Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-13-2008, 02:42 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Finished my power mode mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
You can use the dry transfer lettering that hobby shops sell for model trains to do the lettering and put a flat clearcoat over it. The font which most resembles the lettering on the dash buttons is Gothic Condensed. I already have some of this on hand.

Here is a link to just on of the many sites available to purchase lettering
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/woo/woomg738.htm

And if you do it right, it may just end up looking like this...

I thought about doing that but I want it to be back lit like the rest of the buttons. I have some ideas in the works and I'll post if they work out.
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 11-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

lol.... I looked at the switches today... I think I might be able to just pull it off with a lit push button one... shame they only came in red!

I'm just curious where did you tap the power from?? did you wire directly to the battery?? or tap into something close??
Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest

For the "power mod" he didn't need to get power. All he needed was to provide a ground to one of the TCU pins.
Old 11-14-2008, 12:02 PM

Registered SVX

i think he meant about the green illumination
Edit : oh ...i just read the other reply...tricky, i thought i was true !!
Ebony black 92 Ls-l Alive - 25XXXX - Quick change, Powermod , Alternator Mod , audiobahn 1300 watt ach ,exile 800 watt peak, jackhammer 12" 300 watt rms, polkaudio 6 1/2 compoment. kenwood dvd\nav . radar detector.small car lens and grill

Last edited by Francis; 11-14-2008 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Rebuilding

Registered SVX

I was going to put mine on the other side but after deciding against it because of the spot. Nice job and I like it. Mine is on the side of the steering way.

1994 SVX LS - 5spd AWD Emerald Green 202k miles PWR Radiator, HID 5000k, New paint job with issues, 17" STI BBS wheels, converted to 5spd AWD from FWD. Purchased from SVXyGirl 2/20/09 -- Undergoing complete rebuild
1993 Justy 4wd 5door- Teal of sorts , beater.
2008 OBXT Newport Pearl 65k miles
Old 11-17-2008, 11:07 AM

Registered SVX

So I'm almost done. I added a green 5mm LED to the switch. I wired the ground to the switch and the power to the power feed to the radio. I cut some grooves in the switch so the wires would be recessed. I thought about trying to run the wires on the inside of the switch but decided on the outside in case I want to change colors and then I wouldn't have to take the switch apart to do it. I used a 5mm green LED from Radio Shack #276-304 and added a 330 Ohm #271-012 resistor to it to bring the voltage down.

Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 11-17-2008, 05:56 PM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

can you take a picture of the whole button assembly put back together before you put it in the car? I'm curious exactly how it all worked out where you fit everything, I haven't pulled mine apart yet so I don't know exactly what I'm looking at in your pictures. Thanks! where did you draw the power for the led?? is it just hooked to the power coming into the switch or is that what you hooked directly to the radio power like you said??

Last edited by Johnybeas; 11-17-2008 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:33 PM

should have filled up a little more before the picture...
Old 11-17-2008, 08:38 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestmonsterSVX View Post
should have filled up a little more before the picture...
Just topped it off tonight. $1.89 for premium. Only took 9.7 gal as my fuel gauge is starting to go bad and reads wrong.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:55 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

wow... premium below 2 dollars some places!? I think I'm getting happier by the day... when I heard of regular dropping below I had good feelings!!
Old 11-19-2008, 05:28 PM

Registered SVX

Well I did some lettering on the switch today. I went to the craft store and bought a Testors decal making kit and made one that says power. I scraped off some of the black material on one of the factory switch covers and placed the decal over it. I then touched it up with black model paint. The decal I made was black with white lettering. It doesn't look perfect but I can live with it for now as it doesn't look too bad from a seated position.
power decal

installed

backlit
Old 11-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Happy SVX

Registered SVX

Looks great!
1992 SVX LSL 5-Speed Sold at 180K 2019
1995 SVX Lsi Polo Sold at 118K 2007
Old 11-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Banned

Registered SVX

how is it lighting up the words??? I'm confused if you just put a decal on the front of the button how the light would shine through the black plastic... aren't the other ones kinda clear through where the white lettering is on the buttons?? gosh I really need to get home so I can look at my buttons and figure this out instead of asking a lot of these questions I could probably answer myself, but it's just driving me crazy with anticipation!!! I'm stoked!!
Old 11-21-2008, 04:47 PM

Registered SVX

Nice work!
1997 Ebony #308 113k "The Black Diva"SOLD
1992 Black over Liquid Silver 152k SOLD
1992 Ebony 251k 444 SOLD
1999 Silver SLK230 134k SOLD
1997 Green Outback 137k SOLD
2013 Honda Accord I4 SOLD
2015 Subaru Crosstrek 30k
2018 Tesla M3 30k
Old 11-21-2008, 09:21 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
how is it lighting up the words??? I'm confused if you just put a decal on the front of the button how the light would shine through the black plastic... aren't the other ones kinda clear through where the white lettering is on the buttons?? gosh I really need to get home so I can look at my buttons and figure this out instead of asking a lot of these questions I could probably answer myself, but it's just driving me crazy with anticipation!!! I'm stoked!!
If you take one of the switch covers off and look at it from behind you will see that the area where the lettering is printed on is opaque allowing light to pass through. I just scraped off the factory lettering and placed a decal over it. I'm at work until Sun but I will try and post a pic of a switch cover when I get home.