight amount of pearl mica mixed in with it. I like the barcelona red for the reasons you mentioned but after 10 years of that color, I wouldn't mind changing. All these colors have the same affect that the Barcelona has as the sunlight changes, the colors tend to change as well.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:16 AM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

really hard to see, I would still be down for a video even if it's a'bit crappy
Old 11-04-2011, 06:08 AM
Grand Poo-Bah

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subix View Post
really hard to see, I would still be down for a video even if it's a'bit crappy
If you wanna see it, i'll take a couple short clips this weekend. Perhaps if i used a white background it might be a little easier to tell the contrast. I'll play with it some
Old 11-04-2011, 12:11 PM
My Other car is a GENIUS Car!
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by halistan View Post
If you wanna see it, i'll take a couple short clips this weekend. Perhaps if i used a white background it might be a little easier to tell the contrast. I'll play with it some
awesome thanks!