SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-23-2008, 06:40 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Tranny has hard time shifting(& more)

Recently, my car seems to be having a difficult time shifting into 3rd gear.. At least I believe it's 3rd gear. Anyway, when I'm driving on the freeway and I have my foot on the throtle, the engine is just loud. I'm moving faster and accelerating just fine but my transmission just won't shift into 3rd.

I attempt to get it to shift by slowing down or speeding up but I can only go so slow and as for going faster, I don't want to blow up the motor..

Sorry if I'm not being very descriptive. I'm not really good at describing my own problems so just ask if you have questions.. Thanks in advance!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-23-2008, 07:26 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Tranny has hard time shifting(& more)

is the car up to full temp when this is happening?? It is common for new owners to ask why the car will not shift into overdrive or lock the torque converter in the winter months. This is due to the following conditions. The trans will not shift into overdrive (4th gear) until the fluid in the pan reaches 50*F and will not lock the t/c until it reaches 150*F.

In my personal experience, some cars will lock the t/c before it reaches 150*F for some reason I cannot explain. While others will not.

Tom
Old 12-23-2008, 07:29 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
is the car up to full temp when this is happening?? It is common for new owners to ask why the car will not shift into overdrive or lock the torque converter in the winter months. This is due to the following conditions. The trans will not shift into overdrive (4th gear) until the fluid in the pan reaches 50*F and will not lock the t/c until it reaches 150*F.

In my personal experience, some cars will lock the t/c before it reaches 150*F for some reason I cannot explain. While others will not.

Tom
Yeah, come to think of it, I believe it's only when I first start off driving the car and I never noticed it before the recent freezing tempatures. I wasn't aware of that fact. So I guess I should start warming it up more in the mornings then..
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Yeah, come to think of it, I believe it's only when I first start off driving the car and I never noticed it before the recent freezing tempatures. I wasn't aware of that fact. So I guess I should start warming it up more in the mornings then..
Yes, but warm-up is over rated anymore. Let it warm up for 5-10mins. it won't be at operating temp, but thats OK. The ECU was built and programmed to make up for operation outside of ideal temps and will make up for it. The warm up period is to get the oil thinned out and slippery again.

Its not a problem that you are having, the transmission does this to help the lube warm-up to operating temperature much like a thermostat in a coolant system

Tom
Old 12-23-2008, 07:37 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Yes, but warm-up is over rated anymore. Let it warm up for 5-10mins. it won't be at operating temp, but thats OK. The ECU was built and programmed to make up for operation outside of ideal temps and will make up for it. The warm up period is to get the oil thinned out and slippery again.

Its not a problem that you are having, the transmission does this to help the lube warm-up to operating temperature much like a thermostat in a coolant system

Tom
So there's no risk of anything suddenly exploding or anything like that?
Old 12-23-2008, 07:39 AM

Mine can take a mile or more to shift to 4th on really cold mornings (for here, 10-20F), and 8-10 miles for the TC to lock. Unless I have to scrape or defrost the glass, I usually just turn the key and go.

dcb
Old 12-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
So there's no risk of anything suddenly exploding or anything like that?
No... Now this doesn't go to say beat the hell out of it when its cold... You should be driving gingerly

Tom
Old 12-23-2008, 09:16 AM
Happy SVX
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

When the torque converter locks up where will the RPMs be around say at 65mph? What will the RPMs be if it is not locking? Just wondering.
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 12-23-2008, 09:56 AM
Maniac modifier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean486 View Post
When the torque converter locks up where will the RPMs be around say at 65mph? What will the RPMs be if it is not locking? Just wondering.
on a stock transmission in 4th I believe the rpms are about 2k@60mph w/ the t/c locked. Unlocked it should be around 2250-2500 cruising

Tom
Old 12-23-2008, 11:25 AM

On the freeway I often set the cruise at 2500 RPM. That's 72-74 MPH. 3000 RPM = 80+ MPH.

dcb
Old 12-24-2008, 09:45 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Had dinner at OT's place with "the family" and we went for a test drive. The car was warmed up by then and when we drove there were NO problems... Well no problems pertaining to what we we're looking for anyway.. My steering was off and tranny temp a little high, etc, etc.. but thats for another thread.. Point is, the tranny is fine... for now.

Thanks for the help!!