SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2008, 08:39 PM

New paint, now I need new rims!

Hello All,

Greetings from Vermont.

I just picked up my newly painted 92 SVX today. Oh the excitement!

The new paint is showing how old the original rims look. It is time to replace them. Unfortunately, I know nothing about rims. I think I would like to stay with the stock size, but I don't know what that size is. I've seen 16 x 7.5 and 16 x 7. But, when it comes to bolt patterns and offsets, I am lost. I have been looking at black rims, thinking black on black is a nice effect. However, I am not opposed to other colors like chrome, silver or gold. My next question is where to get them. I am willing to purchase good condition used on eBay or new if they are affordable. I found these http://superbuytires.com/Sacchi/Styl...sh=Hyper+Black, but I am not sure if they are what I need.

Any help, advice, pictures, etc. are very appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
'Gator
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SVX 10-22-08 01.jpg (235.6 KB, 169 views)
File Type: jpg SVX 10-22-08 02.jpg (215.9 KB, 147 views)
Old 10-22-2008, 08:43 PM

Re: New paint, now I need new rims!

Correction:

The link above was for a different set of rims, same size. The ones I like are here: http://superbuytires.com/Devino/Stamina/?finish=Black

'Gator
Old 10-22-2008, 09:14 PM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

Honestly, go with some quality rims if you're going to upgrade. STI BBS, Maybe some a set newer Z/Maxima wheels or something. I always thought LMGT2s would look awesome on a SVX.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Stock factory wheels are 16" x 7.5" wide.
114.3mm bolt circle (5 lug) or 4.5" bolt circle
+55mm offset

The most important consideration is the offset. Try to get as close as you can to avoid fitment and rubbing problems. Some members here with aftermarket wheels can tell you what the ranges are for their wheels.

I think the lowest I can recall was +38mm, but anywhere from 42mm-45mm and up would be okay.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Stock factory wheels are 16" x 7.5" wide.
114.3mm bolt circle (5 lug) or 4.5" bolt circle
+55mm offset

The most important consideration is the offset. Try to get as close as you can to avoid fitment and rubbing problems. Some members here with aftermarket wheels can tell you what the ranges are for their wheels.

I think the lowest I can recall was +38mm, but anywhere from 42mm-45mm and up would be okay.

Mustangs use this bolt pattern, but have very wrong offsets. Nissans with this pattern seem to have a acceptible offset, as do certain mazdas.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:03 AM
I'm the anti-do-gooder

I have Enkeis, I don't really like the look of them but they came with the car.
Old 10-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
Mustangs use this bolt pattern, but have very wrong offsets....Nissans with this pattern seem to have a acceptable offset.
Dayle at planetsvx used the 17" Mustang Bullitt wheels on his SVX without any problems

A partial listing of cross-over rims that fit can be found on his site HERE and aftermarket rims can be found HERE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT6Wagon View Post
As do certain Mazdas
And there are the beautiful Mazda RX-8 wheels, 18" x 8", 114.3mm bolt pattern and +50mm offset

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

Old 10-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

If you love the RX-8 wheels, there is a set of exact replicas on ebay right now, made to factory specs and finished in factory color, for $499.00 for a complete set of 4 (no center cap or lugnuts) plus $80.00 shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/18-Ma...mZ200266984348

Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Dayle at planetsvx used the 17" Mustang Bullitt wheels on his SVX without any problems

thats interesting that would fit, the ones I looked at usualy are 9" wide or more and have stupid low offsets. Good to know the non-cobra rims work
Old 10-24-2008, 10:40 AM

Wow,

Thanks for all the great information.

I have made a decision to keep the stock rims and my current all-season tires on for the winter. Then, next spring I am going to pick up another set of rims and some sweet summer tires. I really like those Mazda 18" rims. But, how is the ride? It doesn't seem like there can be much rubber between the rim and the road. Also, what would be a good choice for an 18" Z-Rated tire.

I was looking through the pix for the calander that are posted in the forum and saw a car with Tribecca rims. I really liked the Subaru emblem in the center, pretty stylish. Does anyone know the specs on those? Were they modified?

SVXcess's link for compatible rims is awesome. That really opens up some options.

Thanks again to everyone whose is contributing. I am really enjoying breathing new life into my "Old Friend".

'Gator
Old 10-24-2008, 10:51 AM

Here's the link to the page with the Tribecca rims. Scroll down to see the submission from Processengr.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=45834