Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > ECU Tune Projects

Old 01-10-2009, 01:49 PM
Subaru Swapper

Send a message via AIM to AFBeefcake
Re: New for Christmas 08 Stage1Av1

Not to hijack your thead, but will there be a stage2Av1.
I have not orded my stage1v5 yet and wonder if i should wait, not that I can order it till spring anyway.

Also do you sell the injector connectors? I have the MAF and injectors.
Old 01-11-2009, 07:54 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

not in the near future. I'm still waiting on enough feedback from the testers of stage1av1 to move forward with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFBeefcake View Post
Not to hijack your thead, but will there be a stage2Av1.
I have not orded my stage1v5 yet and wonder if i should wait, not that I can order it till spring anyway.

Also do you sell the injector connectors? I have the MAF and injectors.
Old 01-11-2009, 09:20 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
wicked, how noticeable is the performance improvement going from 1v5 to A1v1? Has there been any change in engine temps?
I would love to test that out for you but I currently am having trouble with my thermostat again.... I went on 3hr drive to Charleston SC, the trip down was okay but upon my return and getting off I-95 stuck close causing my car to heat up. I do not believe this had anything to do with your software just ****ty, thermostat. I am attempting to find out why it is only sticking when on long drives. I used the 1v5 on the hightway not the A1v1

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 01-11-2009, 09:50 AM
Just some dude.

are you sure it's your thermostat and not a head gasket--what you are describing sounds typical of a bad head gasket.

To seal it up:
1)drain all the coolant from your radiator
2)remove your thermostat and reinstall housing without it(with gasket)
3)fill with plain water
4)drain again
5)fill with plain water again + 1 bottle of blue devil
6)drive for a day or two
7)drain cooling system
8)install thermostat
9)fill with 50/50 coolant water mix

If you follow that procedure blue devil WILL fix a blow head gasket. You have to do it that way because it only works with water and it will glue your thermostat shut if you don't remove it while it's in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
I would love to test that out for you but I currently am having trouble with my thermostat again.... I went on 3hr drive to Charleston SC, the trip down was okay but upon my return and getting off I-95 stuck close causing my car to heat up. I do not believe this had anything to do with your software just ****ty, thermostat. I am attempting to find out why it is only sticking when on long drives. I used the 1v5 on the hightway not the A1v1
Old 01-11-2009, 10:36 AM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Only reason I am pretty sure its a thermostat again is because of the fact Lower Rad hose was cool to the touch were as the top rad was well very hot .I have never had a problem with loosing coolant. OT didnt seem to suggest that but maybe I should give him a call.

Its not every time I got on extended drives. For example I drove down there fine, no problems. It was only on the way back the next day. Driving to OT's the Thermostat stuck close, and he had to come and get me ..... but the 7 hour drive home a few days later went fine. This is the first time since OCT it has happened.

Hmmm now I am worried about it being a head gasket. Any test that will show I have a blow HG ?

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild

Last edited by Wikedjuggalo; 01-11-2009 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-11-2009, 10:13 PM

Registered SVX

Hello, sorry I have been away, I have had some problems lately (not with the car). I do not really notice a difference between A1v1 and 1v5. I have not had any engine temp difference nor any pinging with either software. I filled up today and got 22mpg again using A1v1. Both versions are an improvement over the stock software from the standpoint of off the line performance. I actually thought that possibly I was not providing power because they seemed so similar. I checked with my DMM however and the switch is working. BTW, how do they switch so seamlessly, i would think there would be a slight hesitation at the very least.

I will be checking this thread often now, so let me know if you need anything else. With gas lower, I also can have some more fun and not feel guilty...
Joe
Old 01-12-2009, 07:48 AM
Just some dude.

They are able to switch seemlessly because the switch is made at the memory hardware so it is completely transparent to the ecu; it just continues along as it was except using the alternative tune.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:15 AM
Just some dude.

What octane are each of you using?

I suspect the reason wicked sees a difference between 1av1 and 1v5 and olds doesn't is in the cars rather than the gas but we aught to keep an eye out for that too.

The ecu in a perfectly running svx with the 1v5 software should learn to use pretty close to the same ignition timing as what's in the 1av1 software. It's starting to seem/I'm thinking there are some cars /more and more cars out there that aren't learning in ignition advance as well as they should and that it would be fruitful to offer software that delivers the performance without depending on the learning.

I'm now going to send software to krynock for performance testing. He'll be doing back to back 1/4 mile runs with a gtech pro for comparison between different software versions. In addition to what I sent you guys I will send him a version with 1v5 fuel and the new timing timing. I suspect the final release of 1av1 will be with the new ignition timing scheme that doesn't depend on learning used in both memory locations and the fuel table from 1v5 in one location and the new fuel saving fuel table in the other location--but we will see.

Now, if you guys could--I'd like you to start trying lower grades of fuel.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:19 AM
Just some dude.

There are but they don't always work. I've block checked eg33's with blown head gaskets that didn't show exhaust in the coolant. Did you actually check your lower radiator hose this time or just assume it was the same because of your prior problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wikedjuggalo View Post
Only reason I am pretty sure its a thermostat again is because of the fact Lower Rad hose was cool to the touch were as the top rad was well very hot .I have never had a problem with loosing coolant. OT didnt seem to suggest that but maybe I should give him a call.

Its not every time I got on extended drives. For example I drove down there fine, no problems. It was only on the way back the next day. Driving to OT's the Thermostat stuck close, and he had to come and get me ..... but the 7 hour drive home a few days later went fine. This is the first time since OCT it has happened.

Hmmm now I am worried about it being a head gasket. Any test that will show I have a blow HG ?
Old 01-12-2009, 12:22 PM

Registered SVX

I have been using either 93/94 depending on where I fill up. When I fill up next, should I use 87 octane? If I do get a knock with the lower grade gas, I can just switch to 1v5 correct?
EDIT: I recently changed all of the vacuum hoses and the PCV valve under the manifold and this as solved my idle shake problem. I also changed the the plugs and cleaned the air cleaner before I switched the software as well.
Thanks,
Joe

Last edited by oldss72; 01-12-2009 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:26 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by longassname View Post
There are but they don't always work. I've block checked eg33's with blown head gaskets that didn't show exhaust in the coolant. Did you actually check your lower radiator hose this time or just assume it was the same because of your prior problems?
No I checked it, That is the first thing I checked before I called OT. I hope that is the issue, I haven't experienced unexplained coolant lose so I'm hope its not but give me a month I'll have the money to replace it if we find evidence of it.

Old 01-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Registered SVX

I have been driving on 87 for about 1/2 a tank, so far so good, I will let you know when I am empty.

Joe
Old 01-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Just some dude.

I got some more memory in and am sending software out to svxfiles today for some performance testing.
Old 01-21-2009, 01:15 PM

Registered SVX

If you're still looking I commute around 300 miles a week consistantly for school and always figure my mpg out when I fill up. If you're all set then I can't wait to hear what you get back in results.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:05 PM

Registered SVX

Just filled up my first tank of 87 octane gas. No Difference that I could notice. I kept a close eye on the temp gauge, and did not see any difference. It has been wicked cold however for quite a while, (highest I have seen in days is 10), but I don't think there will be any difference. I got 21.5 mpg this last tank, although there was some driving though snow, and a few times that I practiced my sliding though corners...lol. Let me know if you need anything else.
Joe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: