Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 06-05-2002, 01:47 PM

gauges speed check

when we put in my euro glow gauges, i was told that i could take off the needle and just replace them carefully and match them up so i can slip the faces on. now my car says that i am doing 10 more than i actually am. the question is whether the speedo and the rpms are attached.... right now, at 60(the wrong speed/ really 50) the rpms are at 2 like they were before..i know this cuz i relied on it when i didn't have a speedo. when i was doing 60, the rpms were at 2. i have the resting (idle) rpms at 1. is that right? can i just fix the speedo and the rpms will fix too, or am i stuck for days with a trial and error deal.

the gas guage is also messed up.. at half a tank, i usually am at 150 miles...now i am at 3/4 of a tank at 150 miles....

i know i should not have taken the needles off in the first place, but i couldn't get the gauges on...

any help would be appresiated

thanks in advance
Kelli
1992 LS-L Pearl 124k
"Yeah, that thingy!"
owner of the new 1992 LS-L Pearl "Susie"
I am a pessimistic optimistic. I think the worst is going to happen, that way when it does, i don't feel as bad, but if the best happens, i am twice as happy.
Old 06-05-2002, 03:42 PM
Green1995SVX

You removed the needles?

M
Old 06-05-2002, 06:30 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
call me.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 01-22-2004, 09:43 PM
Jimsbaby

same prob

well i have the same problem...maybe this should be added to your how to remove the dash this info would be great there if needed
Old 01-22-2004, 10:09 PM
deruvian

When I put on my white face guages, I did the same thing (remove the needle). My RPMs seemed a lot higher thereafter, and my speedo seemed a lot lower. I thought I put the needle back in place too, but I guess I was wrong.

What I decided to do worked, even though I was probably a little lucky to get the needles back in the exact proper position...

I simply removed the dash components around the instrument panel, and then removed the clear case around the panel. This fully exposed the gauges. I then turned the key to the on position (but didn't start the car), which sends power to the instruments. Pop off the needles for the speedo and the tach. Put them back on so that they point behind the stop-pin, but only pop them on partially. This will cause the actual pin that the needles go on to spin, but give you enough clearance to move the needles back up and over - in front of the stop-pin.

I moved the speedo needle about 1/2 inches behind the pin, and then back in front of it. I moved the tach needle about 3/8 inches behind pin, and then back in front of it.

Reinstall the clear cover and the dash, and you should be good to go.

I just went past a radar detector thingy a few days ago, and the speedo was dead-on. As for the RPMs, they seem like they are the same at 60mph as before.

Sorry if my explanation is unclear. This whole thing is slightly difficult to explain with words.

Words. who needs em!
Old 01-22-2004, 11:13 PM
Jimsbaby

THANKS

will have to try tomorrow morning right before work hope it works for me or if not that i dont get pulled over for speeding cause that wouldnt be fair cause honestly i wouldnt know how fast i was going

Jim