Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Product and Service Reviews > Service Shop Reviews

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 AM

Budfreak Rules

I just want everyone to know that Jason RULES!
I brought my SVX to him kind of in limp mode, he went over the whole car for me, and told me what it needed, then we proceeded. Unfortunately we didn't know the driveshaft was weak, and it broke, cracking the transfer case with it. Jason felt worse about it then I did. He Towed the car back to his shop, and didn't even ask for any reimbursement. Jason & Jessi gave me a warm bed and a meal for the night, then he gave me a ride home (140 miles) and still didn't ask for any reimbursement. I now feel like I'm part of his family after meeting Jessi, Faith, Linda & Marty. They are all good honest people. And of course Jason is a top notch mechanic, and knows the SVX's inside and out. You folks treaded me right, and now have a customer for life, and a friend forever.

As for this forum, how you could have banned him is a mystery to me, especially after reading the posts of a few fanatics you didn't ban. Its not like there is a SVX mechanic in every city or even every state. I feel you have done the forums here a disservice.

Last edited by radad; 01-04-2010 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Budfreak Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by radad View Post
After all Tom's going out of business but Jason still survives, there must be some good reasons for that!

......Gonna get some popcorn and a beer. This is going to be a good one..

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 01-04-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Gonna get some popcorn and a beer. This is going to be a good one.

I couldn't have said it better myself, John. This wil be interesting.
2001 Audi S8
Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
I brought my SVX to him kind of in limp mode, he went over the whole car for me, and told me what it needed, then we proceeded. Unfortunately we didn't know the driveshaft was weak, and it broke, cracking the transfer case with it. Jason felt worse about it then I did. He Towed the car back to his shop, and didn't even ask for any reimbursement. Jason & Jessi gave me a warm bed and a meal for the night, then he gave me a ride home (140 miles) and still didn't ask for any reimbursement. I now feel like I'm part of his family after meeting Jessi, Faith, Linda & Marty. They are all good honest people. And of course Jason is a top notch mechanic, and knows the SVX's inside and out. You folks treaded me right, and now have a customer for life, and a friend forever.

As for this forum, how you could have banned him is a mystery to me, especially after reading the posts of a few fanatics you didn't ban. Its not like there is a SVX mechanic in every city or even every state. I feel you have done the forums here a disservice. After all Tom's going out of business but Jason still survives, there must be some good reasons for that!
There are a lot of people here who have great time for Jason, including me. However when the ban was incurred tempers were high here, rules were broken, warnings were ignored, you had to be there.

So I don't really agree with your statement about doing the forums a disservice. If everybody is allowed to carry on like there are no rules, then rules are worse than useless. In fact I happen to think that having two forums is actually better for SVX owners at large.

Plus I would totally endorse your opinion of Jason and Jessi, they are genuine people who will go the extra mile [or 120! ] to take care of SVX people. Tom is closing down probably because there was not the volume of business from SVX people to cover the overheads. Jason is sticking with it. You guys are lucky to have such quality mechanics near you, and they deserve your business and support. Thank you for the write up.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-04-2010, 01:14 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
After all Tom's going out of business but Jason still survives, there must be some good reasons for that!
This statement is so full of fail it is not even funny...
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-04-2010, 01:33 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele

Quote:

As for this forum, how you could have banned him is a mystery to me, especially after reading the posts of a few fanatics you didn't ban. Its not like there is a SVX mechanic in every city or even every state. I feel you have done the forums here a disservice. After all Tom's going out of business but Jason still survives, there must be some good reasons for that!
This statment was not called for. Telling your story about Jason if fine, but please, no personal attacks. There is no positive input from statements like that.

And yes, there was a good reason for a Ban on him as partially mentioned above. It didn't have anything to do with him or his business, just his actions.

I have popcorn too, so I will watch this thread and if it gets out of hand, I will close it.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19

Last edited by ensteele; 01-04-2010 at 01:37 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Gonna get some popcorn and a beer. This is going to be a good one. .
Wow Man I don't want to start no wars here.

And let me be clear if Tom was closer to me I'd have went to him. I'm sure I would be happy with his work too. I ordered a cooler setup and diff. bushings from him, he promptly (without me even having to ask) refunded the bushing money because of no stock. To be honest I considered having Tom do a manual swap for me, but the money just not there for that now. So the 4.44's is my ticket now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
In fact I happen to think that having two forums is actually better for SVX owners at large. Joe
Yea I totally agree that two is better than one.

But barring the contributions of one who contributes so much to the SVX community, and has a genuine passion for what he is doing, don't seem to self serving for this forum to me. Yet your right I wasn't here when it all came down. And I surly haven't read every post made.

I'm a painter for a living, I meet people everyday. I'm in their homes with their family's and belongings. Many people even give me the keys to their home and businesses. They do this because they feel they can trust me. And of course I have earned this trust through a network of customers. After many many moons you learn who you can trust, and who you can't. Sometimes in todays economy to win jobs I have bid real low, or stay home. If I have to I'll do a job for cash, cause my overhead is so high otherwise. When I do this it never diminishes the quality of my work. Its the only way I learned to survive.

I edited my reference to tom before it became misunderstood. Let me state again I have no doubts of the quality of his work, or the faith his customers have in him. I feel bad for YT, I could only imagine his overhead, insurance, lease, equipment etc. no wonder its hard to stay alive in this economy.

Sounds like I'm defending Jason? yep, I like Jason, I trust Jason. He reminds me of myself at his age, young, cocky and oh so sharp. Ok maybe Jason is not no rocket scientist like some here, but a better hands on guy you'll not find anywhere!

Last edited by radad; 01-04-2010 at 02:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:52 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

I could post something kneejerk and irate, but why? There is simply no satisfaction in it. Anyone on here with a brain knows the facts.

