How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-22-2009, 05:26 PM

New guy with questions regarding possible ownership of SVX

Hey guys,

I am a Mazda guy at heart,and really more of an old school guy as well,but I have recently been thinking about an SVX. I have always loved the looks of the car,but really don't know much about them. I met Tom from All We'll Drive at Import Carlisle this past April,and it sort of planted the seed. The thought of an SVX with a 5-speed really made me think.

Now I have contacted a guy that may be selling a 91 I believe(he said it was the first year) in the Claret color that has a 5-speed in it already,and also has some suspension work done as well. I have yet to see the car,and I know the paint isn't perfect,but the rest of the car sounds solid.

Really what I am concerned about is will this be a smart car to buy to use for fun during the summer months with two kids that are ages 7,and 3? How are these cars to work on? Are they fun cars to drive? Will the rear seat fit kids?

A little background on me. I have owned 1st generation RX-7's for many years,and they are my favorite cars of all time. I own an early production 79 GS(5/78 build date) now,and I am the second owner. It is mostly stock,and in really great shape with factory paint,and everything. I also own a 74 Mazda Rotary engine pickup(REPU),and I love that one as well,but for entirely different reasons. I bought a 78 Datsun 510 coupe back in December for a car that had a rear seat that I could take the kids out in,and while it is a really nice car it isn't what I wanted(I wanted a early 70's mazda rotary coupe),and I am thinking of getting something a bit more modern to replace it with.

Any input on why I should,or shouldn't buy a SVX is appreciated,and welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

79 RX-7 GS
74 REPU
78 Datsun 510
Old 08-22-2009, 06:10 PM
Avalanche Alcyoneer
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: New guy with questions regarding possible ownership of SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdax605 View Post
Hey guys,

I am a Mazda guy at heart,and really more of an old school guy as well,but I have recently been thinking about an SVX. I have always loved the looks of the car,but really don't know much about them. I met Tom from All We'll Drive at Import Carlisle this past April,and it sort of planted the seed. The thought of an SVX with a 5-speed really made me think.

Now I have contacted a guy that may be selling a 91 I believe(he said it was the first year) in the Claret color that has a 5-speed in it already,and also has some suspension work done as well. I have yet to see the car,and I know the paint isn't perfect,but the rest of the car sounds solid.

Really what I am concerned about is will this be a smart car to buy to use for fun during the summer months with two kids that are ages 7,and 3? How are these cars to work on? Are they fun cars to drive? Will the rear seat fit kids?

A little background on me. I have owned 1st generation RX-7's for many years,and they are my favorite cars of all time. I own an early production 79 GS(5/78 build date) now,and I am the second owner. It is mostly stock,and in really great shape with factory paint,and everything. I also own a 74 Mazda Rotary engine pickup(REPU),and I love that one as well,but for entirely different reasons. I bought a 78 Datsun 510 coupe back in December for a car that had a rear seat that I could take the kids out in,and while it is a really nice car it isn't what I wanted(I wanted a early 70's mazda rotary coupe),and I am thinking of getting something a bit more modern to replace it with.

Any input on why I should,or shouldn't buy a SVX is appreciated,and welcome.

Thanks,

Chris

79 RX-7 GS
74 REPU
78 Datsun 510
Anyone here will tell you the SVX is a pleasure to drive. Its not a sports car, but a luxury grand touring car that is most at home cruising on the freeway.

As for working on it, its hit and miss. The alternator is a 10 minute R&R, the timing belt is cake, but other things, such as the spark plugs, are more difficult than most other cars. All in all, after owning about 8 different cars and trucks in my 15 years of driving, I love the SVX much more than any other.

I say buy it.... especially with a MT, you wont be sorry.

"A person convinced against their will, is of the same opinion still"

New?? Find the downloadable SVX Online Service Manual Here
RECOMMENDED READING for newer SVX owners Here some cool info if not fully accurate.
Old 08-22-2009, 06:14 PM

Registered SVX
Thumbs up Re: New guy with questions regarding possible ownership of SVX

Hey! Wellcome to the forum.

