Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-18-2008, 08:10 PM

Talking My 5speed Conversion is Done!

Just finished my 5spd conversion on my 92 pearly..Only drove it around the lot at my shop, but its a dream come true... been thinking about this for a while.. Car runs great...
I have some pics, ill post em up later...
Big thanks to Tomssvx for the kit... anyone thinking of doing this conversion should not think twice about contacting him... Everything you need, perfectly designed and fabricated.. made it so much easier...

Also big thanks to all the members for such a great, active forum for all us svxers... all of the threads and posts are priceless... its thanks to you i now have my 5 speed... cant wait to really drive it!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:06 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX
Re: My 5speed Conversion is Done!

Right, right! Your father told us about it! Glad to hear it's all finished and running great! Welcome to the forums, my friend! Don't forget to post many, many pictures and ANY information on anything your doing to your car! Your input is very welcome and much appriciated! Again, welcome, and have fun!
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 12-19-2008, 06:20 AM
Awitha Cheese-ahhh!

Send a message via AIM to greggbzz

I have been extremely happy with the conversion Tom did on mine. Everything just works and the car has not given me any problems despite my driving it everywhere in the 7 months since it was swapped.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:13 PM

Congratulations!
May I ask that why it seems that not too many people would make a 6spd swap?
Old 01-03-2009, 10:20 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

Trans alone more than doubles (?) the overall cost.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 01-03-2009, 10:23 PM

so, has anyone done it with a full description of parts, process and cost? what is known to be the latest year of 6spd that would fit the EG33?
thanks for the expertise sharing!
Old 01-08-2009, 11:57 AM

Just had my first drive in my old perlie, now my son's 5-speed perlie. All I can say is WOW!!!!! These cars where meant to be 5-speeds, it is a whole new experience...ya, I'm real jealous of him now. The 2004 WRX tranny with a stage 2 clutch and 11lb flywheel, makes this car drive the way it was suppose to drive. He did a perfect job on this conversion with some questions answered and guidance from Tom, thanks again Tom.
I know he took lots of pictures during the conversion and I also know he plans of posting them here, we now have another member who knows how to do the conversion.
Looks real nice in the driveway right now, father and son SVX's side by side I can hardly wait for the summer.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 01-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
so, has anyone done it with a full description of parts, process and cost? what is known to be the latest year of 6spd that would fit the EG33?
Any year will fit. I have a 2007 STi 6spd in my car....
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 01-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

This almost makes me wish I could drive manual.. lol
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 01-08-2009, 03:58 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

I can't wait to post a thread like this. Congrats man.
Old 01-08-2009, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sicksubie View Post
Any year will fit. I have a 2007 STi 6spd in my car....
I think this is what I'll have to put into my 96 an STi 6-speed sounds real nice and I'm sure gets the most out of your SVX.
Stainless steel brake lines
K&N filter, custom front grill
H.I.D low beams 5000k 35w, H.I.D fog/driving 4500k 35w
Clear front and corner lens
Old 01-18-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansvx View Post
i know also people use legacy tranny for the swaps. does any one knows what year and trim is the best of the legacys. im planning to use a legacy turbo tranny for my swap
Old 01-18-2009, 10:14 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

A turbo trans would be good. if you are using a different legacy trans... while it will work well, it won't hold up to much abuse.

Tom
Old 01-18-2009, 12:20 PM
I kill more trannies then god

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
A turbo trans would be good. if you are using a different legacy trans... while it will work well, it won't hold up to much abuse.

Tom
this is true i abuse them, and they only last about 5-10,000 miles usually less then that, one only went 1000.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Slightly off topic but sounds like the Legacy Turbo transmission with the 3.90 gearing is considered a reasonable replacement for the stock SVX? My "95" likely has the notorious Duty Solonoid C failure and going 5 speed manual is proving cost and technically prohibitive to me. But there is a 1991 Legacy Turbo "rebuild" tranny I found that may be a good transplant. Any experiences or comments on this idea the members here can share on that? Oh, ad says it has stronger roller bearings & some stuff about "JDM"?? Does this mean anything or just bling? THANKS!