SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 01-03-2009, 02:08 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Re: Alternator question

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
benebob, you must have spent a lot of time out in the rain before you got that rain coat!
Would please just read the above quote and tell me that it makes any sense to you.

Thanks,
Keith

It makes perfect sense as the alternator in the racer is BAD!
Old 01-03-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob View Post
It makes perfect sense as the alternator in the racer is BAD!
Then why are we having this discussion.

I, of course, was talking about normal operating system with perfectly good components.

Your testing consisted of checking the output of a known defective alternator and your car has no components on it to even turn on to find out that I am actually correct in how a perfectly good alternator really works on a SVX.

what is this discussion even about since you were never able to participate in any kind of test on a normal system

Maybe you do not understand what I am saying either

Apparently you must have thought that I was talking about a defective alternator all this time. My alternator is new and gets me more than 100 miles af city freeway driving every single day! Guess I didn't explain it very well, sorry...

Keith
Old 01-04-2009, 01:21 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post
Then why are we having this discussion.

I, of course, was talking about normal operating system with perfectly good components.

Your testing consisted of checking the output of a known defective alternator and your car has no components on it to even turn on to find out that I am actually correct in how a perfectly good alternator really works on a SVX.

what is this discussion even about since you were never able to participate in any kind of test on a normal system

Maybe you do not understand what I am saying either

Apparently you must have thought that I was talking about a defective alternator all this time. My alternator is new and gets me more than 100 miles af city freeway driving every single day! Guess I didn't explain it very well, sorry...

Keith
Now you have me confused. You do realize I have 2 svxi and have tested a good working street alternator, a bad working street alternator, a good woring alternator on a car with the only load being the resistance and coils and a bad working alternator on that same car with the only load being resistance and coils.

I don't care about your alternator in the least but if you as you claim are not getting close to 13.2 at idle with accessories on you might want to plan to do some diagnositc work. I know exactly what it should be putting out as I've read the FSM, tested numerous working and non-working alternators with various stock and not stock loads. From factory an SVX alternator will give you 13.2 +- a .1 at an idle regardless of any of the factory accessories, in any combination on in a properly running system. 12.75 is too low and most likely a defective alternator or another issue such as poor connections or a bad ground.

Remember my daily transportation rarely meets the needs of their electrical components. I've very much aware of what I have on and for how long when riding esp. in traffic. If any of my bikes came close to 13.2 at an idle I'd be a happy camper as that would mean I'd be able to wear some electric clothes on days like today when I road 48 miles at 80mph in 12-18 degree weather!