If you are thinking on buying an SVX, that should be the best bet you can do. If you guess the SVX is a fun to drive car, you are correct, this is one of the best cars if you like an sporty/luxury car, and i assure you its fery fun to drive.
In snow, the AWD makes it a very safe car to drive, so it´s specially suited for winter.
I can tell you that this car is one of the most complete, comfortable, safe, and good looking in the used cars market, and is selling at a very low price for a car that valuable.
You will LOVE IT!
70' Olds Toronado
98' Renault Chamade
82' Honda Prelude
79' Honda Accord awaiting restomod.
69' Mustang Hardtop
67' Jeep Ford Willys awaiting restoration.
67' IKA Torino Coupe
74' Renault Torino Coupe
Old 08-22-2009, 10:30 PM

Personally this car is way more fun on twisty mountain roads than on the freeway. My 8 year old son has sat in the back seat and fit ok. We've never put our 11 year old back there.

It would suck to try to buckle a kid into a car seat, but if they can buckle themselves it will be fine.

This is not a terribly fast car. If you want bang for buck 0-60 buy an old Volvo 850 Turbo and chip it. That will spank the SVX off the line but you will get it in the corners...

I haven't seen any simple cheap ways to add speed. They all are pretty involved and expensive. But it's a very fun car to drive and very capable. I wish it had come from the factory with a stick and a turbo, but it didn't.

I'm glad I own mine and I feel a responsibility to take care of it because it is such a nice car and it has panache.

Joel
Old 08-23-2009, 01:57 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
PM TomsSVX for any questions you might have.
loooooooooooooooooooooooooool

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
PM TomsSVX for any questions you might have.
Nice try,I am not that new of a newbie.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:49 AM
94 SVX LSI Teal

Registered SVX
Smile Re: New guy with questions regarding possible ownership of SVX

ok if you are a fan of the original Mazda RX7 you are probably in for a big surprise. Having driven only one RX7 around a block when I was a kid with a 240Z to compare the two cars, I think it's safe to say that the SVX and the RX7 are two completely different cars. The RX7 being a light, nimble little sports car you can toss around and have great fun with. The SVX, as one person said, is a luxury tourer with a sporty feel lots of power on the highway but only decent get up and go from a start. What the SVX offers that is far and away better than most cars, certainly an early RX7, is comfort, safety and a real great ride with enough sportiness that reminds you that you are driving a high-end sports car. To give you an idea, Last year I bought a mint 1981 280zx turbo. I love the car, it's fun to drive, feels faster than the SVX (but really isn't) but it does not compare to the ride of the svx. The 280ZX makes me a little tired to drive for long periods, the SVX is an absolute joy to drive.
Hope that helps.
all stock and likely staying that way for now
1981 Datsun 280zxturbo summer toy
Old 08-23-2009, 10:23 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

To drive it is to love it! They are expensive to fix unless you do most of the work youself. If you drive it with respect, it will be just fine. They are a fast car, but not fast getting up to speed. Adding the 5 speed makes it more fun to drive. Good luck on your decision.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 08-23-2009, 01:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXyGirl Send a message via Yahoo to SVXyGirl
Registered SVX

Hello and welcome to the forum. The SVX does have it's flaws but it is truly a fun and safe car to drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazdax605 View Post

Is the sellers name Nate?
92 Claret SVX LS-L (180k) 09/91 #5,732
06 Suzuki Boulevard M50 7k
68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (70k) Storage/hibernation for now.

Past SVXs:
94 SVX Emerald Pearl FWD (Sold)
96 SVX Bourdeaux LSi (Sold)
92 Pearl SVX LSL "Stay Puft" 5MT (140k) #148 (RIP)
95 Brilliant Red SVX LS (162k) 12/94 #564 "Killer Tomato" (RIP)