Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-11-2002, 07:33 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Question A/C compressor shot?

I've been reading up on everybody's A/C problems, but haven't really caught a scenario that I'm in.. I had my engine replaced almost a year ago, and the A/C hasn't worked since. I checked under the hood during the winter and noticed the belt was gone. I finally got around to putting one on today, but the A/C still doesn't work.. I can get the compressor to turn somewhat easily with a socket wrench, but it won't spin under its own power.... I also believe that I need to get the system recharged. Would not having any R-134a in the system keep the compressor from turning? I plan on getting the R-134a filled soon (within the next week or so), so I guess I'll find out then.. Just hoping someone can ease my tensions

http://stickyvinylgraphics.com/
Old 06-11-2002, 08:59 PM
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to Stevebsy Send a message via Yahoo to Stevebsy
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
The compressor will not engage if there is excessively low pressure. It's been that way on the other recent cars I've had. I'm sure the SVX is similar.

You can get a refill kit for R134 at the local parts store, but if your's is a 92 as I think it is, it might have the older refridgerant, so make sure of that first...

Custom Oil Caps, Battery Bars, Phenolic Spacers for sale here:
http://www.x35design.com
Old 06-11-2002, 09:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Zeppelin Send a message via AIM to Zeppelin Send a message via Yahoo to Zeppelin
Yeah Steve mine's a 92.. I went to Autozone today and asked them about it and they said I can buy the R-134a kit and put it in IF all the old freon's out.. So I had one of the guys check and my tank had zero pressure to it.. When he pressed the valve on the top no air came out.. So I guess I'll have to buy one of those kits and see what happens!

Old 06-12-2002, 05:49 AM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Uh...you need to evacuate the system before you can add any refrigerant to it. When it goes to zero pressure, air replaces freon and you can't have air in the system and have it cool. Plus if the system has gone to zero you'll want to find the leak and fix it first. Most shops do an a/c inspection for around $35, if they find a leak they can pull the freon back out of the system and it won't be lost (ie $blown for nothing.) Then you can decide to fix the leak, maybe yourself, and save a few coconuts.
Old 06-12-2002, 09:37 AM

Thanks for the info Beav! I don't know if there is a leak or not.. I had the engine and transmission replaced in my car awhile back, and the A/C didn't work since that.. I figure they might have drained the system while working under the hood.. I found a local shop that is going to take a look at it for me..