Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX
Help diagnosing a noise

I've got a new noise, hard to describe, kind of a pulsating hum that gets faster as I open the throttle until either gets drowned out by engine noise or gets so fast it blends into normal engine noise.

At first I thought it migh even be something rubbing because i noticed it at very slow parking lot speeds. Disappeared around 25 mph.

But in diagnosing, it happens while sitting still in Neutral or Park as well, though slightly quieter for some reason than when driving slowly.

Seems to be coming from the driver's side rear area as well, though I could be wrong. When I open the rear window while driving or open the door to try to hear it from the outside it actually gets harder to hear.

1992 SVX LSL "Serenity" 250,000 miles!

I don't care, I'm still free, You can't take the sky from me...
Old 11-19-2008, 02:34 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Help diagnosing a noise

i got a lot of funny sound coming out of my svx tooo....sorry i cant help

1) looks to be coming between front diff and engine
2) another one by the cam covers....(especially under cold day) usually it dissapear after warm up
3) i heard water one day
4) the ac doing funny noises sometimes too ....i just read the other post i guess i'll try cleaning the terminals
5) and a pulse thing like your saying
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill

Last edited by Francis; 11-19-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 12:00 AM
Subaru Technician

Send a message via AIM to Hondasucks Send a message via MSN to Hondasucks Send a message via Yahoo to Hondasucks
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
I've got a new noise, hard to describe, kind of a pulsating hum that gets faster as I open the throttle until either gets drowned out by engine noise or gets so fast it blends into normal engine noise.

At first I thought it migh even be something rubbing because i noticed it at very slow parking lot speeds. Disappeared around 25 mph.

But in diagnosing, it happens while sitting still in Neutral or Park as well, though slightly quieter for some reason than when driving slowly.

Seems to be coming from the driver's side rear area as well, though I could be wrong. When I open the rear window while driving or open the door to try to hear it from the outside it actually gets harder to hear.

My Legacy makes a sort of "hum" from the intake, since I have a cone filter on it, I think it's just induction noise... Is that what you are hearing? Listen carefully by your airbox.
1992 SVX LS-L #1222 Pearl White
1987 GL Turbo wagon, 5 lug conversion, D/R 5 speed (Rice killer)
1992 Dodge Ram 4x4 diesel (car hauler)
1968 Dodge Polara convertible (Camaro killer)
1990 Toyota Corolla FWD auto (330,000 mile grocery getter)
1986 VW Jetta
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Listened by the airbox and couldn't hear it as well as I can sitting in the car. Very strange. Also, it's not a constant hum, but a very "choppy" hum that speeds up until I can no longer hear it past about 20 mph. I've never heard it before a week ago and it definitely doesn't sound right.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:08 AM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Listened by the airbox and couldn't hear it as well as I can sitting in the car. Very strange. Also, it's not a constant hum, but a very "choppy" hum that speeds up until I can no longer hear it past about 20 mph. I've never heard it before a week ago and it definitely doesn't sound right.
Troy... Remove the intake snorkus, loosen the dogbone mount on the trans and tighten it back up... Could be stressed since we shifted the engine w/ new mounts

Tom
Old 11-25-2008, 10:48 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Troy... Remove the intake snorkus, loosen the dogbone mount on the trans and tighten it back up... Could be stressed since we shifted the engine w/ new mounts

Tom
Yeah those old mounts were "different" enough to cause a shift when you put the new ones on. I'll give it a try and report back...

Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post

Tom
I finally got around to doing this last night. I only loosened/retightened the one bolt at the front (engine side) of the dogbone as I didn't have tools handy to loosen the back one.

Not sure if it did something or just coincidence, but driving after that I didn't notice the noise as much. But it's still there and now seems less consistent. And also seems it is no longer confined to only when I'm on the gas, but also when I'm off the gas at low speeds. This is going to drive me crazy!

Old 12-01-2008, 10:57 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
I finally got around to doing this last night. I only loosened/retightened the one bolt at the front (engine side) of the dogbone as I didn't have tools handy to loosen the back one.

Not sure if it did something or just coincidence, but driving after that I didn't notice the noise as much. But it's still there and now seems less consistent. And also seems it is no longer confined to only when I'm on the gas, but also when I'm off the gas at low speeds. This is going to drive me crazy!
Then the dogbone is likely not to blame here... hrm im stumper without hearing it

Tom
Old 12-02-2008, 06:44 AM
Just some dude.

Significant Technical Input

exhaust leak?
Old 12-08-2008, 07:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to degeso

check your motor and tranni mounts
Old 12-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Was MacGyver

Registered SVX

I'm pretty sure it is not motor/tranny mounts as those were BOTH fairly bad and I was aware of the noises they were causing. Both were replaced and the associated noises went away.

This continues to annoy and as it seems to keep changing, get more worrisome. Now intermittently there will be a quick metallic buzz thrown in there. Some electronic part of the tranny? ABS system?

Again, the primary noise "seems" to be coming from the driver-rear of the car, but I can only hear it inside the cabin, at very slow speeds, louder when on the gas. Rolling down the window makes it harder to hear (as opposed to something outside the car rattling). Going above 20 mph or so makes it disappear (or it gets drowned out?), opposite of something like a bad wheel bearing which just gets louder the faster you go. I've tried hearing it in the engine bay with no success either (might be getting drowned out by other engine sounds at the front).

Very strange, and I don't think it is loud enough or clear enough to record, at least with any equipment I have.

I'm going to go through some troubleshooting with Tom on my rough idle issue and see if maybe whatever fixes that will solve the noise as well. We can only hope.