Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Turbo Projects

Old 05-18-2008, 03:50 AM

turbo my svx?

well i went to a car show and a shop named kito auto sport wants to turbo my svx.they are located in seattle washington. i told them about my car and they said they want me to take it to thier shop so they can look at it and they said they want to turbo it and run a diffrent ems system since its a 96,of course id have to pay though but it would be thier first svx to turbo.

They had custom sti's there that had lots of custom work and a sti with 600 whp! they also make custom intake manifolds and everything, the guys seemed very intrested in talking with me about my svx , they all had good things to say about it too, they were fans. i just thought id tell you guys.

PS: i took off my black tint on my tail lights except the yellow corners and that had to be one of the better ideas ive had in a while which many would agree
Old 05-18-2008, 04:21 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
If they are so eager to Turbo your SVX, why don't you buy the parts for them while they provide the labor and custom works.

Worth a shot, hein?

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:36 AM

yeh i could talk to them about it. i mentioned earls 5sp with NOS and they all went "oooo!" they also thought it would be cool to put in a sti 6sp.
Old 05-18-2008, 03:19 PM

Why would a shop owner even offer for you to pay for anything since it would be there first svx turbo kit,if the kit is successful you should get half off since it would be your engine getting everything tuned.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:01 PM

i see what your saying, use my car as the donor and they make the kit and they give it to me for half off or free and then they can sell the kits them selves and make loads of money. ill send the shop an email about it.
Old 05-18-2008, 09:43 PM

you should tell em that they can play with mine too!!!!!!!!LOL
Old 05-20-2008, 11:02 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
2cents:

I would spend a lot of time getting to know these guys and what they do before handing my vehicle over. These types of projects are easy to start and rip apart, but hard to finish and drive home. Make sure its someone you can trust. Be sure they do not have a lot of "project" cars or "customer" cars that have/are sitting for months at a time. Choosing the route to do it yourself at home will be more diffucult, and require more time, but it also will be finished
Old 05-21-2008, 04:30 PM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phast SVX View Post
2cents:

I would spend a lot of time getting to know these guys and what they do before handing my vehicle over. These types of projects are easy to start and rip apart, but hard to finish and drive home. Make sure its someone you can trust. Be sure they do not have a lot of "project" cars or "customer" cars that have/are sitting for months at a time. Choosing the route to do it yourself at home will be more diffucult, and require more time, but it also will be finished
Well said Chris. It's easy to conceptualize everything until they pull things apart to realize how difficult it's going to be, or expensive. Last thing you would want to do is to end up paying to have someone else clean up their mess if there is one.

If you do decide to do it, I wish you the best and that it pushes some big numbers
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 05-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Back Road Blazer

Send a message via AIM to black beast
I am sure there would be many ppl here that would be interested in a real kit for the SVX... not a dinky 1.8L turbo but a nice fit to size turbo. It would have to have an intercooler and all piping included..

You might want to pass that on. Do mine well and others might wanna buy a kit.

I know I for would would look into putting money together.
'94 ebony pearl, with orange "silicone" hoses, painted beauty cover, Tom's Intake, Dayles Cold air intake; with HKS mega suction foam air filter, 3in header back exhaust, STI ground wires, euro front fascia, euro front grill, reactive 17in wheels, Nitto Invo's, Drilled and slotted rotors, stainless break lines, Koni strut inserts, Drop springs, 5MT, shotshifter, Clutchmasters clutch, ACT prolite flywheel, EL Glow gauges, The ECUTune stage 2. To Do: Cams, port and polish, etc.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:32 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by black beast View Post
I am sure there would be many ppl here that would be interested in a real kit for the SVX... not a dinky 1.8L turbo but a nice fit to size turbo. It would have to have an intercooler and all piping included..

You might want to pass that on. Do mine well and others might wanna buy a kit.

I know I for would would look into putting money together.

I will do a kit for $7,500
Old 05-24-2008, 03:15 AM

dang, 7500 is alot for a turbo kit
Old 05-24-2008, 10:03 AM
SVXtreme

$7500 is more than I payed for my whole car!
Old 05-24-2008, 03:27 PM

In parts alone (including engine management) you'd probably have about $3k to do it right, with QUALITY products.

Labor isn't cheap either...

I wouldn't expect this place that wants to do it for you for any less than $6k.

Sure you can cheap out on parts, but you're going to be buying new ones down the road then anyway.

Home of the Bontrager Works 22mm rear sway bar!!
Old 05-25-2008, 10:41 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevin View Post
In parts alone (including engine management) you'd probably have about $3k to do it right, with QUALITY products.

Labor isn't cheap either...

I wouldn't expect this place that wants to do it for you for any less than $6k.

Sure you can cheap out on parts, but you're going to be buying new ones down the road then anyway.
I wish I was in your dreamworld. Three grand couldnt be done unless you were lucky enough to have stuff laying around at a shop like i was.
- The turbo is a grand unless you want a chinese unit for 300 bux. Ive used a chinese unit for the last two years. It works, but not as it should. a few of the notable items that blow off the top of my dusty noggin are
- a full set of stainless
- eight 2.5" OD 304L 18 guage stainless jbends
- two straight 3" OD
- three 3" Jbends
- two velocity stacks, or some handy tig work with a few pieces of left of piping for the new plenum. We attempted to pressurize the stock snorkel and it blew air out of every crevis plausible.
- Tial 38"" wastegate and spring(s)
- Quality Bypass valve ( blow off valve)
- Fuel pump
- ECUTUne 2v7
- injectors and z32 maf
- RRFPR (possibly)
- FMIC
- a ton of t-clamps
- i dont reember how many 2/3 ply couplers, in 2.5, 2.5->3, and 3" sizes
- wideband, some form or another.
- boost gauge
- expensive ass spark plugs that you will foul and need to clean off till the car runs right
- god only knows how many hours of work. Hundreds in the case of my vehicle, and I had a ton of help from very talented friends as well.

regarding standalone;The only engine managements worth while for a dialy driver you can hand over to a customer and not worry about it needing a retune or just plain cutting out will run you 2 grand (AEM standalone EMS kit, with programmable drivers) and a few hours of dynotime.

Ask anyone who drives a megasquirt if they would let their mother drive it daily (the true test of charecter for a tuner). They will say, "no" or they are lying.

On second thought after looking at that list and thinking of all the time it takes to do it, and it right, you couldnt pay me to do this again!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:17 AM
Tech & Almost Lawyer

On top of the recommendations to get to know these guys really well and observing their shop for a good deal of time, here's my two cents. Since they're the ones that want to do it, you pay no labor. Especially since they've never done one and they will be taking a long time to do just about anything and will be redoing many things. As for parts, you should be paying no more than 50% of the parts that are IN THE CAR when you drive it home. Since they're testing things out on your car, there will be some things that they try that just won't work out and parts will end up scrapped.

One major thing I would also put in place is a contract in case of a big mistake. There's the general "well the shop screwed up" sort of stuff that they'll cover. I'm just concerned that they might put all this together for you then something goes drastically wrong and they no longer want to put the time or effort into it. I understand being excited about the offer, just make sure you're watching out for yourself and your car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: