SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-07-2009, 09:18 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
What does your interior smell like?

I've been wondering what other cars smell like when you first open the door.. A few people complain about the smell of the interior of my car and say it smells like oil or gas or even transmission fluid.. I also get "It smells like rubber" a lot.. My guess is the leather. It's particularly strong in the summer months.

On to the point. My car "smells" but I like it.. What does your car smell like?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 PM

Re: What does your interior smell like?

Wow... that's a really personal question

Honestly... Smoke. Though when I first get in in the morning, I can still detect that freshly conditioned leather smell. At least it doesn't sound like rotting fast food stuffed under the seats. I've been vigilant about my son not eating in the car
Old 02-07-2009, 09:32 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Honestly, it smells terrible to me if I don't have an air freshener in it, but every time someone comes in they say it smells good in there :idk: Weird.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:01 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX

According to my mom, like old car. You can tell the previous owner was a smoker if you turn on the recirculate function on the HVAC.

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 02-07-2009, 10:14 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I don't think mine smells like anything, but my drier vent does currently evac into the garage as opposed to outside (gonna fix that one day), so sometimes the outside smells like lint and then that smell can creep in. :/

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:33 PM

Registered SVX

my svx smells nice, but i have not had it for a summer and hot month. Hope the leather doesnt smell bad then.

Anyhow, my legacy turbo wagon, i hauled a used transmission in it once, and it tipped over in the back and all the tranny fluid leaked out and down into the side. It stunk. It took about 4 years for that to dissipate, in the winter the smell wasnt noticable. In the summer, it stinks. Well, about the time the ATF smell lessened, i had a battery tip over back there, and the acid reacted with whatever was left of the ATF, along with eating the carpet etc. So now it has a funky smell again.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 02-07-2009, 10:43 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

I expected air freshener responses but this is good too... lol
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-07-2009, 10:53 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Like rainbows and butterflies...

My Claret has the trademark new car smell.

Patrick smells like old SVX/ and Abercrombie

The 93 smells like fail aka this thread...

I believe that if you need an air freshener, you're doing it wrong.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:58 PM

Send a message via AIM to Green1995SVX Send a message via Yahoo to Green1995SVX
Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike621 View Post
Patrick smells like old SVX/ and Abercrombie
How could that have happened?

Mine smells like mesquite. Anybody up for ribs?
2001 Audi S8
Old 02-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Believe it or not, I was actually going somewhere with this...

From time to time, when I turn on my heater or A/C, it seems like I can smell the outside of my car.. Like the exhaust or something I smushed on the road... Is it my imagination or super-human sense of smell? Or is this a common problem?
Old 02-07-2009, 11:16 PM

Registered SVX

my BRAT still smells of roasted clutch......
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K
Old 02-07-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheinen74 View Post
my svx smells nice, but i have not had it for a summer and hot month. Hope the leather doesnt smell bad then.

Anyhow, my legacy turbo wagon, i hauled a used transmission in it once, and it tipped over in the back and all the tranny fluid leaked out and down into the side. It stunk. It took about 4 years for that to dissipate, in the winter the smell wasnt noticable. In the summer, it stinks. Well, about the time the ATF smell lessened, i had a battery tip over back there, and the acid reacted with whatever was left of the ATF, along with eating the carpet etc. So now it has a funky smell again.

I spilled some 90w gear oil in the back of my old GL wagon once. That car STILL smelled like crap when my brother wrecked it 5 years after.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:42 PM

Registered SVX

I dont think my car smells of anything.
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 02-08-2009, 12:02 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Gear oil, engine oil, ATF, axle grease, assembly lube, exhaust fumes.... More so when I am in it...

That smell is you are dealing with is the fail indicator telling you you level of failure is at an epic high

Tom
Old 02-08-2009, 12:55 AM
look like a leprechaun to me

I trucked over a full-size, very dead deer carcass at ~80mph once in my Trans Am. It was a nasty mess, got deer bits in the brake calipers that I had to pick out with a pliers, skin / gibbed deer all over the undercarriage (including the exhaust), even had hair in the rims. I hosed it off immediately afterwards, but couldn't get all of it.

Every time I fired my car up for probably the next year plus, I had the smell of roasting, rotted meat coming in from the mess still stuck to the exhaust.

The Prelude smells like burning oil every time the HVAC is on, because there's a slow underhood leak that allows oil to drip onto the exhaust that I haven't fixed yet. When HVAC is not on, it has a slight mildew smell due to the windshield leak.

The BMW doesn't really smell like anything. I think that's a good thing.