I am tired of seeing Tom cut down time and time again. He has and continues to go above and beyond for the Subaru SVX community, and is growing tired and burned out, as am I, of trying to take care of as many people as possible.

There is not one single person, let alone a mechanic, that has spent as much time, effort, and intellect to try and solve EVERYONE's legitimate concerns on this network, as much as Tom Johnson has. I have never met another person in my life so willing to help other people with their cars in such an "above and beyond" way. I am thankful to have known Tom and worked with him for the past two years, although the past twelve months have brought us a lot of hell.

We sacrificed opportunities and experiences to try to bring something to the community. Many future opportunities for development and longevity are gone.

Disrespect of our hard work is is ultimately a disservice to the Subaru SVX owner's community as a whole.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
I could post something kneejerk and irate, but why? There is simply no satisfaction in it. Anyone on here with a brain knows the facts.

I am tired of seeing Tom cut down time and time again. He has and continues to go above and beyond for the Subaru SVX community, and is growing tired and burned out, as am I, of trying to take care of as many people as possible.

There is not one single person, let alone a mechanic, that has spent as much time, effort, and intellect to try and solve EVERYONE's legitimate concerns on this network, as much as Tom Johnson has. I have never met another person in my life so willing to help other people with their cars in such an "above and beyond" way. I am thankful to have known Tom and worked with him for the past two years, although the past twelve months have brought us a lot of hell.

We sacrificed opportunities and experiences to try to bring something to the community. Many future opportunities for development and longevity are gone.

Disrespect of our hard work is is ultimately a disservice to the Subaru SVX owner's community as a whole.

Nicely stated!
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-04-2010, 03:18 PM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele

Quote:
But barring the contributions of one who contributes so much to the SVX community, and has a genuine passion for what he is doing, don't seem to self serving for this forum to me. Yet your right I wasn't here when it all came down. And I surly haven't read every post made.
I guess you should have been here and saw that he was not playing well with others.

Quote:
Sometimes in todays economy to win jobs I have bid real low, or stay home. If I have to I'll do a job for cash, cause my overhead is so high otherwise. When I do this it never diminishes the quality of my work. Its the only way I learned to survive.
I don't want to lecture you, but remember that by going on a cash basis you might be able to survive, but those who do business legally can not compete because of the overhead. I know that with today's rules (thanks to our great leaders in power), it is becoming more difficult as time goes on to stay in business. I will say it again, I am not passing judgement, but bringing up a point.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 01-04-2010, 04:12 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
I guess you should have been here and saw that he was not playing well with others.

I don't want to lecture you, but remember that by going on a cash basis you might be able to survive, but those who do business legally can not compete because of the overhead. I know that with today's rules (thanks to our great leaders in power), it is becoming more difficult as time goes on to stay in business. I will say it again, I am not passing judgement, but bringing up a point.
Well said Earl.

I don't think Radad was actually making an attack on Tom, but the way he made the comment was very wrong. As I took his comment he was trying to emphasise how helpful Jason is, but without the benefit of knowing how much Tom and the guys have done for people in trouble, nor realising that AWD's legitimate overheads made it impossible to compete with back yard businesses.

So yeah, Radad, it's OK to praise Jason on here, nobody minds, but there is absolutely no need for unfair comment to make the point.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 01-04-2010, 04:24 PM

I am glad to hear that people have high respect for mechanical ability around here.

Seems like ire is up over a comment about staying in or out of business. Something that was uncalled for, retracted, and explained. Radad has gone on to complement Tom.

I have seen on the forums in less than a year, that Tom has given a lot of helpful information, and accounts of helping a lot of people, as well as Mike. Their business situation is an unfortunate one, but I think we all know that SVX is getting older and even rarer than it already was, which is not a promising sign for a business that needs to sustain, or even grow.

I am glad to hear that even a former SVX World Network Member has gotten kudos for being a fair and good practitioner.

I wasn't here for the hubub. I can believe it, though. A different member, on another occasion asked me if I was "budfreak" under another name, just as a matter of course, because the other person was leary of dealing with him based on heated exchange here on the forum. I got the distinct impression that this other member would have asked anyone and everyone from this forum for that clarification, just to steer clear of the possibility of dealing with him.

But if I can believe that the negative hearsay is true, I can believe that Radad's positive account is true, as well.

I know that I likely come off differently as text than I would in person, although I try to be consistent.

And pseudo-anonymous anger online can go way beyond what people would likely do face to face, with or without physical altercation. Even the threat of face to face confrontation can kick in a measure of discretion and self limitation, that is all-too-easy to lose behind a keyboard and a screen, where the object of your attack can't see you.

I don't think Radad's initial comment about Tom/AWD was truly meant to be incendiary, but was an un-called-for, and perhaps careless comparison, and I hope this doesn't escalate due to that. People make off-hand inaccurate comments that would better be left unsaid. Everyone does. It didn't seem to rise to the point of a truly pointed attack.

Radad should know that it is a bit sensitive and sore of a point to prod, however.

It sounds like the previous escalation that got Budfreak banned was more than enough of that sort of thing.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:39 PM
Maniac modifier

*dusts shoulders off*

this thread is full of the reasons we are closing. We could stay open... but this just makes my day

Tom
Old 01-04-2010, 05:01 PM
Still Cant' Say the Z-Word

Send a message via AIM to LetItSnow
Registered SVX

/me raises his hand

Motion to move on?
Old 01-04-2010, 06:17 PM

I remember when Jason was sick as a dog, dizzy and throwing up and weak, a can of R134 rupture due to a faulty seal into his eyes, and he still pulled himself to finish the car, then promptly went to the hospital. Now that's a good dedicated guy

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: