How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-12-2002, 01:10 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
In the 498 days I've been keeping track of my SVX mileage I have averaged 23.4MPG (Imperial) or 19.5MPG (US). Most of it is city driving with my worst being 15.2MPG (IMP) and best being 34.5MPG (IMP).
Old 08-12-2002, 06:11 AM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Well, I am a little behind - I have to update it. I will try to get around to it shortly and will post the results.

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
MoreIBNR,

You shame my little calculator but you do not appear to have posted your average figures which would be of considerable interest in view of the length of time you have been keeping records. Please let us have them.
Old 08-12-2002, 06:16 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Hi Gary,

It would be really neet to see a post on your gas mileage spread sheets. How about it?

John
Old 08-12-2002, 07:02 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

I don't mind sharing it, but you will have to be a little patient with me. I am probably about 6 months behind and need to update it. I will let you know when I get it done and we can go from there.

Quote:
Originally posted by svx_commuter
Hi Gary,

It would be really neet to see a post on your gas mileage spread sheets. How about it?

John
Old 08-12-2002, 07:18 PM
alanscouse

Really Poor MPG ( or Ltrs /100KM ) !

Recently I've been getting really poor gas mileage , wonder why ??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 135mph.jpg (105.1 KB, 134 views)
Old 08-13-2002, 05:28 AM

Registered SVX
David,

Your figures are interesting because of the wide variation which you have recorded. It is apparent that driving conditions show wide differences in fuel consuption and cars also appear to vary.

I have been averaging 16.6 MPG(US) at sea level using 96 0ctane fuel and considered this excessive. I thought there couild be an obscure engine fault but a lot off heavy stop start traffic driving is involved over short distances and this appears to be the answer. Even so the SVX is hungry when compared with other cars operated in the same way and having similar power weight ratio. What is more the gearing is tall and 3000 RPM is seldom exceeded in the city even when keeping in 3rd.

It would be a great help if you could let us know the circumstances covering your best and worst figures as this should throw consideable light on the subject. Was a variation in octane rating a factor ?

In NZ we have 91 standard and 96 premium ratings both unleaded. How does this compare with what you use ?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-13-2002, 07:21 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Trevor
David,

Once again, I know the European measure of fuel performance is
different from the USA version which is generally between 87 & 93 octane. These numbers correspond to the higher ones you work with, but I'll leave it the engineers here to do the math.

Ron. (In fact RON is the designation for European fuel performance).

In NZ we have 91 standard and 96 premium ratings both unleaded. How does this compare with what you use ?

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:38 AM
red95svx

96 octane? I was under the impression that the higher the octane, the less potential energy a gallon of gas has. Maybe by using 96 octane you are actually giving yourself worse gas mileage? Anyway, I can have a pretty heavy foot when I drive around town. My lowest gas mileage occurs when I do nothing but drive around town and race from one stoplight to the other. The highest mileage I ever got was coming back from the meet in Indiana. We had stopped in PA for a few days and when we left, we used the A/C for a short time only. The result was something like 28.7 MPG for the 6 hour ride home (70-75 MPH).

I run 91 octane.

David
Old 08-13-2002, 11:41 AM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Here in Winnipeg the only octane selection we have is 87-92. I will fill with 91/92 whever possible.

However, I have just learned of the one and only place here that has 94 octane however it's ethanol blended and the last time I tried ethanol gas (92 octane) my car started stalling at red lights. Coincidence?

I filled up with the 94 octane gas and so far it has been running ok and closer to how it was running when I was in Lafayette.
Old 08-13-2002, 05:18 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Empeegee

Trevor

Here in Ireland, we buy in litres, and my car registers kilometres, being Japanese spec. It is easier for me to do on the spot calc using the European continental format, measuring actual consumption, litres used per 100kms travelled.

Being the age I am, I still think and compare in miles per gallon, that is miles per Imperial gallons[4.5461 litres] To convert, I use a formula, I divide the number 282.4938 by the consumption figure for litres per 100 kilometres calculated to 2 dec places.
This formula is approximate, but gives acceptably accurate mpg conversion figures.

My commute to work is horrendous stop-start, with motorway mixed in, about 50 to 60 miles a day. Over the first year of use, 17,000 miles, I averaged 21.5 mpg. On long [100mile+] direct runs, not hanging about, I get 25 to 28 mpg.

These figures are much worse than the US ones quoted, as our gallons are bigger, should go further. These figures will improve when my tranny is fixed again. For 14 of the 17 months I have driven the car, I have been without fourth gear.

Funny enough, even though these figures are expensive, I am reassured of the engine's efficiency. The worst figure I ever saw was 18 mpg, only about 3mpg off the all-year average. People driving Jaguars[XJ6 type] of similar engine size, can get down to 12 to 15. Thankful for small mercies.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 08-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Beware of trying to compare octane ratings across country borders. Here in the USA, all octane ratings are an average of the motor method and the research method. The research method is always a higher number - by about 5 or 6 points (if I remember correctly). I don't know what is used in other countries. The 96 quoted in Ireland may not be any better than the 93 here in the states if Ireland is using the research method.
Old 08-14-2002, 04:44 AM

Registered SVX
Joe ,

Thanks for your figures and the formula. I too think and compare in MPG even though we have been metric for yonks. My car also ex Japan is all metric but have been converting to US gallons in order to line things up with data posted here.

A reason for my results not comparing too well could be the terrain. The city is all ups and downs as are much of our open roads. However this can make things interesting even if more expensive.

Trevor, *<( Store bought smilies not true blue for me as I have only one working head light.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 08-19-2002, 06:12 AM
Making tires round, Six now :)

Re: Really Poor MPG ( or Ltrs /100KM ) !

Alan,

I like to drive fast also but I am really surprised you were actual able to take a picture while doing it. From the camera angle it was taken from the drives seat. You are the "MAN".

John

Quote:
Originally posted by alanscouse
Recently I've been getting really poor gas mileage , wonder why ??
Old 08-19-2002, 07:43 AM
alanscouse

Driving Really Fast

John : I can't give the details of where or when the photo was taken ( in order to protect the innocent !) , however it was under controlled and legal conditions at the time .

Alan.

> Alan.I like to drive fast also but I am really surprised you were actual able to take a picture while doing it. From the camera angle it was taken from the drives seat. You are the "MAN".

John <

Old 08-19-2002, 05:32 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Re: Driving Really Fast

John - He probably had the car up on jack stands at the time!!! ;-p

[QUOTE]Originally posted by alanscouse
[B]John : I can't give the details of where or when the photo was taken ( in order to protect the innocent !) , however it was under controlled and legal conditions at the time .

Alan.